Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

grout cleaning?

dgmarie
15 years ago

Is there anything besides steam that will clean floor grout in the kitchen? I tried soft scrub with bleach and steel wool and it won't come clean. The floor grout is pale grey in low traffic areas and nearly black in high traffic areas. I don't own a fancy steam cleaning and don't want to spend $400 for Stanley Steamer to do it. Tips PLEASE!! It isn't my dirt (previous owner's) but I want things clean!

Comments (5)

• jenica
    15 years ago

Funny you should ask, I just cleaned the grout on my bathroom floor today. I use Cascade dishwasher detergent. Wet a toothbrush dip it in the cascade and scrub the grout. It'll get it back to it's original color really quick. Just make sure you rinse well or it will leave a white residue.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Neat, jenica! Do you use the powder or the liquid version?

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

We didn't realize when we moved into our new home, the grout hadn't been sealed to begin with, so no amount of steam cleaning or cleaning on our hands and knees with a bevy of cleaners was getting or keeping the grout clean. We had to do some serious cleaning using a spray-on product from Lowe's (designed for the job) and then apply a grout sealer. Lesson learned, don't trust people who install your tile to finish the job.... Lesson #2, be sure to apply sealer at least once a year.

-Grainlady

• marciag
    15 years ago

We are in the middle of renovating our kitchen. The 10 year old ceramic tile floor with off-white grout is staying and some of the new cabinets will move over to reveal the unstained floor. The visible portion is filthy--from 10 years of use plus the current workers and demolition. It is YUK. I've been working on the grout and here is my formula which has been bringing it back to almost new> I can compare it with the unstained grout which was under the cabinets and was pristine & it looks quite good. (Be aware--takes elbow grease and patience & wear gloves):

Spray grout with 3/4 strength Krud Kutter or similar heavy duty detergent. Let this sit on the grout for about 10 minutes.

Scrub with stiff grout brush. Wipe with rinsed rag. Scrub again with a larger scrubber brush (like you would use for your bathroom tub or floor). Scrub with MR Clean Eraser sponge (this step is really making the difference).

Then spray with hydrogen peroxide to whiten a bit more ,let it sit for a few moments, and wipe (check your grout to be sure peroxide will not stain or bleach it out too much). I've read it is safe for grout. Mop with clean water. I have been doing a 4X4 area at a time.
    It goes quickly & I am really happy with the results.
    My experience with sealers has not been good. I've not found that they make a difference, but others may have a different opinion.

Good luck!

• mel_bc
    15 years ago

I found an amazing product that cleaned our off white and white grout to new condition when we were prepping it to sell our house. It is called Mr. Clean magic eraser pads. They really are amazing. I did my entire kitchen and dining room in minutes. I highly recommend it!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks