Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean marble in bathroom?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 9:19

My son just bought a condo. It has white and grey marble in the master bath: on the floor, countertops, and bath/shower walls. I have never had to clean much marble so I promised to find out what was safe to use on it. I use Method all purpose spray cleaner on my granite, but I don't know if that is safe for marble, which is much softer.

I am especially concerned about the shower walls. It looks like, though it was obviously cleaned as well as possible before being put on the market, the marble is not shiny anymore. Same for one area of the countertop. The condo is about 6 years old. (Also, he is a young bachelor, a medical resident, and works non-stop. I know he will not be vigilant about keeping anything very clean. So stuff will build up, then taking a big effort to clean before guests come.)

Can you recommend what is safe to clean it with?

Would sealing it help?

Is an automatic shower cleaner like scrubbing bubbles recommended? I use that, but I only have ceramic tile.

I have heard that changing from bar soap to a body wash is good too. Is that true?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean marble in bathroom?

I have a similar problem, stone floor in my shower and I'm not sure if it's marble. I've found this on line, but haven't used it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marblelife

o

I have tumbled marble in my bathroom and tried a tile spray to remove the soap buildup as well as Quick n brite. These two did not work for me, though.

After browsing a tile forum I came up with using an ammonia based product. I ended up using pine-sol diluted in my bathtub and a non-scratching scrubby.

Not only did this work, but when I drained my tub the little grip circles on the bottom of my tub were back to white...something that even a soaking with bleach couldn't seem to fix for me.

o

Since marble develop stain easily, so clean the marble and shower surrounds when leaving wet glasses or shampoo bottles sitting too long. Do wash the tiles once a week using a neutral pH cleaner as they are really effective in cleaning process. However, if your marble tile is extensively stained or etched, you may have to call in a company that specializes in marble restoration.

o

The best way to clean marble is to wipe it with a damp cloth using a mild detergent and then wipe it dry. Also for tough stains, try a Salt and a lemon half. The salt will act as an abrassive and the slight acidity from the lemon will bring deposites out from the marble.

o

Is this "real marble" or "cultured marble".

Will make a difference in how you clean it.

o

Cleaning of marble requires extra potential and maintenance, care. You can use most effective, cheap and simple DIY solutions to clean all types of marble, you can use cleaning agent, soft cloth, hot water and specially formulated stone cleaner to clean the marble. You have to sweep and vacuum the marble regularly to let it clean and remove dirt or small rocks.

o

I use a steamer on my basket weave marble. I bought a canister type so I get a significant amount of steam lasting up to 30 minutes,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here