Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arizonarose_gw

Sheet problem

arizonarose
16 years ago

I purchaced some really nice 600 TC wamsuta sheets not long ago. They were quite expensive...around $300.00 but I got them on sale. Problem is the bottom sheet on my DH's side is pilling pretty badly. I'm very careful to wash them in warm...not hot water on gentle, and I don't over dry them. I can't figure out why they are doing this. When you run your hand over the sheet it feels like sand on them, but it's pilling.Anyone know what causes this? They are pima cotton, I thought they'd stay nice for quite awhile...they've only been laundered about 4-5 times (once a week) I can't return them as I bought them in a different state and don't have a BB&B here.

Comments (54)

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just wanted to let those who replied to my post know....I contacted wamsutta and received a reply. They are turning the matter over to their Quality control dept. and I should hear back in a few days. I hope they give me a new fitted sheet if they still have this taupe color.The top sheet & pillow cases are fine. I'll let you know...

• mary_228
    16 years ago

I think I may have the answer. Does your husband have very rough heels? I actually wore a hole in my side of the fitted sheet with my rough heels. It didn't take long to figure this out since my husband's side was perfectly fine and he has baby soft feet.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I heard back from Wamsutta and they are going to replace the entire set!! NOw I will have spare pillow cases...yippee!!

Mary, I had to chuckle @ your post. Yes...my husband has snaggy feet! But, I'm not sure that is what caused it as the pilling is more in the center of the sheet.

Anyway, I'm glad I posted here, and got such good advice from everyone...now I get new sheets!!

Thanks again..

az

• bspofford
    16 years ago

AAAGH!! This is one of my nightmares, to have to sleep on a pilled sheet!LOL

I have pilled sheets at thread counts from 250 to 1000! If I keep my legs shaved like every day (now that's a chore I love doing, NOT) most sheets won't pill. And since the pilling is in my leg area, I can tell it's from that.

There are some brands that I can count on to not pill. Charisma by Fieldcrest is one, but has been discontinued, but shows up on e-bay. Thread count (TC) of 310 does not pill and is very soft and satiny.

LL Bean sells a 340 TC sheet that doesn't pill. Cuddledown sells various higher TC sheets that usually do not pill. Royal Sateen also doesn't pill. Ralph Lauren, damask weaves pill, most 400 tc or higher don't.

I've often thought I should be hired by linen manufacturers to test their sheets for pilling.

And flannel, we don't even want to go there.........

Wamsutta, I can pill it in 3 days! Same for Springmaid, Martex, and most others.

Barbara

• sewhappy_2007
    16 years ago

Am I the only one who wishes the old cotton-poly blends were easier to find? I have bought several sets of the high-thread-count Pima and Egyptian cotton sheets - they are beautiful brand new, but wrinkle up so badly when washed that the only way I'll put them on the bed is to iron them - who needs THAT???? I haven't had to iron sheets and pillowcases since I was a kid.

• lindac
    16 years ago

High quality, poly cotton is wonderful!! I have a set of almost worn out, sheets by laura Ashley...that pillow ticking stripe with the ruffled edge that are so smooth they are like silk even though they are about 20 years old.
    And I actually took one set of 300+ thread count sheets back because they were so stiff and scratchy I couldn't sleep on them.
    I hate pilled or rough sheets!...but don't mind the wrinkles at all, I sleep with my eyes closed...but I can feel pills even with my eyes closed!
    Linda C

• gpfrmsc
    16 years ago

Wow, I finally found this page. I swear it was easier on Google. In the last 2 years I purchased numerous sheet sets and almost all of them have developed really bad pills (like sleeping on sand). My 20 years old sheets never did this. Buyer beware, I think its because sheets are no longer made here in the US. Just try to find some of these the manufactures; HA it isn't on the packaging or the label (especially if you buy them at a discount store). Italian sheets (List $150) pilled. Sheets made in India, forget it, these pilled really bad. My three sets of Croscill sheets (bought at TJ Max) all pilled. At first I blamed my poor husband and his rough heels but his 8 year old Ralph Lauren sheets never pilled. What is going on?

• cearab
    16 years ago

I switched over to cotton sheets about 7 years ago, and have never had a problem with pilling. I have 3 sets that I rotate on my bed, and all have been washed many times without any problems. They do wrinkle more, but the trick is to get them out of the dryer immediately so they don't wrinkle terribly. And, I always use fabric softener (liquid). I have rough heels, and haven't had any problems where they caused pilling. Maybe I am just lucky.
    All three sets I have are from different manufacturers, but one is particularly soft and wonderful to the touch. I saw those same sheets in the Bloomingdales catalog for almost $600 for a queen set. Think I paid around $100-120 at Tuesday Morning for them.
    Surely there is a site that rates sheets for pilling. I know I would hate to pay $100 or more for a set of sheets to have them roughen up. Does Consumers rate sheets?

• mdoats
    16 years ago

There was a class action lawsuit filed against Bed Bath and Beyond recently. They were marketing and pricing sheets as 800 thread count that were actually only half that. There's a LONG list of products that they marketed and sold as higher thread count than they actually are. If your sheets are pilling, it may be because the product you got isn't what you thought you were paying for.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mdoats, I didn't hear about that lawsuit, but I'm inclined to think that may be the problem. I have a set of Wamsutta that are 350 TC and they are fine, but the 600 TC are not. I bought both sets @ BB&B.

I received an email last week saying they were shipping my replacement sheets from the warehouse and I should have them in about 3 wks. I'll see if there is any difference between them and the faulty ones.

• neesie
    15 years ago

Interesting thread. I will be buying all new sheets soon since I am changing mattress size (new bed!) Can I admit that I have used flannel exclusively in the past decade? At this time I can't find the solid pastels that I love so thought I'd just get either the Egyptian Cotton or Pima in a high thread count. So I was surprised to see this thread.

Do you really think that crusty heels are the cause of all this pilling? If so, why don't you take care of it at that level? Go to the nail care section at your local drugstore and get a file made especially for heels. I love keeping mine baby soft. Just a word of caution,it is alarming the amount of dead skin you will slough off. I do mine outside in the summer or sitting on the edge of my tub in colder seasons. Follow up with some good cream and a pair of anklets or booties. Do several times a week and don't foget to hit the ankle bone also!

Now...if it's a matter of poor quality and outsourcing I guess were all stuck! I'd be interested to see more people weigh in on this subject!

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let you know I received my replacement sheets and they are much nicer than the ones I purchaced at BB&B. The tag says they are 100% pima cotton made in the USA, with fabric from china. That's kind of weird to me, with all the cotton we have in the US. Anyway, they are sure nice. They even have lace on the top sheet and cases. Much more expensive than my others. I'm pleased with Wamsutta and will buy their sheets again.

• jannie
    15 years ago

Very interesting thread. I bought a set of flannel sheets from LLBean. Within a year, they were pilling badly. LLBean issued me a full refund. They are truly a great company, take it from me. This is not spam, just my experience with a good company.

• annova914
    15 years ago

I'm so glad I found this thread as I haven't been able to find those wonderful soft sheets we used to be able to buy at dept stores back in the 80's (I still have a few Springmaid sets that are ancient & ready to be tossed but they feel so smooth and silky). I've bought and returned too many sheet sets these past few years. And the pillow cases are on an angle so it's impossible to iron them properly (and they need to be ironed even right out of the dryer...those were returned!). Thanks for all the tips on sheets. I'm inspired to start searching again :) Maybe there's a Wamsutta outlet in northern Virginia???

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

Neesie, I'm with you. I had to laugh at your post. I also have a "heel file" that I use every day in the shower - actually, my husband calls it the "cheese grater" because it looks like a smaller version of a cheese grater just shaped differently - it sloughs off all dead skin cells and my feet are baby smooth. I used it on my hubby too since he's got really rough feet - but I also use Kerasol cream on his feet to help exfoliate. His feet are MUCH better! But sleeping with cotton socks also helps to keep your feet softer too.

If you really want to get the dead skin off your feet fast - and this is no joke - sit on the edge of your bathtub and smooth a generous portion of miracle whip - yes, miracle whip on your feet and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. After that, start wiping it off your feet - your dead skin cells will slough off - NO JOKE! I found this in Mary Ellen's Book of Helpful Hints, and it really works. You can do this on your face too for a nice exfoliation - if you can get past the fact that you are walking around with miracle whip on your face. Don't laugh - it's not a joke.

Anyway, getting back to sheets, I wash and dry all my sheets on the gentle cycle after learning the hard way, but it's good to hear about the good vs. no so good brands here. I have a set that started pilling, and they weren't cheap, but I'll have to see if it's on my hubby's side of the bed only. :)

• inside_out
    15 years ago

kimcoco, olive oil will do the same thing!

It is the best thing to use on cuticles, too.

Dot

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

About the dry heel problem.....I've found that the worst thing for my heels is going bare foot on the tile floors. It just seems to draw any moisture right out of my feet. I've found wearing flip flops or slippers in the house and putting lotion on daily has helped my feet . DH walks around barefooted all the time, and he has the snaggy heels!
    I wonder if this post should be in the beauty forums...lol!

BTW...I'm still loving my new sheets!

• melindy
    15 years ago

It's interesting that we've become so aware of thread count and expensive linens, and yet I don't think the quality is anything close to what my mother bought when I was a kid. I still have a set of sheets from her house that fits a double bed. They are 100% cotton, not pilled after 50+ years, of a good weight and they still have a crisp softness to them. What I'd give for a set of these to fit my king!

• sharon_va
    15 years ago

The Nautica set that I bought for my sons bed were horribly pilled in no time, especially the pillowcase! And as for creasing, I've never seen anything like it! I am too embarrased to let company sleep on them. Give me the older sheets anyday too.

• maimie
    15 years ago

I am a sheet snob & freely admit it. However, I buy my 600tc+ from overstock.com & have never had a problem. I have never paid more than $69.99 for up to 1000tc sheets. The prices for sheets these days are outrageous but overstock always offers me a good deal & shipping is only $2.95!!! Plus you can return if not happy!

• melindy
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried bamboo sheets? Just bought some pillow cases today at Tuesday Morning. Kinda spendy ($34 for king) but maybe they will be the ticket!

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I love flannel in winter but the sheets I bought from Costco last fall have pilled horribly.

Their cotton sheets are really soft and silky but they wrinkle horribly and are much bigger sized than the package says.

For me, $50-$60 is a lot of money to have to spend on sheets. I'd sure like to find some good ones that last. The ones my mother bought for our childhood twin beds were still in great shape thirty years later.

I had to toss some purchased recently on clearance at BB & B. they were utter carp, no pilling but they stretched all out of shape in a couple washings.

• organic_nm
    15 years ago

Ok, if your sheets are double ply or quad ply (no matter the thread count) you are probably going to deal with pilling!

I am learning a lot lately on sheets and your best bet is to spend good money on great sheets that are made ONLY with single ply, long staple yarns! I believe that is the key.

We HAVE to go through the web to buy our sheets - (split size super deep pocket sheets). We cannot get them locally. And I am glad we were forced to search online because we came across the best sheets ever!

Steer clear from discount stores that carry seconds and such. And the department stores? Well, they can be over priced for sure.

So in short, look for single ply - long staple sheets, spend good money for them and it sounds like you are washing them correctly so that is good.

When we initially purchased our hard to find size sheets, they were more wrinkled than we wanted BUT than we actually read the care instructions - duh! Was washing them in hot water and drying the heck out of them in high heat. (it is sanitary thing I have).

Anyway, I use only the non-perfume non-dye soap and never any dryer sheets with fragrance, they just cause havoc with my allergies. And once I washed the sheets in a warm water, gentle wash, gentle dry, low heat setting - our wrinkles were cut down by like 50%!!

Ok too much coffee, there is a link I posted that might be helpful. (where we get all of our sheets)

Here is a link that might be useful: Luxury Bed Sheet Website

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

I bought Egyptian 400 combed cotton sheets (Royal Sateen)at Costco a couple of years ago and they have not pilled. They are still satiny and silky smooth. They do wrinkle terribly and I refuse to iron them. Like someone said above, my eyes are closed so don't notice. LOL
    Clare

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm also learning alot about sheets since I posted this. I'm wondering how you determine if a sheet is double ply or quad ply. I've never noticed that info...only the TC. Sort fiber and long fiber is all confusing to me but I have learned that you can buy expensive brand name sheets and have them be crappy.

organic, I like the website you linked! I'm pretty well set right now with 3 sets of nice sheets . Hopefully they will last us a long time.

Like some who posted I dread buying sheets cause you just don't get what you pay for. Afer this ordeal with wamsutta I've decided when I do get crappy sheets I'm going to complain and get it rectified.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Arizonarose, Pima cotton is grown only here in the Phoenix area, I used to work for the Salt River-Pima tribe! Pima is one of my choices for sheets, but I LOVE the beech sateen sheets from BB&B. Their beech jersey sheets are awesome too, both can be found cheap on eBay too.

The beech sheets are the softest, silkiest I have ever found, and the thread count is only 250. I agree with most of the posters: even 1000 thread count doesn't mean softness, it is the quality of the material.

• elbits
    15 years ago

I bought some Egyptian cotton sheets from BB&B once and returned them. They were garbage.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

michelle, that's interesting. My sheets say they are pima cotton....made in the USA...from fabric made in china. We must export the cotton to china then import the fabric. Kinda confusing??? Anyway, they are really nice sheets.

Thanks for the info on the beech sheets. I've never heard of them. Now I'm curious. Next time I need sheets I'll check into them.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

The cotton was grown in the USA, but the purchasers can ship the cotton anywhere to be made into anything. Yup, we export a lot of stuff to China to be manufactured, cheap labor.

Look for the sheets on eBay. You can get them cheaper, but at least get a set of pillowcases from BB&B. You won't be sorry! They do wrinkle quickly, so either put them back on the bed straight out of the dryer or don't worry about it, a made bed flattens them out.

Uh-oh, I just looked them up on the website, it looks like they are discontinuing some of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beech sheets

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Ahh, they were just discontinuing some of the colors. They have a new batch of colors, here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: BB&B beech sheets

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I checked them out, and they sound wonderful! The price is good too. Now I wish I needed sheets!

Thanks for the link!

• taragirl
    15 years ago

Two quick comments:
    To those of you who rub your sheets bare with your "snaggy" heels or unshaven legs, maybe you should make sure you don't have "restless legs syndrome." My husband has it, and his little leggies kick every 15-30 seconds while he sleeps! That will wear and tear any sheets!
    Also, my experience with flannel sheets was disappointing. In my warm, snuggly winter pajamas, I couldn't roll over in bed -- too much friction between the snuggly PJ's and the snuggly flannel sheets. I'd just get stuck after a while, wrapped in a flannel cocoon.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

My Dh's heels are so rough they'd pill burlap sheets. The fact it occurs only on one side of the bed should clue you in to the fact it is his feet that are the problem. No sheet stands up to rough feet and nails for long. Tell him to wear socks to bed!

As for flannel, I have Lands End Portuguese flannel sheets for several years now and they never pilled.

• msjeannie51
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. Cotton sheets are complicated. Don't buy "grand patrician" 500tc egyptian cotton. They are SO wrinkled even ironing is useless. I hope Tuesday Morning will somehow compensate me.
    Regarding single ply - I did get pillow cases with that description and they iron tolerably well, definitely better outcome than the others. Good luck!!

• Jeannie Cochell
    15 years ago

Wow, I've wasted so much money on crappy sheets. Have always like Wamsutta, though, and if I find a set I like, I buy two.

I bought beech sheets several years ago when BB&B was discontinuing the color line. They felt like silk for years then started pilling. I noticed they've now got little tiny holes in them, too, so guess they'll be retired soon. My FL washer will make sure of it.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

I noticed that the primary set of beech sheets we use is threadbare by my husband's feet (I always put the sheets on with the tag at the corner by his feet) so they are not terribly strong, they have lasted only a year or so, but they are so soft and comfy that I have bought several sets on sale or on eBay and have them stored in the packages up in the linen closet.

I will make him wear socks to bed from now on!

• msjeannie51
    15 years ago

Tuesday Morning cheerfully refunded me for the sheets I bought there and returned to the store after laundering them. I'm still on a quest for favorite cotton sheets. So far I like the Emilie Laura Ashley ones, but they do wrinkle, at least they are ironable if desired.

• snowflakelover
    15 years ago

wow, for my wedding my husband and I received 550 thread count sheets. We have slept on them for over a year and two months and wash them twice a week and they don't pill. Maybe they were on sale for a reason...Call and try to take them back!

• cocontom
    15 years ago

If you see "dual ply" or "quad ply" and "double twisted yarn" listed in the description of the sheets, you can pretty much divide the thread count by that number.

We have a set of the all-bamboo sheets from either BB&B or Linens N Things- they're very soft, but they make the all cotton sheets look wrinkle-free.

We also have two sets of Guy LaRoche sheets from Tuesday Morning. I can't remember how much they were, but they're by far our favorites, and I have a collection of good sheets.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

If you're going to spend a lot of money on sheets, you need to invest in sheets made in Italy. They are dye and pesticide free and they will never pill. Sferra is a very good brand. Very pricey unless you can get them on sale. They are 100% cotton and do wrinkle however.

• brick760
    15 years ago

Hi ladies...finally a thread I can relate to. I'm a guy with minor restless leg syndrome, and rough heels. Well, my wife finally got me a cheese grader so they are much better now. On top of everything else, I have super sensative skin and need something that will not only pill, but also be extremely soft. And yes, I still have a couple of flat sheets from Charisma by Fieldcrest, and believe me, there was never anything better or even close. What I would do to get my hands on a couple of fitted sheets. Maybe I should donate one of my kidneys.

Now I spend every 2 or 3 years back at BBB trying to find a replacement. It usually takes me about 3 or 4 different sets before I find something that will work. Every set I have ever purchased (even up to 1000 tc) have either pilled, or have been way to rough. All of the sheets that have worked for me in the past have been in the 300 range. They get so soft, but unfortunately, do not last that long.

The last set that worked were by Divatex, made in India, but the morons didn't put anything on their tags other than Divatex, and an RN number. Unfortunately, that RN doesn't tell BBB anything. What a joke. Everytime I find a set that works, I usually go back and buy 2 more sets for the next time. Well here I am again, looking for new ones and I bought my second pair from BBB today and they are terrible. WTH?

Ladies, can you help me? I need something silky smooth that won't pill. Money is no object, I just want a good night's sleep. Oh and I have tried the jersey sheets. The first night I slept on them were awesome. Unfortunately, they pilled within days. Dangit! Many thanks!

• dassykee
    15 years ago

SIGH....Charisma sheets. How I miss you. I have several old sets ...some now mismatched because my husband's rough feet wore holes. Never the first pill. I actually patched them for awhile but eventually the fabric was worn so thin it couldn't hold a stitch.

I have recently bought Peacock Alley and Sferra at Tuesday Morning and so far they are accceptable. But I'd still rather have Charisma. The Company store has 500 ct. supima cotton sheets but I haven't tried them. The 310 was the best...thin (single-ply), long-wearing, crisp, lovely. I'm one who irons and even lightly starches sheets for that cool, smooth crispness I love. Since we usually shower before bed, I don't wash the sheets every week. I have extra pillow cases so I change them weekly.

• groomingal
    15 years ago

brick760- have you tried organic cotton sheets? I purchased some for DD and they were so soft and silky and I went back and purchased a set for me and DH. I love them- they have to be some of the best sheets I have used- they wash great, no pilling, no fading.
    I think when I bought them a twin set was about $60 and I got them on clearance for $10- best $10 I ever spent. I purchased them at either Kohls or Target.

As far as the dry heels- try duct tape, no joke- there was a thread in the beauty forum last summer about it.

• florabelle1
    14 years ago

Thread count is not very important, actually. If you could see & feel sheets made of 100% cotton percale from back in the 1950s & 1960s, where thread count was not a consideration by the consumer, you would find them durable & soft after repeated launderings. I buy these sheet sets, still in their original wrappings, at estate sales. Those sheets are wonderful! The sheets that were considered lesser quality of the same time period were muslin sheets, which ran around 120 TC. Not much, is it? Yet those sheets too are incredibly soft and durable. Both 100% cotton percale & muslin wear like iron. And are now going for a premium on ebay, if you can find any.

Back to your sheets, TC is only important these days if the cotton threads are not threads at all but rather one continuous fiber (thread). A whole bunch of short individual threads can be used (cheap way to produce sheets) and still be 1000 TC. Lots of hype but little value. Pilling should never be present on quality sheets.

• bob343_charter_net
    13 years ago

I have to tell you I will dye and keep the charisma sheets I have gotten in the past, no matter how many others I buy they are NEVER as good, and being the sheet hoe that I am I am not ashamed to say I bought alot when they were selling at the Bon Marche.
    I have finally decided it does not matter if they match anymore,
    also just purchased sheets at HSN 600 tc supima, YUCK! threw away the package so I am stuck with them.

• elf.elf.baby
    12 years ago

We bought two different types of sheets at a Ross Dress For Less (not nationwide) in the fall; before 2 weeks had passed they were pilled. (Two beds).
    One is microfiber, made in China of 55% cotton/45% polyester. Its label says DIVATEX Home Fashions, which didn't someone mention on this thread in a positive way? (I can't look back now, while writing this.) I certainly do not agree with that.

The other is 100% cotton, made in China. It is textured, so to speak, made of little squares, matte and not matte, each a little less than 1/4" square. You can't feel the squares, of course. We had discarded the packaging and with the holidays upon us, we did not return them. We only use the fitted sheet and the pillow cases. They are pilled anywhere any part of the body has touched them.

Ross is next to BB&B at a local shopping center and I spoke to the sheet department manager at BB&B. I told him what had happened. His responses were:
    1. He had never heard of the issue of multiple ply yarns being used to deceive customers as to thread count. He did not 'understand' what I was saying.
    2. He recommended high thread counts, and long-fiber cotton. Not Egyptian cotton, which is short-fiber. Pima or supima were his choices, also their bamboo and another odd material made by the Beech Company.
    3. He would not comment on my mentioning my closet full of perfectly good cotton percale sheets, some decades old, which never pilled or stretched out, but were simply too shallow for our present mattresses.
    Muslin was 180, perhaps? Percale started at around 200? Or was it 120 and 180+. I found muslin itchy, but I find many things itchy other people do not.

I threw away the fitted Ross sheet and am wondering what my chances of success would be marching in there with the remaining sheets and demanding, well, who knows what.

We have had no pilling with two fitted sheets purchased last year, made by Home (and then a square with a circle in it). Also made in China, 100% cotton, RN17730, VN1124037.

I am checking The Company Store, whose service I have always been pleased with. Anyone have any pilling experience with their basic Weekender sheets?

Thank you.

• elf.elf.baby
    12 years ago

We bought two different types of sheets at a Ross Dress For Less (not nationwide) in the fall; before 2 weeks had passed they were pilled. (Two beds).
    One is microfiber, made in China of 55% cotton/45% polyester. Its label says DIVATEX Home Fashions, which didn't someone mention on this thread in a positive way? (I can't look back now, while writing this.) I certainly do not agree with that.

The other is 100% cotton, made in China. It is textured, so to speak, made of little squares, matte and not matte, each a little less than 1/4" square. You can't feel the squares, of course. We had discarded the packaging and with the holidays upon us, we did not return them. We only use the fitted sheet and the pillow cases. They are pilled anywhere any part of the body has touched them.

Ross is next to BB&B at a local shopping center and I spoke to the sheet department manager at BB&B. I told him what had happened. His responses were:
    1. He had never heard of the issue of multiple ply yarns being used to deceive customers as to thread count. He did not 'understand' what I was saying.
    2. He recommended high thread counts, and long-fiber cotton. Not Egyptian cotton, which is short-fiber. Pima or supima were his choices, also their bamboo and another odd material made by the Beech Company.
    3. He would not comment on my mentioning my closet full of perfectly good cotton percale sheets, some decades old, which never pilled or stretched out, but were simply too shallow for our present mattresses.
    Muslin was 180, perhaps? Percale started at around 200? Or was it 120 and 180+. I found muslin itchy, but I find many things itchy other people do not.

I threw away the fitted Ross sheet and am wondering what my chances of success would be marching in there with the remaining sheets and demanding, well, who knows what.

We have had no pilling with two fitted sheets purchased last year, made by Home (and then a square with a circle in it). Also made in China, 100% cotton, RN17730, VN1124037.

I am checking The Company Store, whose service I have always been pleased with. Anyone have any pilling experience with their basic Weekender sheets?

Thank you.

• Anna
    11 years ago

If pilling is a concern, look for 100% combed cotton especially for sateen and percale sheets.

Combed cotton is less likely to pill than regularly processed carded cotton.

During combing, the shorter fibers are removed leaving the longer fibers lying straight in the same direction. Generally, sheets made of combed yarns are stronger, silkier, and smoother. 100% combed cotton is usually reflected on the label.

My percale and sateen sheets of combed cotton--100%--are exceptionally comfortable and smooth with no pilling at all. Wrinkling hasn't been a problem, certainly nothing requiring an iron.

That doesn't mean other types of sheets will pill or disappoint in some way. 100% combed cotton is something to also look for to increase your chances of getting good quality.

• K H
    6 years ago

I have had TWO sets of Costco Charisma sheets fail (bottom sheet shredding in the middle. I have had better luck with lower thread count sheets..I think the TC thing is a scam. I have had both sets for a few years, and brought both sets back for full credt...the beauty of Costco.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz