Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Think I ruined my pot forever

Posted by deanie1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 19:07

I have a large all stainless steel pot that I've wrecked. I put boiling water in it to get some humidity in the house and left it to boil for maybe 12 hours or so -- always making sure that the pot was constantly filled with boiling water -- it never ran dry. But when I emptied the pot, the bottom of it was extremely rough and there are some discolorations. There's also a rainbow-colored ring around the inside where the water line was most of the time. It's not my nice, pretty smooth-bottom pot anymore. Can anyone tell me what I can do?.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Think I ruined my pot forever

I think your pot is discolored from the water. I had the same thing happen to my pot and the next time I simmered fruit to get juice for jelly the discoloration got less and less. Try boiling some vinegar and water in it and then scrub it with an sos pad

o

I have a set of stainless pots that are about 35 years old. They get pretty hard use. The smallest one has that "rainbow" effect inside but the pot works fine and the outside looks perfect and shiny. so I continue using it. The object is to cook and heat food, not have a perfect looking pot,right?

o

"Cameo Aluminum and Stainless Steel Cleaner" works great on ss pots and pans.

Look for it at your grocery store. Should be in the same aisle as dishwashing liquid.

It's in a little plastic can, like kitchen cleanser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cameo Cleaner (scroll down a bit)

o

Boil a pot of water with at least a cup of vinegar in it. I cleaned the minerals out of my tea kettle this way, and it was like new when done. You will want to open the window for lessening the vinegar smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here