Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to vacuum and dust dark colored stairs?

Recent dust threads have me wondering.

We removed the light colored wall to wall carpeting from our stairs that are in our formal foyer, painted them a dark burgundy color (the wood underneath was not good enough to varnish), then installed a runner in a persian carpet style down the center (Is it called a runner when it is on the stairs?). This thing is a dust magnet. Not only the dark short napped carpet, which has navy blue as the background color, but the burgundy painted steps. Thank heavens there are some little white designs in the pattern, LOL.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Now I need one thing for the bare parts and another for the carpeted part. Also since itÂs dust, not larger pieces of dirt, the vacuum does not want to seem to pick it up. You have to use the attachments to do the stairs and then thereÂs no beater bar.

I canÂt drag the big heavy Kirby vacuum to do these. It canÂt get into the groove where the carpet tucks into the next step anyway, which the attachments donÂt do effectively either. I have carpal tunnel and have to ask DH to vacuum, and he doesnÂt have the patience to do the stairs. On the bare parts I have been using a dust wand that has some kind of soft fibers on it, but it seems to just fluff the dust up onto the carpet.

I really should do these almost every day, or almost. What is better for more frequent use? For both hand duster and a small vacuum. If I had one that was not so heavy I could do it myself. What small vacuum is best for dust?

Comment (1)