Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jemartian

Glass Top Stove

jemartian
9 years ago

Hi! I just bought a home that has a glass top stove that the previous owners did not take care of... at all. I am trying to get it cleaned, but I am not having much luck. This is what the thing looks like.

What I need is a way to get the white stuff off the stove and a really good de-greaser for under the knobs and for the downdraft. I'm not sure either have been cleaned in the 10 yrs this stove has been used.

Also, on a side note, while taking the knobs off the on light has come on very faintly and the top left burner is listed at being hot, but also isn't fully lite up.

Comments (14)

• emma
    9 years ago

I would buy a new one, that's awful.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I use the Weiman products on mine, about 6 yrs old when we bought the house two years ago. I haven't found anything the products won't take off, but if your surface has been scratched or etched by someone careless you may not be able to get it back to a restored look. It's really better to keep them up, than go back and try to clean after someone has continued to cook over spills or stains. I also realized quickly that the outside of my pans must be as clean as the insides, no slight film of cooking oils or grease left on the exterior ever.

What brand is yours, can you go to the manufacturer's website, look for specific suggestions or email them.

My downdraft looks like yours, my stove top is Jenn-air. I run the cover and inner filter through the dishwasher per the stoves owners manual (happily left here for me in a drawer along with the other appliance books). It comes out like new, but again, it's more preventative and I didn't have a neglected stove to deal with, try to restore.

• jemartian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a ge profile. I wish they would have left the books for everything! I will try the stuff you recommended.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

There are a few tips here for the GE Profile -

Also, If you type in your stove type and model number (google or other search engine), you should be able to find a printable or readable owners manual for your specific stove too. Same with your other appliances....

Good luck with your stove, hope it cleans up for you if all is working well otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Profile cleaning suggestions from GE

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

You are likely going to need a bit more in the way of heavy duty applications to get that surface back to normal.
    First try a thin coat of rubbed in polishing compound along with a razor scraper and a pack of blades to see if you can make any headway.
    If that doesn't work, the link is pretty much your final option.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube is your friend

• daylily1234
    9 years ago

I tried to restore a similar looking glass cooktop in my son's apartment. As some of the posters mentioned, to tackle the elements that are dirty and white, you need to buy one of the razor scrapers from the hardware store that is meant for glass cooktops. You also need to buy a bottle of the cleaners that are meant for glass cooktops (available at hardware stores and grocery stores).

Then you need to start working at it. Use the scraper a bit, then the cleaner to get some of the white stuff and the grease off. Then go back and use the scraper a bit, then the cleaner. And so on. Be prepared to spend an hour or so working at it.

Like one of the previous posters stated, if after cleaning the whole thing, you realize that the elements are etched (ie: it feels like the glass has been corroded), then you won't be able to restore that part of the glass. Some spills, especially if they contain sugar, will etch/corrode the element part of the cooktop.

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

Pour white vinegar on it and use a paint scraper(the type that use razor blades), you will have to do this several times to get most of it up. Then use baking soda and water to form a paste, use a damp green scouring sponge and scrub away.

If the glass has been etched then there's nothing you can do but buy a new stove top.

This post was edited by moviegeek on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 13:42

• hoovergal
    9 years ago

Bar Keeper's Friend.

• jak1
    9 years ago

Go to a fireplace store and buy the cleaner recommended for glass fireplace doors. Works wonders.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

Whenever I have cooked on residue I wet a paper towel and lay that over the area for an hour or two to soften things up. Then I use the standard grocery store cleaner for glass stove tops.

You could even soak the paper towel in vinegar or any other substance and let it soak- it really does help.

• charleney
    9 years ago

I use easy off oven cleaner. I put paper towels around the counter to mask off the granite. Mine sure doesn't get as bad as that..Leave it on stovetop for about 1/2 an hr. or so, and wipe it off. mine is fantastically clean, and it really does not take much work. Yeah the fumes stink, but I go in another room when it is working. WORKS EVERY TIME!

• emma
    9 years ago

The key to keeping the tops looking good is to clean them after every use.

I don't think I would have one if I cooked for a family. All I do is cook breakfast once or twice a week, it's easy to keep clean.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 20:54

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

"The key to keeping the tops looking good is to clean them after every use."

Obviously the previous owners didn't do that. : )

• emma
    9 years ago

Obviously..........When we bought our first house, we were short money and needed fridge and a stove. I figured we could buy one new appliance. I opted for a stove which was cheaper and the used stoves I found were filthy. Refrigerators are much easier to clean.