Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy_the_pooh

Snow to clean a Persian rug?

Wendy_the_Pooh
20 years ago

I have an old one that my mother had in her room as a kid (she's now in her seventies). It is a worn, middle-sized, fairly nice looking rug. She said I can shake it out and then take it outside and rub it with snow to clean it. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Wendy

Comments (19)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

I would suggest a professional rug cleaner with a good local reputation (check the BBB).

I doiube the snow would hurt it, but it wouldn't do any more than plain water for cleaning.

Don't shake them - it can damage the threads the knots are on.

• lindac
    20 years ago

That's an old method of cleaning a fine old Oriental....the thought is that the snow cleans it some without really wetting the rug. If you do try the snow thing....you will be really surprised at the dirty snow that shakes off your rug.....
    As lazy says....don't shake an old Oriental....bad on the knots and end fibers.
    I'm not infavor of "professional rug cleaners" for a fine old rug....I would turn it up side down and vacuum the back....turn and vacuum the front.....then do the hands and knees thing with a terry towel wet with just water.
    Linda C

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

And don't use a vacuum head with motorized brushes ... just a plain one.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks much for the good info, both of you. I may have gone and used the upright vacuum I have or the head with rotating brushes (vacuum-powered), but now I will use my old Eureka canister vacuum with the big metal head. I knew if I kept it long enough, I would use it again, lol!

• joann23456
    20 years ago

I read about that method in the newspaper years ago, when they interviewed a representative from a reputable rug company here.

• lindac
    20 years ago

Wendy....use the upright with the rotating brushes....but keep away from the fringes and edges. My "rug man"...a dealer in new and used Orientals, said that a Hoover with the rotating brushes is the best thing because it gets the grit out which cuts the fibers.
    Turn the rug over and vacuum the back with the beater bar cleaner and see what shakes out!!
    Linda C

• diane_pa
    20 years ago

I have a friend that knew a lot of Europeans with Persian, oriental rugs and this is how they cleaned them:

Put them out in a rain storm - the harder the rain the better, then dry in the sun. You can hang them over a deck railing or something.

I tried this with a Sarouk and it worked so beautifully (took out pet odors, too) so now that is how I clean my wool and non-wool area rugs.

• alisande
    20 years ago

Eithne, I'm saving your instructions to use with some of my rugs, hooked and Persian. Thanks!!

Susan

• jaybird
    20 years ago

Hi there,
    Just a quick question....what is the best way for we poor folks with no snow to clean our rugs????? Are we banished to the dungeon to scrub on hands and knees??????
    Sincere thanks for any ideas!

• farmgirlinky
    19 years ago

One advantage of snow cleaning rugs would be that dust mites would be killed in subfreezing temperatures, and can then be vacuumed out along with their icky byproducts with a HEPA filter. This might be my new winter sport. Thanks, Eithne.
    Lynn

• ivamae
    19 years ago

I have been told to never, ever vacuum a Persian rug. I was told to sweep with a good broom. The more you sweep the lovlier sheen the rug gets. Also to clean them, my Afghan friends put the rugs out on clean grass and pulled them around the yard.( Two people, each taking a corner) This also cleaned them very well.

• lindac
    19 years ago

Sorry...I have had Persian, iranian, Oriental rugs on my floor for well more than 40 years....and before that in my parents' home. I would NEVER think of not vacuuming them. It's the sand and grit that wear them....and vacuuming gets it out a lot better than a broom....unless you live in Afganistan and have no vacuum.
    Linda C

• PRO
    shotsimiller
    19 years ago

Hi..
    I'm in Manhattan and my 'rug' man is missing..which place
    to clean expensive orientals?? I've had poor luck at quite a
    few...would really appreciate your input..thanks alot.

• downtowner
    19 years ago

We have had good luck sending our carpets out to:
    Perfect Carpet Cleaning Co
    (914) 668-6131
    644 Whittier St
    Bronx, NY 10474

Others are reviews by Franklin Reports.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franklin reports

• RosieGarden
    19 years ago

I'm sorry I don't know anything about snow cleaning. I've sent my Karastan wool rug out for washing a few times, but was recently told not to clean it so often. The place washed it and hung it to dry.

I was told to vacuum crosswise, but not lengthwise on the lovely Persian rug I just bought and no beater bar. When I told the seller that my dog headed straight for the new rug the seller said it is ok to let the dog sleep on the rug. She's not a smelly dog, but I think she could have confined herself to the old Karastan rug instead of sleeping on the fine new beautiful soft rug. Dog has good taste, though!

• caseyb
    19 years ago

The no-vacume rule is probably a good one if you take your shoes off in the house and therefore don't get a lot of grit into the carpet to begin with. (As I believe one would in all of the places where these rugs are made/originate.)

• lindac
    19 years ago

These rugs were made in the hills of what is now Afghanastan and Iran.....very sandy places!
    Vacuuming is a good thing.....try turning your rug over and vacuuming the back with a beater bar vacuum....you will be amazed at what "shakes out".
    When I was a kid on the East coast....the Afghani rug dealers would always have a rug or 2 out on the sidewalk in front of their shop....to shpw their wares and also to show how hard wearing an Oriental rug is.
    Linda C

• Martha11
    11 years ago

So you wouldn't steam clean this 80 yr old wool Sarouk from Iran.