Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning white grout

Posted by hpny2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 17:45

I now have beautifully clean grout again! My main bath has pale blue floor tiles with white grout. Looked beautiful when first installed (25 yrs ago), but has been a hassle cleaning the grout ever since. I tried so many things but it never came completely clean. Recently, I found 2 different tips for cleaning white grout, #1 said to use an oxygen cleaner with water solution, sponge on liberally and let it sit for 15 min, then scrub with a brush, rinse and let dry. #2 was to use a magic eraser to scrub the grout. I used a combination of the 2, first the oxygen cleaner, followed by a good scrubbing with the brush, then scrub with the magic eraser and rinse with clean water. Yes, it took a fair amount of elbow grease, but lo and behold, my beautiful white grout is back! After 25 yrs, I finally found something that works! I'll give it a couple of days to dry really well, and then seal it. Never again will I use white grout, but at least I've finally found a way to get it clean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning white grout

Thanks for posting your results. If I were you, I would apply a grout sealer to complete the job.

o

Yes, thanks I plan to seal it tomorrow. I will be diligent in resealing it every year or 2 from now on!

o

What kind/brand of oxygen cleaner did you use?

o

I just got some from the Dollar Store, not sure what the brand is, some off brand type. I think it is basically the same as the Oxyclean type. It really worked great, but I also used Magic Erasers, (also from the dollar store, another no name brand) Took a good amount of scrubbing but now it looks great. I sealed it over the weekend and in the future when I wash the floor, I'll add some oxyclean in the water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here