Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Need advice on cleaning stainless steel sink

jannie
13 years ago

Help! My stainless steel kitchen sink is stained with what look like water marks. I've tried everything, Dawn detergent, scrubbing with baking soda, scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend yet the water "drip" marks remain. Anybody know how to remove them? the sink is rarely used as I have a dishwasher.Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Try using lemon oil furniture polish on it. Or Pledge.

The lemon oil makes metal bathroom fixtures shine. I use it on the metal shower surround. It's inexpensive. I believe I found it in the furniture polish section at WalMart. A bottle of it will last forever. Pour some on a cloth and rub lightly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Oil

• krissie55
    13 years ago

Have you tried W-D 40?

Cleaning sink with alcohol works too.

• jannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I will certainly try them.

• fuzzywuzzer
    13 years ago

Try Brillo pads.

Try filling sink with bleach & water and soaking for a while.

Can't guarantee but worth a try!

FW

• boystown
    13 years ago

I cleaned mine this weekend with a metal polish. I was amazed at the black stuff that came off my sink and I thought I was a faithful SS sink cleaner. It gave my sink a brillant shine.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

If your sink is a 'polished' finish, I'd be careful of what is used as it could scratch the finish.

I have a brushed finish stainless sink and use Brasso multi purpose metal polish to clean and shine it. I too was amazed at the black stuff that came off of it, and how it really shined up like new.

Sometimes for heavier water calcium deposits around the faucets I'll use a little vinegar before using the Brasso.

• jannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am happy to report the Lemon Pledge worked. Also, it makes water droplets bead up and roll down the drain, saving me constantly wiping the sink out with paper towels.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations