Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somepeabody1

How do I remove laundry detergent smell from sheets?

peabody1
11 years ago

I currently use a laundry detergent that has no perfumes in it. I have asthma. I was going through my linen closet and found some pillow cases that I had used and washed prior to having asthma. I had used a regular laundry detergent with a strong smell. I would like to remove the smell from these pillow cases so I can use them. So far I have tried soaking in vinegar and washing, soaking in a product that is supposed to eliminate smells in the air and if your dog has an accident, etc.. I've also had them hanging in the garage to air for about 2 weeks. They still smell as strong as before. Suggestions?

Comments (6)

• emma
    11 years ago

Try hanging them outside for a couple of days.

• peabody1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Emma R,

Unfortunately where we live we can not hang things outside. I did place on a drying rack in my garage near the garage door in the sun. Also, on the screened-in front porch in the sun and fresh air. Did not work.

• HU-538185105
    3 years ago

Most smells in clothing come from oils and wax. The smell in detergents is made up of wax. The smell from the body is made up of oils. In our lab we found that citric acid breaks down wax and oil in clothing. Your cheapest and best source of citric acid is cool aid clear. It must be clear or it will stain. Mix one pack of cool aid with one capful of your favorite unsented detergent in warm water. Cool aid smell will diminish

• jrstanton
    3 years ago

After a number of failed attempts at removing the obnoxious detergent smell from clothes I came across your discussion board post that said that in the lab they found that the detergent contained wax and oil. Your post suggests using kool aid clear as a cheep source of citric acid that should work to remove the smell, leaving the smell of kool aid that would supposedly fade over time. Hmmm dubious solution to trade one scent for another. (perhaps this poster works as a promoter for kool aid). However, this got my brain ticking and I thought well, if there is oil perhaps dishwashing detergent would remove it. I washed the clothes by hand (obviously adding dishwashing detergent to a washing machine would be a terrible idea) in water as hot as I thought would be okay for the fabric and used a generous dose of dish soap. It worked! Smell is basically gone. Before I couldn't be in the same room as the clothes (even after trying baking soda, vinegar, multiple washings, hanging in the sun and leaving in the basement for a year). I also found out that we have container of food-grade citric acid on hand. I'm sure that using some of that would produce even better results. Citric acid is available inexpensively on Amazon.

Happy descenting!

• jrstanton
    3 years ago

After a number of failed attempts at removing the obnoxious detergent smell from clothes I came across your discussion board post that said that in the lab they found that the detergent contained wax and oil. The post suggested using kool aid clear as a cheep source of citric acid that should work to remove the smell, leaving the smell of kool aid that would supposedly fade over time. Hmmm dubious solution to trade one scent for another. (perhaps this poser works as a promoter for kool aid). However, this got my brain ticking and I thought well, if there is oil perhaps dishwashing detergent would remove it. I washed the clothes by hand (obviously adding dishwashing detergent to a washing machine would be a terrible idea) in water as hot as I thought would be okay for the fabric and used a generous dose of dish soap. It worked! Smell is basically gone. Before I couldn't be in the same room as the clothes (even after multiple washings, hanging in the sun and leaving in the basement for a year). I also found out that we have container of food-grade citric acid on hand. I'm sure that using some of that would produce even better results. Citric acid is available inexpensively on Amazon.

Happy descenting!