Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gordon9961

Potatoes vs. dishwasher detergent

gordon9961
17 years ago

I have a 3 year-old Frigidaire dishwasher that does an excellent job UNLESS there is even the slightest bit of potato left on a dish, fork, spoon, etc. Then it deposits a fine, gritty residue on everything in the dishwasher. Does anyone know of a dishwasher detergent that can fix this problem?

Comments (10)

• pkguy
    17 years ago

You should probably be using a dw detergent that contains enzymes which dissolves food waste. Electrasol tabs and possibly the Cascade gel tabs do. I don't think all the powdered or liquid detergents contain enzymes nor do the bargain basement cheap brands. Also be sure you have the rinse aid dispenser working and the water is hot enough

• parrot_phan
    17 years ago

I second pkguy.

1. Hot water -- be sure to run the tap at the sink and get hot water flowing before turning DW on.

2. Regular Cascade powder is the highest-rated detergent by Consumers Union. It is chock full of enzymes. Buy it on sale. Use up any cheap detergent in the prewash compartment.

Electrosol (all types) and Cascade gels and tabs aren't too bad either.

3. YES, rinse aid makes a big difference.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Believe it or not Aldi's brand powder (Reeva?)is about the best I've ever used. It contains enzymes. And I also run hot tap water before starting DW. Sandy

• elsie80
    17 years ago

I've stopped using the rinse aid stuff, even though instructions for my Bosch dishwasher says it is a must. It was leaving a blue white residue on everything, no matter what setting I used in the dispenser. We have hard water with TONS of calcium in it; that may be having an effect. With the Wal-Mart detergent, which was highly rated by Consumers Reports, dishes are great.

Elsie

• mark40511_windstream_net
    15 years ago

Sorry to revamp this post. I googled this problem and it brought me to this post. My DW does an EXCELLENT job as well unless I have dried mashed potatoes on a dish and it leaves a grit on some of the glasses on the top rack. I use cascade powder, but it's institutional cascade powder?? Roommate said that is all they had at Kroger as far as Cascade powder went...I suspect it doesn't have enzymes because it smells like chlorine when dishes are washing. I wanted Cascade complete powder. I can't wait to get this used up so I know NEVER to buy it again. I'm also going to try adding some citric acid

• jannie
    15 years ago

I use Cascade Complete (either powder or liquid) and a rinse aid. No problem with potato residue. Good luck.

• krissie55
    15 years ago

For what it is worth, I checked the Kirkland dishwasher detergent at Costco and it has enzymes. I have been using it for several years and it works great.

• mark40511
    15 years ago

I just got some cascade complete powder. Like I said above, I put Cascade complete on this list and this is what my roommate came back with and said that's all they had (see link below) Not sure why my local Kroger was selling that type of cascade, on the box it says institutional use and I notice it has a bleach smell when washing so I'm sure it doesn't have enzymes....IT worked pretty good unless I had potatoes on a dish or in a pot or pan and there would be small particles deposited in the glasses on the top rack. I also have the electrosol powerball tabs and get slightly less potato residue on the glasses in the top but still some. I will try the cascade complete tonight and see what it does with the potato dishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: cascade institutional powder

• gypsysue
    15 years ago

I use Cascade liquid and don't have a problem, however, I do rinse dishes that have either potato residue or egg on them before placing in dishwasher.
    Also, just an FYI, I was told by my plumber that only liquid dishwasher detergents should be used if you have a septic system; same thing applies to laundry detergent. I believe the powders cause a hard residue on the walls of the septic tank which can cause problems with the flow into the septic field.

• turkeytrott
    14 years ago

For cloudy dishes put about 1/2 cup vinegar in your dishwasher when it starts, glasses come out so nice. We have hard water and this works great and I find the electrasol tablets work best but I break them in 1/2 and put 1/2 in the prewash and the other 1/2 in the regular soap dispenser. I clean houses and have told lots of people this and they are all happy with it.