Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet37

Fondued - house stinks - help!

violet37
18 years ago

Okay, had a lovely fondue party last night. Within 15 minutes of starting to heat the oil, my clothes stank. By the time we had cooked for a few hours, the entire 4 stories of my house stinks from top to bottom, every article of clothing in every drawer, everywhere. I have been running my kitchen exhaust fan (junky under micro version) and my air conditioner's recirculator (I plastered a paper towel wet with vinegar in front of it) but this is pretty makeshift... What on earth is going to fix this? Carpeting, furniture, clothing, walls..... Keeping in mind that it is a little chilly here in NY....

Now I know why no one does fondue anymore! OMG..... Also, I have a parrot in the house, whose door was thankfully shut so his room is somewhat protected. Appreciate any help quickly, and Happy New Year to all!

Amy

Comments (7)

• lizql
    18 years ago

Chilly or not I think I would crack a few windows. I have read about putting vinegar in cups and setting it in rooms. The smell may dissapate on it's own. It's possible that you smelled so much of it that the smell is in your nose and not truly all over your clothes.

• violet37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lizql, I did put some vinegar in a cup in the kitchen, and soaked some paper towels in it and draped them over them air intakes, and sprayed Febreze over every soft surface downstairs, and cracked a couple of windows.... and went out for several hours and came back and pew! I know it will dissipate eventually.... say a couple weeks... but this is really a turnoff to doing it again. Thanks anyway....

Amy

• ritaotay
    18 years ago

I personally don't care for the smell of Fabreeze/Febreze or however it's spelled... And it makes me sneeze... LOL

In the winter, with two heavy smokers, the house gets pretty rank at times... That's when I head down to the laundry room, grab the box of Borax and start sprinkling it all over every rug in the house... ( I don't have pets or kids ) I use a broom to sorta rub it into the carpet and let it sit over night then vacuum it twice... The whole house smells as clean as a spring day...

Rita

• lizql
    18 years ago

I'd rather smell the smell than Fabreeze. Baking soda can be sprinkled and left set and vacuum later. Ozium works great, if you can find it.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

Open the doors and windows for a few minutes. Turn off the heat. Turn on the furnace fan to force the smelly air outside. Dress warmly. Then close everything up and reheat the house. Fresh air is the only thing to get rid of it. Everything else is a chemical cover up to the smell that is still there. It has been decades since I made fondu, but I never had that problem.

• violet37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone. Did a little of everything. Don't have a furnace fan, just the air conditioner fan. But I did open some windows and doors, washed the exhaust fan filters, set the vinegar around.... Funny, I am generally very sensitive to strong perfumy smells, but find Febreze quite mild and it disappears very quickly once dry. So I did use it on all the upholstery. Then I washed the floors with the Swiffer. It does seem to have gone away...

I killed the oil odor completely tonight by infusing the house with eau de garlic-onion-mint-coriander-cumin-cardamom-saffron. Now that smells so yummy and doesn't last more than a couple of hours, but stinky oil lasted for days... doesn't seem quite fair, does it?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• summiebee
    18 years ago

another idea in the future is to leave the house with the windows cracked for a few hours....then when you come home you can use the scented burning oils from The body Shop almost everyone likes the mandrian peel or sastuma as it is now called mixed with exotic. It will fix any cooking disaster....Don;t ask how I know this ;) Hehe