Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get olive oil off upholstery?

Posted by prairiemoon2 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 14:33

Dinner was spilt on an upholstered chair on Friday night. It had a slipcover on it and I put that through the wash and it came out fine. BUT...the oil that was in the dish went through to the upholstery underneath it. I used plain cold water and rubbed it with that and blotted it dry but it dried and I can still see some of the stain that I believe is olive oil, because the dish was pasta tossed with olive oil and vegetables with a little tomato sauce.

So now the fabric is dry and I want to try again to get the remainder of the stain off, but I don't want to use something toxic, like a commercial upholstery cleaner. I was glad to see this forum and I hope someone here will have some experience with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get olive oil off upholstery?

Cornstarch is what I used to use with greasy spots on furniture and wallpaper. It absorbs the grease, let it set for over night then vacuum or brush it off. Do it again if necessary.

o

Emma, thank you! I am wondering though, since the fabric is dry, should I moisten it again before applying the cornstarch? How would you hold cornstarch on wallpaper over night?

o

No don't do that.

o

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks :-)

o

Enough CS stays on the wall to work. I had to do it several times on some spots. If you get it wet then apply the CS it will make a mess.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 19:43

o

Emma, I am impressed! That corn starch treatment really worked. Thankfully the stain was on the seat of the chair so it was easy enough to apply the cornstarch and keep it in place long enough for it to do the job. I put a lot on and covered it with a paper towel and then a bath towel over that and we used the chair that way for two days. Then I took a wisk broom and brushed all the cornstarch off, which actually took a bit of effort to get it all off and it still had an outline of some of the stain in white cornstarch. But after another couple of days of just having the bath towel over it, I just checked it this morning and I can't see any stain or cornstarch residue. Excellent tip, Thanks so much! :-)

o

Glad it worked for you. You could vacuum it now, that might help. I had a new home, 6 months later we had to go to California for my husbands company and rented the house out. There were a lot of spots on the wallpaper when we returned and CS took care of it.

Wanted to add it works on clothes, anything with grease or oil in it. I haven't used it much since the kiddies grew up. LOL

This post was edited by EmmaR on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 9:38

o

Great tip that I will pass along to my daughter. I love this one, because it was so easy and successful the first try. And I rarely use my cornstarch so I was glad to find another use for it. [g]

Thanks again…!

o

That's the only reason I have it around. I am retired from being a cook as much as a woman can be. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here