Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Washing openwork lace curtains

I have some lace curtain panels I sewed about 20 years ago. They are a machine made lace that looks like bobbin lace. They are not your usual store bought lace curtains, the fabric was rather expensive from a high-end fabric / upholstery shop. If you didnÂt know better you would honestly think they were crocheted. When I saw the fabric I just had to have it. ItÂs still the most money IÂve ever paid per yard. They go perfectly with my grandmotherÂs crocheted tablecloth. I donÂt remember if I pre-washed them before sewing. I donÂt think so. All I did was to hem the sides and sew on a solid rod-pocket and bottom hem facing of sheer polyester.

The bottom half has become yellowed, I think from condensation from being close to the window. The original color was ecru, not white. I donÂt remember the material but it feels like cotton. The fabric is a bit stiff, like it has sizing in it.

How would you recommend I wash these to get the color back? I thought of soaking in Biz (enzyme) or all fabric bleach, then washing and hanging to dry. My concerns are that the yellowing might have weakened the fabric, and that they might shrink and/or the weave of the lace might become distorted.

Thanks!

Comments (2)