Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myclementine

Why are there yellow spots on my vinyl flooring?

myclementine
17 years ago

I am curious if any of you know why some flooring gets yellow spots on it.

I had a weight scale in spot and there are now 4 yellow spots under it and infront of our shower under where out previous rug sat its yellow there.

I have tried everything to remove the spots they aren't going away.

Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• groomingal
    17 years ago

I'm guessing the rubber is causing it. The scale should have 4 rubber pads on the bottom and did your bathrug have a rubber backing?
    Have you tried bleach water?

• patsyann
    17 years ago

I had the same thing when I moved a clothes hamper. I tried everything,with no luck. I was told this is common when you cover the vinyl with anything for a long period of time.Eventually the yellowing dissapeared.

• elsie80
    17 years ago

We had vinyl flooring installed in our kitchen and entry way two years ago. The installers (an old hippie group with magnificent skills!) told us to NEVER use a rug with rubber backing. There was nothing in the brochures we had describing the flooring that made us aware of the no rubber business. I had never thought about rubber feet until reading this post, but they would fall in the same category. In reading through the fine print (and I do mean FINE) on the manufacturer's web site, I found the reference to not using anything with a rubber backing, or discoloration of the floor would result, and warranty does not apply. Not only does the warranty not apply, but there is absolutely no fix other than replacing the flooring. Now - the question is - is latex the same as rubber? It is a form of rubber, but if you read the instructions on the back of latex backed products, they say they will not stain or discolor "floors". Do they mean wood, vinyl, ceramic (not much damages ceramic)? My solution with the vinyl floors has been no rubber, no latex. Makes putting a non-slipping rug down on vinyl a challenge!

Elsie

• researchhound
    17 years ago

Yep, it's the rubber backing on your rugs that did it. Assume your scales had rubber feet pads. Same thing had happened to us but we were going to replace the floor anyway so it didn't matter. If you switch to non-rubber backed rugs, you can use the shelf liner material which is non-skid and has a weaved pattern to it. Not supposed to cause the yellowing on vinyl. We used it for quite a long time without negative effects. You can get it by the roll at most grocery stores or HD.

• tshores
    17 years ago

The vinyl in my kitchen turned yellow around the refrigerator, and there's nothing on top of the vinyl there.

• keith7747
    14 years ago

After I got a new Allure vinyl floor for my kitchen, I found out that I can't use rubber backing rugs. This possed a great problem for me as I am a single guy and the only rugs I know of have a rubber backing. My floor is really bare looking. New, pretty, but bare.
    I read your post earlier and you said to use shelf liner material. That is rubber as well. At least what I have seen.
    Can I use a piece of carpet reminent and put the shelf liner under it somehow. The carpet backing is kind of scratchy so I know not to put that down on the floor without some kind of protection to the floor.
    YOUR help would really help me at this time.
    THANKS,
    Keith, (just a single guy)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Keith - there are options for carpeting besides rubber back rugs. Post a photo of your kitchen on the Home Decorating forum and you will get suggestions of what to buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating forum

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

The yellowing can't be removed. I had it on my last floor. I have Amtico now and I don't take any chances. I have one rug in front of my sink and it's all cotton. I got it at Kohls.

• darrah
    14 years ago

tshores -

You may have a slow leak. Do you have an ice maker? We had the same problem by the toilet. When we pulled up the vinyl flooring we had mold underneath because of slow leak from the toilet.

• mark40511
    14 years ago

Hmmmmm......I have a white vinyl floor with the black diamond shapes in my kitchen...I have these yellow spots where I keep the cats water bowl...There has never been any rug with rubber backing there or anything and it's impossible to remove.....The cat drinks water with her paw and it drips onto the floor so water does stay in those spots that are yellow. Can water cause this as well?

• EMDesigns
    10 years ago

Why don't you use a 100% felt pad as a buffer between the rug and vinyl flooring. This is as long as that rug won't shift anywhere.

I bought one from here, The 1/4" is super thin, but does the job quite nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: A felt rug pad

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area