Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldcrafty

suggestions to clean stove grates

oldcrafty
13 years ago

About 2 years ago I purchased a new gas range. DID NOT want gray grates and that seemed to be all that was available. I can't wash each time someone cooks on the range as I am gone all day and others are at home to cook. The grates have given me nothing but nightmares and lots of extra time in the kitchen. Soneone suggested I soak them in ammonia, that worked GREAT. I would put them in a sealed rubbermaid type container and completely submerse them under the ammonia and wa-la the next morning they were a breeze to wash.....no scrubbing!!! Now to my horror the gray enamel finish is starting to peal off so I need to find another cleaning solution.

Comments (2)

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

Do NOT put it in the self-cleaning oven. I had the same problem with my gray stove grates and thought I was such a genius using my oven to clean them. They came out beautiful the first time, and after the second time the enamel started breaking off. I finally had to get a new stovetop, this time SS with black cast iron (which has its own cleaning issues.)

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I have a Dacor SS top with black grates (which I just cleaned by the way) and I hate it.

Never again. Next time I'll get one with the black enameled top that you can scrub. I love gas but it's a real pain to keep clean. My Mom has a ceran top and it's so easy to keep clean but so awful to cook on.

Sigh ....