Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansmom_gw

cleaning throw rugs

dansmom
13 years ago

Hello. I recently hired a cleaning person and she seems to do things a bit differently than I do. I've noticed her picking up throw rugs and shaking them out onto the floor (and anwhere else the dirt might float). I've always taken my small rugs out to the back deck to shake them out. I cringe when I see her shaking out rugs inside the house, but I haven't said anything yet. Is this a common practice? Am I being too fussy?

Comments (12)

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

Why would anybody shake them out in the house!? hahaha I definitely would have said something!

• jannie
    13 years ago

Definitely tell her to shake them outside. That is gross! Who wants to breath in all that dust?

• saferproducts
    13 years ago

I kind of still am giggling about the fact of shaking them out inside the house. That just makes absolutely no sense to me. I even hold my breath when shaking them outside the house because I do not want to breathe in the dust!

• dansmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

She doesn't actually do a full shake out in the house, she just picks them up and gives them a shake letting the loose dirt fall onto the floor. She also brushes the dust on ceiling fans onto the floor. She's a bit on the surly side and I'm a mouse, but I guess I'll have to woman-up and say something. I guess I really seem foolish. Thanks for the replies.

• jannie
    13 years ago

And that's the exact reason I won't hire anyone to clean house for me. I'm a mouse. But I'm also stubborn and want everything done my way.

• Charlee_MO
    13 years ago

My cleaning gal did the same thing.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

At least she is moving the area rugs to clean under them. A lot of cleaning people wouldn't even bother to do that. If someone in your house has allergies or difficulty breathing, then speak up. Otherwise, if the result is a clean house, I would be inclined to let her do it her way.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

She doesn't actually do a full shake out in the house, she just picks them up and gives them a shake letting the loose dirt fall onto the floor.
    She is also shaking dust into the air. I'm afraid I couldn't tolerate someone who cleaned (???) like that...the same goes for dusting the fan blades.

• westvillager
    13 years ago

Oh dear. Did you inspect the surfaces between the fan and the floor? Cleaning from top to bottom is a typical approach. If she dusts the surfaces, then vacuums the floor, it could be fine.

The rug thing is weird b/c dirt's going to hide in places she likely won't go to clean. It's rather easy to step outside if she can pick them up completely as mentioned.

You're the boss. Just b/c she's in your home doesn't mean she's not an employee. Unless she's working for free, of course! I know nothing about cars, so I put faith in my dealership/mechanic, but I have a point of view about my home, so I've never felt uncomfortable chattin with with household staff.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

Well, I have done with bathroom rugs that can't be vacuumed (because the vac would suck them up!). Your cleaning person is not going to run down a flight of stairs and out the front door in the middle of winter to shake out every bathroom rug for example.

I'd shake it out, toss it in the other room than sweep the whole bathroom. In the end it all gets clean.

• korbat8
    9 years ago

No your not being fussy. It's just common hygiene (not rocket science!).

When the sun is shining in your room thats when you really see all the dust - particals going into the air and landing who knows where?.

I would ask her nicely to take the rugs outside and shake on the path or thereabouts, perhaps if possible use the vacuum that's the best!...inside.

Good houskeeping.