Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smelly Rubber Mat

Posted by rivkadr (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 15:17

We have an exercise room that also does double duty as a guest room on the rare occasions when people visit us. The exercise bike and other equipment get carted out and stored in the garage on those occasions, but the very heavy weight machine has to stay in the room. It's just too heavy to move. It happens to sit on a rubber mat, that quite frankly smells very strongly of rubber. It has to stay there -- it's protecting the wood floor underneath.

Can anyone think of anything that I can clean it with to make it not smell so strongly? Or something I can put in the room to mask the smell somewhat?

Makes me feel bad for the people that stay in there. Once you're in the room for a minute or two, you no longer notice it, but when you first walk in, it's quite noticeable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smelly Rubber Mat

I had a step stool with a rubber tread that smelled like rubber for many months. I tried many things to get rid of the smell. The one solution that worked for me was to put the step stool inside of a garbage bag full of kitty litter. After two weeks of being inside the bag the smell was completely gone. Also the smell never came back. Maybe you could spread some kitty litter on the mat and put plastic on top of the kitty litter. Just a thought!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here