Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hns_2011

vacuum for family

hns_2011
13 years ago

I have been through at least three vacuums in the last year and I am looking for some advice on what other people are using. I have two dogs and a kid which means that there is tons of things that are left on the floor. I use vacuums at least once a day every day, thus why I need somehthing that is durable and long lasting. I have tried several of the pet vacuums only to have them completely quite on me after a few months of use. Thus, I am hesitant to spends hundreds of dollars on something that is only going to last a few months. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• arizonny
    13 years ago

If you use the "Search" function @ the top of the page, you will find 20 pages of vacuum threads.

Seems to be a very popular topic around here; that and toilet bowls :)

My suggestion? Plain and simple, a Kirby. But, you have plenty of reading to do.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

What kind of flooring do you have? That should drive your decision.

• lucky51
    13 years ago

I've mentioned it before, but for newer posters: When a manufacturer calls a Vacuum a "PET" Vacuum it is basically a marketing gimmick not a special vacuum. They take a regular vacuum and add a Charcoal or odor resistant filter and also add some kind of hand Turbo tool.... then add a fancy paw print label and catchy name, that's it.

My first suggestion for those with long pet hair (even people with long hair) is to find a roller that has a wave pattern where the "V" shape is in the center. These tend to bring the hair to the center of the machine rather than to the sides where the bearings are or toward the belt cover. You may have to remove the hair by hand from the roller more often but in the long run it will protect the machine. Also Natural bristles seem to be better for hair ( I don't know the reason, anyone?)

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

I purchased Bissell PROlite Multi-Cyclonic Upright Vacuum, Bagless, 17G5 - in spring 2010. I still like it. You can get it for under $150. Filters are easy to clean. Has one filter that is washable - just run it under warm water and let dry.

This was my review posted on Amazon:
    "came quickly, time to take out of the box and set up - 5 minutes with one screw driver. Suction is amazing, I can't believe how much dirt and dust it got in first 10 seconds. Yes it pulls on your carpet especially when you are working at the edges. It is a bit heavy and takes a bit of effort for me to move it around, so that is the heaviest I will ever buy. I have hardwood floor and carpet in bedroom, and I followed with dust whiper on hardwood floor -- almost no dust to speak off. I will not get under your couch without attachments - too thick front body. Still, I like it for the price and quick clean up.
    Have not tried the attachments yet. "

• theboneskes
    13 years ago

we have this Bissell:

http://www.bissell.com/PowerClean-Multi-Cyclonic-Bagless-Vacuum/

We love it! Have had it for about 2 years, works as good as the day we bought it! A friend has the Dyson, and said ours works better!

• SharonaZamboni
    13 years ago

I have had problems with many vacuums, but my current machine is a Kenmore canister that is 6-7 years old. Great suction, power beater, long cord.
    The best part about this vacuum is how easy it is to change attachments.
    I have used this with my three kids, a couple of dogs, and a cat. Lots of heavy use, and no problems at all!
    The dustbag gets full in a couple of weeks, but I found an internet site where I can get them very cheap. I prefer bags, since I hate emptying the bins with the bagless vacs.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

It's pretty hard to recommend one without knowing what type of flooring you have.

I own a Miele S7 Swing which I just love. Although I don't have any pets, I have two young kids. Consumer Reports ranked it as excellent for pet hair. I use mine on my upstairs floor which has broadloom. I don't love it for my main/basement levels which are mostly hard surfaces (tile, hardwood, laminate) and area rugs.

It swivels so beautifully and cares for the broadloom much better than my central does. It is also convenient to whip out of the closet for a quick vacuum (unlike the 35' central vac hose). Plus the attachments are right on board for easy access.

I also own a Beam central vac which gets used for the main and lower levels. I'm not a fan of lugging a 35' house out so I may also purchase a canister for those levels.

What type of flooring do you have and what style vacuum are you wanting (canister or upright)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele S7

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I should have mentioned when I bought my S7 it came with a free 10 year (bumper to bumper) extended warranty. 10 years guaranteed performance - can't beat that.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Avoid these brands - they "suck" at vacuuming suction: Hoover Windtunnel, Bissell, Eureka. I can't tell you what to buy, but I've owned all three and hated them. i live in a multi family home, have long hair myself, we track in mud, leaves, roadsalt. haven't found a decent vacuum. I had an Electrolux canister many years ago,which worked fine, but I'm not sure they are still good quality. I believe the new brand name is Aerus.

• msi9670
    13 years ago

Wouldnt use anything than one of the original electrolux's that go by the name aerus lux ,now..They are the electroluxs your grandmother and mother had..They will last forever, great filtration, great attachment tools and still made in the USA