Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susie53_gw

Swiffer Mop Bottle

susie53_gw
13 years ago

I have a Swiffer Mop and really like it for quick clean ups... I hate paying for the bottle of cleaner. I found on the internet where you can take the cap off and refill them. I tried it and it works.. Here is how you do it..

Boil a pan of water. Place the bottle top in the boiling water for about 2 minutes. Take it out and give it a hard turn. The lid will come off. It said to clip the pieces that are on the inside off but I didn't do this and it worked great. Refill the bottle and you are all set..

Hope this helps save some of you money.. It sure has me..

Comments (4)

• jannie
    13 years ago

Thanks. i sqaw a YouTube vodeo about this. But I didn't know about cutting off those pieces. by the way, for replacement solution I reccommend abot a tablespoon of Lysol and fill the rest of the way with water. I tried dish detergent (Dawn) but it made the floor slippery and dangerous.And didn't smell as nice, teehee.

• SharonaZamboni
    13 years ago

I just put the cap into a vise, then twist the bottle. I don't cut anything, and the cap doesn't leak after refilling.

I will try the boiling water method, too. Not everyone has a vise handy!

• mzdee
    13 years ago

I used the boiling water method a couple of days ago. Top came right off. Oh Joy!! I use Bona cleaner for my floors and it works great. Thank goodness for the internet.

• dudleyfuddpucker
    13 years ago

I replaced my Swiffer with the Rubbermaid Reveal mop. Now I use any cleaner I want (it's a refillable bottle) and have washable microfiber mop surfaces instead of of disposable paper ones. Also, the trigger is manual (i.e. no batteries required) Far less waste, and the price was less than a new Swiffer kit.

The only downside I have found so far is that the solution bottle is not held in real, super tight. It has never ever fallen out in normal use or cleaning, but I had a habit with the Swiffer of flipping it upside down to check how dirty the head was. If I do this on the Reveal without holding the bottle in place it will fall out onto the floor. It stays sealed so no spills occur, but still it can surprise you if it's not expected.

I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with Rubbermaid - just a happy customer.