Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get gum off wood furniture?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 09 at 17:10

I just made a new cushion for my grandfathers old rocking chair. I went to remove the old seat cushion and found gum stuck to the wood. This is on the finished part of the wood seat, not the underside. Somebody (hard to believe they would do this, but probably one of my childrens friends) put their gum under the seat cushion where it was pressed flat and smeared a lot before drying hard. I'm so mad!

How can I get this off? The chair still has its original finish, which scratches easily.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get gum off wood furniture?

The best way would be to get the gum to harden so you can snap it off. Generally they recommend putting an ice cube on it to cool it down, but you might want to wrap the cube in saran wrap.

Hey, it's 9 degrees outside my house right now. I wonder whether you could just set the chair outside?

Or possibly try Goof-Off, but it might take some of the finish along with it.

o

Snap or scrape off what you can....then use oil. The "mother's own" way to get gum out of your child's hair is to rub peanut butter into it....then wash....I'll bet it will work for a chair too!!....then just wipe. peanut butter won't hurt the finish.
Linda C

o

Thanks for the help. Mission accomplished. I used the ice first and got the big chunks off. It still took a lot of fingernail prying. The little smears would not chip off, so I applied some canola oil. I didnt have peanut butter, no one here eats it. The oil soak and a lot of scrubbing with a rag did the trick. It still got a few tiny scratches but most of those will be under the new cushion. Down the road I will have to refinish this chair, as the finish is worn off in parts and has bloom in others, but at least now I can push that job further down the road!

What would I do without these forums? My husband thinks Im an expert on everything.

o

Glad it worked for you....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here