Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old dishwasher - help needed

Posted by lasia221 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 12:57

We're renting an old house and are limited on many things. We do have city water, I am not sure if we have "hard water" (how do you know?) or if there's a water softener installed. The dishwasher is older; it gets things clean but will leave spots behind. I don't know if it they are hard water spots or something different. It's very noticeable when I put nonstick pots & pans in there, they require a wipe down with a sponge afterwards. Glasses are noticeable sometimes. Plastic things are also very noticeable.

I've tried two different dishwasher detergents. Cascade all in 1 complete, which is a packet of powder + a liquid; we've also used the Finish brand "powerball" tablets. Neither one is any better.

What is being left behind....detergent? Water stains?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old dishwasher - help needed

Sounds like hard water deposits. Fill the rinse dispenser with white vinegar, this will probably correct the problem.

Vinegar works better than Jet Dry and is less expensive too.

o

Dump a couple of cups of white vinegar into the empty dishwasher and run the shortest cycle. That cleans out any mineral buildup. Then, when you do dishes, dump a cup of white vinegar in the bottom of the washer every couple of days.

Our water softener broke, and this is keeping my dishes free of that cloudy calcium deposits.

o

And don't wash non-stick pots and pans in the dishwasher - it will degrade the coating over time.

o

Like Mary said, don't wash non-stick pots in DW. I ruined 2 expensive ($125 each) skillets by not hand-washing, as instructed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here