Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Brass Stiffel Lamps

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 17:25

I have two very nice lamps (brass) that are about 12 years old. They could use a cleaning. Any ideas on what to use?

Also the finish on one of them looks good but the other one is kind of crackled looking (has been that way for a long time). Any idea why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Brass Stiffel Lamps

Nice brass lamps tend to have a laquer finish on them to protect the brass sheen. If you plan to polish them, you are going to have trouble. The laquer does not come off easily, so only the exposed spots will get polished. You will end up with a very uneven finish.

Try to see if there is a Stiffel site and what they recommend.

o

Remove the laquer with acetone.....then polish.
But consider the fact that the finish was meant to look "crackled".
I have a Stiffel lamp that is easily 40 years old....a.nd the brass looks fine. I have cleaned it with a damp cloth.
Linda C

o

Leave them alone and don't try and polish them. If they were the Antique Brass that is under the sealant. I have 11 of these lamps and the first one I puchased when I was 18 and will be 56 this June. I purchased the matching table tray lamp when I turned 30. Thay are just great! I just wipe mine down with a damp cloth and dry them as I go. I have changed the shades many times through the years but don't ever try to polish them. My former MIL used Brasso on her's and ruined them. That killed me as they were a Christmas gift from me the second year I was married. I don't know what I was thinking as they sat upon fake, Formica ends tables, with a 35 year old $200 sofa bed between the 2. My X did learn from me but her parents were not able to be taught anything.

o

Glad you told me about the Brasso. We have some and I was tempted to try it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here