Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning dog "schmutz" off of furniture

Posted by mss103 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 19:46

I have a 2 YO Lab and a 14 YO Lab. The 14 YO has always done this cat-like thing, wherein she rubs herself along the furniture, leaving behind a swath of oil from her coat. I only have leather or wood furniture, and I've been just using a soapy water solution (Dawn, actually) to clean it. It's not a problem on the wood, but I've noticed that on the leather, it looks as if the color is actually wearing away in areas where it's been repeatedly cleaned. Any suggestions? I always follow up the cleaning of the leather with the application of the conditioner as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning dog "schmutz" off of furniture

Years ago, my Dad always used a product called "Saddle Soap" to clean and condition any leather items. If the leather is worn away, perhaps a shoemaker could give you some suggestions.

o
RE: Cleaning dog "schmutz" off of furniture

Go to a tack shop (horse supplies) and get some real saddle soap or even a non-glycerine based leather cleaner like Effax LederCombi. The Dawn is stripping the leather and you should never use that harsh detergent on leather!

It's too late to restore the color which was dyed into the top layers of the leather which have worn down, but keeping it well cleaned and conditioned might protect it from future deterioration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here