Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold in window sill???

Posted by woco (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 5, 07 at 15:45

How do you kill mold in your window sills? I come home from work and blow my nose all night long. I think that it is because we have some mold from the moisture on our windows. I sealed the windows about 4 years ago but it did not stop the mold. This is also a manufactured home.

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold in window sill???

We've had terrible mold problems in all the old houses I've lived in (I live in the damp Pacific Northwest), and what works absolutely wonders for us is Tilex Mildew Remover. You can find it at any well-stocked grocery store in the cleaning aisle. It's a bleach-based product, which you just spray on the mold and let sit (we do 10-15 minutes, but the bottle calls for 5 minutes per application). Then wipe off. That's it! The mold is miraculously gone, and doesn't come back for quite a while. I HIGHLY recommend this product.

Of course, it does stink and does bleach, so be careful using it.

Good luck!

o

I've always used bleach for getting rid of mold so xantippe is sure to be right.
oakleif

o

Maybe a dehumidifier. 60% humidity and below mold isn't supposed to flourish.

Maybe a HEPA air filter. Filters the mold/pollen/dust out of the air, but doesnt stop it from growing.

o

The reason you have mold is because you sealed the windows...un seal them, open them up and let the dry Utah air dry them out....use bleach to get rid of the mold, paint ( unless your windows are metal) and close again. Open them periodically to allow them to dry.
Mold grows where it's damp...your windows obviously have some condensation causing them to be damp.
Linda C

o

A home remedy for mold/mildew:

2 c. chlorine bleach
6 c. water

Wash surface and rinse.

o

Are these treatments ok on woodwork?? I have mold on all my window sills from condensation on the windows.
Thanks!

o

Bleach is the only thing that kills mold, period.

o

You might want to get a barometer for the house and check the humidity content. High humidity might be coming from another source.

o

bleach does not kill mold.
You need to use Boric Acid mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide. Do a google search and read about it. Bleach will whiten the mold so you cannot see it, it does not kill the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here