Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
soot on walls

Posted by embersmomma (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 18:58

I have burned several candles in my bathroom. They were apparently to close to the wall and now there is soot all over my walls. All four, as well as my ceiling. I used windex to get most of it off, but you can still see traces of soot. Does anyone know of a way to get this stuff of. And by the way my ceiling is textured.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: soot on walls

I came on to post this same thing a few days ago, but then I tried my Mr. Clean magic eraser and it helped a lot. I don't know what kind of paint you have, but it worked on my bathroom wall in the apartment... very flat white paint. Not glossy at all. I have candles on the back of the toilet and on sink counter. The ones on the toilet tank always leave a black mark, but I think it's because the wicks are supposed to be trimmed shorter. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention. The first time it happened, I took care of it immediately... this last time I was *lazy* and let it sit a few days. It was much tougher to get off. I don't know what to to on a textured ceiling... I've heard of a product called Instagone for water spots on ceilings... you might try that. Good luck!


 o
RE: soot on walls

I used to burn candles and stopped because of the soot problem. The soot got on the walls of every room in the house even thought the candles were only burned in one room. You didn't notice the soot until you moved a picture on the wall or something like that. My white lampshades got dingy. My curtains got soot in the folds. Even the rubber seals on my refigerator and micro got sooty and black.

Burning soy candles prevents most of this. Also don't buy candles with a wire in the wick. It's not good to breath the fumes of burning aluminum.


 o
RE: soot on walls

Now I was lazy to. It took a while actually before I noticed. It was thick. I used liquid blue Mr. Clean, but Windex worked better. I forgot about the eraser. Great idea. I've wanted one anyways. About these soy candles, I don't know anything about. How can I find more info.?


 o
RE: soot on walls

Hi - There's a thing called a "dry sponge" that we used to use around our fireplace. Worked pretty well on the rough-textured brick and stone. Anyplace that has janitorial supplies should have one--maybe Lowes or Home Depot?


 o
RE: soot on walls

If walls and ceilings are smooth, try using your mop. Bigger surface means faster cleaning. Windex is usually good for soot, but like any surface, should be wiped dry.


 o
RE: soot on walls

I'm sure that this is probably just candle soot but I just wanted to say that Carbon Monoxide can also be the cause of a sooty film on the walls and ceilings. It's just something I saw on the news and I was not aware of.


 o
RE: soot on walls

embersmomma, just google 'soy candles' and you will get hundreds of places that sell them. You can also find them sold in health food stores and specialty shops and craft fairs.

I don't have a favorite brand to recommend, I buy what ever strikes my fancy when I see them.

Here is what Wikipedia.org says about soy candles:

Soy wax made from the soybean plant has become an alternative to paraffin wax. Soy candles burn clean producing 90-95% less soot than paraffin candles and burn cooler resulting in faster scent dispersion. Soy wax is also water soluble making wax spills easier to clean up by using hot soapy water. Highly scented soy candles can be purchased in many places including online through many sites offering natural alternatives to petroleum based paraffin.

++++

arkansa_girl, do you happen to have a link to the news on carbon monixide? Often times news shows have the stuff in text on their website. I don't know if you are talking about a local news show in your area or a national network news show. Nothing comes up in a Google for me.


 o
RE: soot on walls

bud wi~I was watching local news...someone died from CM Poisoning at the beginning of winter so they were telling people about detectors and also mentioned that soot on walls is a tell tale sign of CM build-up in the home. Personally I had never heard this either but I don't have any reason to doubt it.


 o
RE: soot on walls

I am not doubting it. I'd just like to learn more about this.

I had this problem on another forum. If I ask for more info and links, some people think I am trying to be arguementive and contrary.

Maybe my writing style comes across as too blunt. Sorry.


 o
RE: soot on walls

OH no, I didn't take it like that at all! I'm just saying that I assume it's true since it was the news. Maybe you could contact your local fire department for some more information about CM.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here