Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woco_gw

Mold in window sill???

woco
17 years ago

How do you kill mold in your window sills? I come home from work and blow my nose all night long. I think that it is because we have some mold from the moisture on our windows. I sealed the windows about 4 years ago but it did not stop the mold. This is also a manufactured home.

Bill

Comments (14)

• xantippe
    17 years ago

We've had terrible mold problems in all the old houses I've lived in (I live in the damp Pacific Northwest), and what works absolutely wonders for us is Tilex Mildew Remover. You can find it at any well-stocked grocery store in the cleaning aisle. It's a bleach-based product, which you just spray on the mold and let sit (we do 10-15 minutes, but the bottle calls for 5 minutes per application). Then wipe off. That's it! The mold is miraculously gone, and doesn't come back for quite a while. I HIGHLY recommend this product.

Of course, it does stink and does bleach, so be careful using it.

Good luck!

• oakleif
    17 years ago

I've always used bleach for getting rid of mold so xantippe is sure to be right.
    oakleif

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

Maybe a dehumidifier. 60% humidity and below mold isn't supposed to flourish.

Maybe a HEPA air filter. Filters the mold/pollen/dust out of the air, but doesnt stop it from growing.

• lindac
    17 years ago

The reason you have mold is because you sealed the windows...un seal them, open them up and let the dry Utah air dry them out....use bleach to get rid of the mold, paint ( unless your windows are metal) and close again. Open them periodically to allow them to dry.
    Mold grows where it's damp...your windows obviously have some condensation causing them to be damp.
    Linda C

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago

A home remedy for mold/mildew:

2 c. chlorine bleach
    6 c. water

Wash surface and rinse.

• rushmom3
    17 years ago

Are these treatments ok on woodwork?? I have mold on all my window sills from condensation on the windows.
    Thanks!

• hendricus
    17 years ago

Bleach is the only thing that kills mold, period.

• greenhummer
    17 years ago

You might want to get a barometer for the house and check the humidity content. High humidity might be coming from another source.

• moffitt_wendy
    8 years ago

I was told by an Inspector that u should NEVER use bleach... all's bleach will do is cause the mold to spread rapidly due to it being attacked...He sd to use Ammonia and vinegar water....I just did my windowsill and it's gone...use a mask, rubber gloves and something to cover ur eyes and don't let it get everywhere...and put a dehumidifier in the house....

• lindac92
    8 years ago

You mix ammonia and vinegar and you are doing nothing....they neutralize each other. Start with one of those products and then finish with the other to neutralize the vinegar...or the ammonia...which ever you started with. But mixing them only makes for the release of clorine gas, and in the air it's not doing any good for the mold!

• Harlow
    8 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I have read articles about bleach use on mold. The mold reacts to the bleach releasing voc's, and causing mold spores to scatter. Bleach is great for whitening, but I can't use it for health reasons. I have had to be creative in mold removal because I also am highly creative to mold, causing me to be on high dose steroids for inflammation reduction. I have had good success with borax/hydrogen peroxide mixture. I have also used a product called concrobium I picked up from home depot. It is voc, bleach, and ammonia free. So no worries about furniture, carpet or clothes bleaching. As it dries it crushes the mold spores, killing them, and leaves behind a film to inhibit mold growth. I have had good success with this as well. I also have accpected that I have to periodically pull back curtains and window treatments to wipe away moisture in cold moths. I have also bought True Hepa machines for my home, and this has been wonderful for me and my husband's allergies which plague him from the beginning of spring to the beginning of winter.

• brookedion
    8 years ago

Thanks harlowolivia for your post. I have had a similar experience to you and also understand the steriods! How are you doing since the HEPA machines? What model amd brand did you get please?

• Harlow
    8 years ago

The True Hepa air filters have been wonderful for me. It keeps inflammation down, and that's a big deal for me. Any exposure to mold or heavy pollution of any kind inflames my lungs, and my lungs fills with fluid. That means another high dose course of steroids and sometimes oxygen therapy. I have 3 large Austin Air filters in my home. Their is 1 upstairs in the formal living/ dining area, and 2 in the huge family room in the lower level. They have to have a new filter every 5 years. The only things I don't like is their is no senor to let you know the filter is full. Otherwise awesome machines. In all the bedrooms I have the honeywell allergen remover true Hepa ( it has to be true Hepas) in the largest size. The Honeywell filters get changed more often then the Austins, and they are much easier to change as well. I also have my mattress and pillows encased in dust mite and waterproof protection. No carpets, I ripped them all out. Only hard wood, which is much more hygenic than carpeting. I stay on top of the furnace filter, and keep the house very clean. I have to even be careful about the indoor plants becoming a hazard for me. The machines are expensive, especially of you need multiple, but they have honestly been a life saver for me. A course of steroids for me is 4 months. And I am having to do it less often, and my oxygen levels are out of the 70's and into the mid 80's. It has been an investment, but it was worth it. My family's allergies are much better as well. I recommend really reading about any machines you are looking at. Look for a true Hepa ( and no Hepa filter is permanent), look at the filters, how much they cost and how often to replace. And look at the CADR- clean air delivery rate. As with any investment, read up as much as you can.

HTH,

And good luck, and very sorry you have to deal with mold sensitivity / steroids (yuk!!)

Harlow