Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning and protecting carpet on stairs...

Posted by syman (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 13:03

I have a heavy-traffic stairs that has end to end carpeting that gets dirty often and weekly cleaning just doesnt cut it. I would like to find some good solutions to clean and protect the carpet since I paid a decent price to have it installed...Is there any perferred cleaners(RugDoctor?) for carpets such as these...Can I install something(plastic runner?) on top of this? Or is there any kind of treads that goes on top and sticks on the existing carpet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair Carpeting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning and protecting carpet on stairs...

Wear only socks in the house and there will be less dirt on the stairs. Some people do this but I need to wear supporting shoes.

Anything you put on top of the carpet will take away from the beauty you spent hard money to buy.

o

I agree with not covering the carpet (which will also likely decrease traction).

Keep a pair of slippers or sneakers (I usually wear Crocs) near your primary entry door and switch to them when you enter the house. Dirt stays in the mudroom where it's easily corralled.

o

very pretty carpet! I agree, no shoes for one..and do not use the rug doctor..that type of cleaning makes carpets too wet..I use Chem -Dry and I am very happy with them.. here is a link , hope this helped a little :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chem Dry

o

2 of my adult sons moved into a townhome together, and the carpet on their stairs was off-white. I knew that was trouble, so I ordered a runner from the Improvements catalog which was very near the color of the carpet. It was kind of a chamois like fabric, so it stayed in place, but was easy enough to remove if they were having company (although, being males, they didn't really care!). When they moved out, the carpet was perfectly clean. It wasn't slippery like plastic, either.

o

Would Runner on top of the carpet stay in place? I have a 3 year old that walks up and down, so I am not sure how much it will stay in place :) and the risk of falling may be too high I think...We do follow the socks-rule , but we have hardwood throut and the dust on the flooring gets easily on the socks and very easily onto the carpet...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here