Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helen317

Clorox bleach pen; Mr. Clean eraser-revisited

Helen317
20 years ago

This weekend I used my Mr. Clean eraser for the first time. I wasn't really impressed. I think the thing is that I don't really worry much about marks on paint. I imagine that soon I will have the walls painted, and actually they still look pretty good. Someone mentioned using the eraser for her leather couch, so maybe I'll give it a try on mine, on a couple of spots I haven't been able to remove.

The bleach pen is fabulous. I did the grout in my kitchen and it's perfectly white now. Our house is probably over 50 years old (we've lived here for 39 yrs.) and the tile on the bathroom floor is really bad. You can imagine how awful the grout is. I did some of the grout today with the pen. Amazing! I think I'll have to go out and buy *tons* of them to do all the grout.

Is anyone still using these products? Have you found any great uses for them?

Comments (56)

• puc13
    20 years ago

I just picked up a box of Magic erasers this weekend and tried one out on some *very* old stains/spots on the stained woodwork around the windows in my kitchen. I was sold right then. I've cleaned scuff marks, hand prints, tobacco stains (yuck), etc...and the eraser didn't hurt the stain, paint, or cabinet finish (although I wouldn't really mind if it pulled the stain out, I'd probably go buy more to do all the woodwork - its really dark)
    I haven't tried the bleach pen yet...tomorrow the shower grout! I'm excited based on the some posts I've read.
    dana

• petaloid
    20 years ago

Helen, thanks for the advice to look for those products in supermarkets. Unfortunately ours have been on strike for about three months so I won't go there, but I did find the "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers" yesterday at Rite Aid drug store.

I bought a pack of two and have the first one about half used up already. I cleaned a lot of old stains and marks off of painted walls, doors and cabinetry and shined up the faucets. Also cleaned just one vinyl tile on the kitchen floor to show my husband -- what a difference!

It only helped a little on the stains on the fiberglass tub surround, but that is probably calcium deposits.

All in all I found the magic eraser fun and easy to use, effective on stained painted surfaces, vinyl and chrome. I like that it has no odor and does not irritate my hands like some other cleaning products.

-- Janene

• trekaren
    20 years ago

I love the eraser! My SIL bought one and loved it, and I finally bought mine.

Cleaned an old mark on the wall that nothing else had budged, and it came right off.

Then I was in the bathroom and noticed these old stains that I have hated since I lived there. They are on the bottom of the outside of the bathtub and the only thing I can figure is that someone stripped and refinished the old flooring, and maybe splashed up on the tub.

I have tried comet, and elbow grease and x14 and you name it.

I said why not try it! And with very little effort those 8 year old stains came right off! I was sooo amazed, that now I'm keeping my eyes open for other little tasks.

• alisande
    20 years ago

I used the eraser on my horrid (!) shower stall, and it removed the worst of the crud. It had no effect on the thin grey film that's left.

It really is rather magical, which leads me to wonder about the active ingredient, and what disease they'll announce that it causes a few years down the road....:-/

Susan

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

Count me out on these :( I bought some and cleaned a few areas on my walls that had gray marks from something that rubbed, like a piece of furniture we had moved or someone careless with the vacuum. The Mr. Clean erasers left an area on the wall where you can see the pattern of wiping marks. I have eggshell finish paint, and I definitely did not scrub hard. After panicking, I went back over the areas with a damp microfiber cloth. That helped, but when the light hits the spots you can still see :(

• chery2
    20 years ago

Found the erasers very impressive and can't wait to try the second one on DH's shower. Also curious about content -- mild bleach? whitewash? -- and hoping they will soon be CHEAPER. Bleach pen IS real magic, on fabric, grout -- I even used it on a burn mark made by soldering iron on kitchen island that looked like a cigarette burn. Now it fits right in w/ the flecks in the wood. chery-va

• mustangs81
    20 years ago

IMHO, I don't have a problem all with the cost (Walmart-2 for $1.88). Putting it in perspective, I cleaned the walls in 3 rooms (laundry room, living room, hallway) instead of painting them as I thought I had to. I used 4 erasers and it was well worth the $4.

• gumbycat
    20 years ago

Uses other than cleaing walls.....I stepped into a mud puddle wiith my new (that's "new" not "blue")suede shoes. They were a light beige and I thought they were a total loss. I decided I had nothing to lose by trying the sample Mr. Clean Eraser which I had recently received in the mail. The shoes now look like new once more. Had a dirty, light colored purse which I was about to toss and decided to give it a try with Mr. Clean Eraser. Same results. I agree, however, that they deteriorate much too quickly. I told them that on the questionaire which came with the sample.

• Katie S
    20 years ago

Have you all tried them dry? Silly me-- I did not read the directions first and tried it without wetting it at all-- and now I use them that way a lot! They work better dry on some things than they do wet! But once they have been wet this is not the case. So now I keep an extra just for dry.

• kathyg_in_mi
    20 years ago

Oh Gumbycat,
    Thank you so much about the hint for shoes! My very expensive white New Balance ($95) were so bad. I have a pair for work (filthy) and another pair starting to get dirty. Wow, tonight I will give them a really great cleaning. Maybe I won't be able to tell the old from the new! I don't know why the sponges shed, but I can all ways vacuum!
    I can use them dry too? What is the difference?
    Kathy G in MI

• mustangs81
    20 years ago

I was wiping cat hair off my off-white silk upholstered chair with a black rubber pet hair remover brush. It left black marks all over the chair. Well, I was thinking outside the box and out of desperation tried Mr Clear eraser. Voila...it got rid of the black marks!

• kathyg_in_mi
    20 years ago

Woo Hoo! Look at my feet! Clean shoes!
    Kathy G in MI

• lindac
    20 years ago

I think the sponges contain a very fine abrasive. They work great on my stainless steel cook top as well as walls, tile, formica and my white leather sofa....but I am very gentle on the sofa!
    I have an old pink pigskin purse that is getting pretty bad, although I only carry it rarely. Think I'll gif the sponges a go on that!
    Linda C

• gluecille
    20 years ago

I love the clorox bleach pen and after reading all of your posts about the Mr. Clean eraser I have added that to my Wal-Mart list. Thanks guys!

• kathyg_in_mi
    20 years ago

Weed30,
    Yep, I have streaks where I wiped down the front door, but I'll take some streaks, rather than the dirt!
    Kathy G in MI (with 3 boys and lots of their friends)

• Vique_Pa
    20 years ago

I don't know how the erasers could get any cheaper with out giving them away. I do love them. Haven't tried the bleach pen yet, but am anxious to.

• gluecille
    20 years ago

I got the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser today at Wal-Mart. I couldn't wait to try them out. The surround tub in the guest bathroom looked horrible. I have tried everything to get it clean and nothing worked. Guess what? They worked like a charm. No hard scrubbing at all. It looks like a new tub. I am so happy with them. I was amazed at how they seem to just disappear. I don't know what they are made of but whatever it is its great stuff.

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

Um, regarding the bleach pens...I think they are nifty looking, but why not just pour a bit of bleach into a cup with water and use a Q-tip or a small paintbrush?

I'm cheap!

• Helen317
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Weed, the bleach in the pen is mixed with something (??) that makes it very thick. It really stays on whatever surface you put it on. I used to use Tilex on the old tiles in my bathroom and it did nothing. The bleach pen actually got the tiles white.

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

Aha! Guess I will mix mine with Jello ;)

Just kidding, might have to try one after all.

• Wild_Chicken
    20 years ago

I just used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my glass shower walls this morning. I poured 1 cup of white vinegar in a glass measuring cup and heated it for about 1-1/2 minutes. Then I dipped the magic eraser in it and went to work on my soap-acummed glass walls.

BEAUTIFUL RESULTS!!!!!!!! Theglasss is shiny, gorgeous, and looks like new!

PS: The magic erasers are available on DrugStore.com if you can't find them locally.

• KimmyStar
    20 years ago

I love to use the eraser on my ceramic top range. Something always manages to spill on that top, and the Mr. Clean erasers really get the gunk off! Love the clorox pens because they're gel and you can place the stuff right where you want it!
    I was lured to THS for the new mosaic and stained glass forum....it's a whole other world!
    Kimmy

• mustangs81
    20 years ago

I have been a Mr Clean Magic Eraser fan since it first hit the market. I have another success story:

I have a white silk wingback chair. DH grabs it every time he comes around the corner to enter the room, I guess he uses it like a hand rail. Yesterday I noticed that it was "black" at the top of the chair where he grabs it. I used the ME on it, initially it was discolored. I just checked it this morning and it's just like new!

As impressed as I am with this product, I did have the same reaction on a newly painted wall that others have experienced. While it got rid of the marks, it did leave a area of very visible shine. Perhaps it is the type of paint, I have used it on walls all through the house with no problems.

• Rosemary_CA
    20 years ago

I found the Clorox Bleach Pen at Target and tried it on the mildew spots on our boat curtains. Worked great. The curtains are white with red and blue trim and I thought we would have to replace them because of the mildew.

Now I have to buy the Mr Clean Eraser.

Linda

• Rosemary_CA
    20 years ago

I got the Eraser and used it on my white plastic patio table that had a winter's worth of dirt on it. That table looks like new now.

I just love this forum to find out about new products.

Linda

• jerry_nj
    20 years ago

Given the many success stories, and wondering what can be done to improve the look of old Formica, I wonder if anyone has used the Mr. Clean ME on Formica... some have noted a "shine" left on painted surfaces cleaned with the ME. A "shine" left on the Formica would be good :)

I may try, but for now I ask on this thread to see if others have any experience.

On another posting, I asked about restoring old Formica, and use of paste wax was suggested, I'll try that too, perhaps after cleaning with a ME.

• earthworm
    20 years ago

I have spilled some bleach on old concrete, using no brush or anything - WOW !! Does this ever clean !! Better than the pressure washer !! Even a good portion of oil stains are removed with little effort.

So why not simply mix the bleach with baking soda and " go to town ??"

One can also, via using bleach soaked cloths and plastic to prevent drying, at least partially restore old porcelain.

The sticks and pens, however, do have their place. We Americans probably manufacture the finest cleaning items on the planet ..

• alicesRestaurant
    20 years ago

Earthworm --
    You ask:
    "So why not simply mix the bleach with baking soda and
    go to town ??"

If I understand you, you are asking a question that
    has been asked earlier, i.e. why would one buy
    a bleach pen when one can use bleach from the bottle
    and still get something clean? (or add baking soda
    and scrub a little and get something cleaner)?

Pardon me if this was only rhetorical. But I wanted
    to repeat the point that it is the gel in the pen that
    makes a tremendous difference. Perhaps it is only useful
    to those of us who are sensive to the fumes of bleach.
    I had discontinued using it until this bleach pen.
    Now, though there is a bleach odor of course, because you
    have to use so much less bleach to get out spots, the
    problem of being exposed to the fumes is much less.
    If I soaked a blouse in bleach (dilusted), it was a big deal
    with a big fume. Now I can just take the pen and dab the
    spots. And come back a little later and bingo, it is done.

But even in my earlier days when I tried to clean grout
    with bleach, I tried soaking strips of rags with diluted
    bleach to the extent that I could slap the strips on the
    tile grout and hope they would stay. I tried straight
    bleach in desparation once to see if it would help.
    I usually got the strips to "stick" but the resulting job
    was pretty poor, not to mention suffering the toxic
    smell. Now, the stuff from the pen sticks and really
    does the job and I don't have to worry with the fumes
    smelling up the whole bathroom (and house) nearly as much.

I only need bleach occasionally. I've learned that Oxyclean
    is good for large flat surfaces such as a driveway or
    clothes that need whitening. But when I have some spots
    to remove, especially mold, I want the bleach pen.

--Alice

• Cinderella
    20 years ago

I have the Mr. Clean erasers. The first time I used it it made my hand itch like crazy so I have started using a rubber/plastic glove. I have also noticed that when you use it each time (when you wet it) that there is a fine dust that flies up and even though I avoid the dust it still bothers me...makes my nose stuffy and I get a bad taste in my mouth. I posted a question about these on another site and someone found out what was in them for me.
    Turns out there is formaldahyde (sp?) in them. I did use up the first one but probably won't use the second one. I must be very sensative to them but I won't be buying anymore.

• webfoot88
    20 years ago

I agree the Mr. Clean eraser is amazing. I have two toddlers so I always have smudges to clean, and it cleans it right up!

• gerrysrose
    20 years ago

I clean homes and the bleach pen and magic erasers are a godsend. Also clorox cleaning wipes for every room have made hauling jugs and bottles of cleaners and bags of rags around. I now dont have to wash nearly any rags and have found that the magic eraser works on so many things even car interiors since my van is nearly lived in.

• carlanne
    19 years ago

The regular price at our supermarket for the bleach pen was $2.99! It contains only 2 ounces including "surfectant" which I think is a detergent type gel. I bought it using coupons and although I can see its usage on stained multi colored fabrics, I feel it provides too little product to justify the price when cleaning grout. I have attempted to get the company to give me reimbursement in the form of coupones for their other products, they told me to go scratch. I feel cheated by Clorox.

• hannah
    19 years ago

I found a great use for Mr. Clean Magic Erasers!
    I had previously spent literally hours with a scrub brush and all sorts of different cleaners, trying desperately to clean up my
    painted metal pool-side furniture!
    Using a scrub brush was like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole...LOL
    ...and in the end...they didn't even come clean...the air pollution being the biggest problem.

Was about to toss it all and buy new, when I decided to try the erasers on them.
    OMG!!!!!!!!! Not only do they clean-up the painted surface like new...but the thick PLASTIC WEBBED STRIPS now look awesome!!!!

I'll be darned! LOL

• RosieGarden
    19 years ago

I tried the mr. clean eraser on my GC's recommendation. They do work great, but I also wonder about the active ingredient. I was wondering if they contain some kind of nanoparticles that are getting in my skin and lungs. There isn't any information on the package container.

• cookie8
    18 years ago

Weed30, I'd question your paint. I have eggshell and it has never lightened the colour although it was a pretty light colour to begin with. I'm with the love group. I just cleaned a grease spot on wood. I am a little leary of what is in it to make it clean so well, so I will use in moderation, sounds weird I bet.

• alydev
    18 years ago

There is a link to the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the Magic erasers on the mr clean products website.

There is no cleaning solution in the erasers. It's the fine abrasive type of material that makes it clean so well.

It does contain formaldehyde as one of the four materials that make it up.
    Interesing..

• alydev
    18 years ago

Wow! I tried the eraser on my hazy glass shower doors and it was amazing. It came right off with barely any elbow grease. Just some wiping and the doors are completely clear again. I love this little eraser.

Next I'm going to try the clorox pen on the white grout in my bathroom. The shower floor turns yellow so quickly!

• lynns
    18 years ago

All the eraser answers are here:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/magic-eraser?hl=mr&hl=clean&hl=eraser

You might try saving the answers.com site. It's wonderful. You can also download the little program (puts a teeny little tab on the edge of the screen that you click on and it streches out) and just type the word or question in the space and it brings up the answering webpage. Program is on their home page. No spam or adware.

• jannie
    18 years ago

Years ago, my friend used Tilex in her bathroom. She sprayed it on the walls, left the room. When she returned, the smell was so strong she fainted. Be very careful with bleach.

• jahmmy
    18 years ago

I'm with you Weed30 and Chery2. It left marks on my Benjamin Moore paint jobs. I haven't used them since.

• vlys
    18 years ago

The antique white stained (French Provencial style) cabinet in my bathroom has yellowed from moisture & also has built up dust/grime.
    I have the Major Eraser but hestitant using it on the cabinet..should I?

• User
    18 years ago

I also had the problem of the eraser leaving dull marks on my paint. My walls are Benjamin Moore eggshell and my trim/doors are BM oil. It left a hazy mark on both, which you can see from an angle. I will definitely not be using them for that any more, which is too bad because they did a good job of removing spots. But I will use them again to clean my kids' white tennis shoes! I'm kind of afraid to use it on my glass shower door.

• calpat
    18 years ago

I just spent 2 days cleaning grout with the pen and it worked great...BUT....in addition to the cleaning I got some grout sealer, that took some time to set up, but it's necessary to let the sealer penetrate & dry. I hate housekeeping, so I'm using any product that helps keep my home cleaner for a longer period of time.

• uyenster
    17 years ago

I, too, did not like the burnish marks the eraser left on my flat walls and low-gloss trim. I have better (safer) results with cube-shaped art gum erasers, although they do crumble to the floor and make another mess to clean up. A dozen probably cost less than $6.

• marys1000
    17 years ago

So apparently it cleans mostly by a very fine scraping action is what it sounds like. Sounds like I wouldn't use it on my new paint job. Maybe an old paint job I didn't care to much about in moderation. I might try it on a leather purse that has gotten discolored.

"There is no cleaning solution in the erasers. It's the fine abrasive type of material that makes it clean so well."

• kitlacy
    17 years ago

I think the Mr. Clean Eraser is the greatest invention since sliced bread! I was going to have my baseboards and woodwork repainted....no longer. eraser made it look freshly painted. I don't care what they cost. I've never seen anything work like this. Try it out in your car! Especially the door panels, leather seats, etc. Better than detailing. Oh and carpet stains..............wow.

• jannie
    17 years ago

I used Mr. Clean eraser to wash an entire wall. It's in a hallway and was covered with fingerprints. It looked like it was newly painted.

• jenmwalk
    17 years ago

I love the erasers. I use them from scuff marks on the floor, to my white french doors interior and exterior. It does effect the paint on the walls but I would rather not see black marks on the wall. I find that if I use it on the entire area it doesn't look so bad or lightly use it just on the marks. I use them on my granite counter tops and bath tubs...everywhere!

I didn't find the clorax pen worked as well. I used it on the grout in my shower and it didn't make it clean. I did however find some spray at the dollar general that works wonders on the grout. I'm not sure of the name but it is in an orange and green spray bottle. Just spray and leave it on and it becomes perfectly white.

• brutuses
    17 years ago

Bleach destroys grout. Just thought I'd mention that for people who are still using bleach to clean there grout and tile. I understand Oxiclean is great for tile grout and it won't harm the grout.

• brenda728
    17 years ago

Mr. Clean eraser is incredible. What won't it do? My husband was cleaning his boat (fiberglass hull) and it had scuff marks along the sides and on the floor. He tried brush and soap, a nylon scrubbie and was planning to get steel wool when I stopped him and told him to use my Mr. Clean eraser. He scoffed and said these marks were so stubborn that a "sponge" will do nothing. I insisted he try it and they were EASILY removed! It took him just a minute or two remove all the scuffs, and he had been laboring for nearly an hour with the other items. He was amazed! I have several on hand at all times for shower doors, scuff marks on floors, baseboards and walls. I also used it to remove specks of dried paint from woodwork. Use a light hand though, because it will remove the finish if you are over zealous.