Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debpoll9

cleaning a black granite sink

debpoll9
16 years ago

I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling through tips can anyone help me with a constant problem. I have a composit black granite sink and drainer which after only 12 months has a constant white haze on it. It only looks clean when wet and I have tried everything ! It looks dirty with the white film and if only I could get it to look how it does when wet I would be very happy.

Any ideas out there ??????????????

Comments (150)

• neilbrich
    8 years ago

Yesterday I bought a metal rack to use inside the sink. I has plastic on the legs so I'll put pots etc on the rack.

• setzer11
    8 years ago

Great idea!

• Shelby Siska
    8 years ago

It's hard water staining, the white haze? Have the same problem.

• setzer11
    8 years ago

Could be, I have hard water from our well...

• setzer11
    8 years ago

Is the black metal rack mentioned above covered with rubber?

• neilbrich
    8 years ago

The legs of the rack are covered with rubber. The rack is actually chrome.

• setzer11
    8 years ago

Will the chrome scratch the sink? I am asking because I keep my drainer in the smaller of the double sinks.

• neilbrich
    8 years ago

Good ?. I may have to rethink because the rack fits o exact that it will probably rub against the sides of the sink. The contractor is actually coming today. (he was suppose to come since early last week). I'll probably have to look for a complete rubber rack.

• setzer11
    8 years ago

I have a black rack, all covered in plastic/rubber. It is Rubbermaid.

• neilbrich
    8 years ago

My blk granite sink is installed, looking beautiful.

• jenistheboss
    8 years ago

I love my black granite sink!!!

• setzer11
    8 years ago

Try spraying with reg PAM, then wipe it down. You will like the look!

• rita_alford
    8 years ago

I use lemon oil

• setzer11
    8 years ago

That sounds good!

• beencrowned
    8 years ago

I made a HUGE mistake and my husband is going to freak out! I accidently put paint in our black granite sink and I was told to use paint thinner to fix. The paint thinner I used said it was okay for granite, metal, ect. but now there is a white, chalky look all over it!!! How do I fix this? It looks like some of the granite sparkle vanished.

• Carolyn Faye Blizzard Lanier
    8 years ago

I have had my sink for about 2 years and it has white marks, I called the company (Franke) and all they tell you to do is to put oil on it, I like the sink but hate the white spots, I doubt that I ever buy another sink that was made by them, takes up to much time to clean and polish and besides I don't like all that oil going down my drain.

• lindaslange
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am new to this forum also. We remodeled our kitchen about six months ago and put in a brown granite composite sink. When I first bought it I cleaned it with granite cleaner. After that I rubbed olive oil into it. It worked great. Somewhere along the line I must have reversed the process? . I am getting older and keep forgetting things. I am so glad I decided to read this. Maybe now I can get rid of my haze again. Thank you.

• majordane
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Houzz comes up trumps again!!! I was having problems with my new BLACK Franke Fraganite sink so delighted to find the solution here! Thank you guys!!

• Donna Marie
    8 years ago

I use stainless fridge cleaner spray(it is oily) on my brown granite composite sink. I do that once a month and have never had a problem with marks or discolouration and I have hard well water.

• julievelarde
    8 years ago

Is there a brand that's better than others. I have a brown sink and have tried veggie oil, and have tried the dark old engish which I really liked, just didn't last very long. How long does the stainless cleaner last? Thanks for the suggestion.

• Kelda Zabel
    8 years ago

Sales person recommended using LemiShine on it. Takes away hard water stain.

• Holly Mitchum
    8 years ago

I've had my black granite sink for four years now. I've never had a problem with it "marking up". I did have a slight white film once but rubbed it down with olive oil and it worked beautifully. My problem is the drain is clogged, and I mean completely. A friend poured drain cleaner down hers and it splashed, backed up and ruined it . Any ideas?

• tklp
    8 years ago

My black granite sink was beautiful until the guy installing our porcelain tile floor would swing the 5 gallon buckets of water with the grout in it!

He absolutely denies he did it but I SAW him. A worker at Lowe's told me the grout bonds with the finish on the sink, taking the finish with it and the finish is simply gone - looks like that white haze you all talk about.

Olive oil only lasts 5-7 days. I have a magic eraser I'm going to try and then some of the sealers that get nearly 5 stars on Amazon. I will not give up till I succeed!

• neilbrich
    8 years ago

I have my black granite sink 4 to 5 months. From time to time, a slight haze develops and slight cooking oil on a piece of cloth , brings it back to new and it lasts for a while.

• sheila_nichols33
    8 years ago

I just had my black granite sink put on last week and the guy that installed mine said he has one and to use coconut oil on it. I tried it and it's beautiful! Use the thick oil looks like shortening. Put a small amount on a cloth and rub it on!

• chris curtis
    8 years ago

I tried the vinegar, didn't work so well. Will try the magic eraser and orange glo...I enjoy reading all these ideas!

• Joanne Kean
    7 years ago

mr clean magic eraser works great

• maggie200
    7 years ago

Dawn detergent and a wet sponge. No need to scrub. Just hit every area and wash off the soap and dry with a towel. That's it. It is sparkling clean and shines like new after 31 years.

• Margaret Zeglin
    7 years ago

I just used baby oil after reading the comments and it worked wonderful. Thanks for sharing all of your comments.

• jesskem
    6 years ago

I treat my black granite sink with mineral oil from the drugstore ( granite is a mineral ) so it is paired properly . Spread evenly with a soft cloth , I do this before bed so it can absorb over night without any running water on it. Give it another rub with a clean soft cloth the next morning and you are good to go. :)

• Mike Corbett
    6 years ago

I accidentally found a way to restore that new, dark black look to a faded or hazed black granite sink when re-dying some black clothes in it some time ago. Black clothing dye in hot water for a few hours has amazing results that last. It blends in perfectly. It's probably best to clean the sink thoroughly first for maximum absorption of the black clothing dye.

• Kelli Dove
    6 years ago

I use mineral oil, like the kind you can use on wooden cutting boards. I would think the food based oils may go rancid. It is thicker and it works great!

• David Orme
    6 years ago

i have a charcoal bianca granalite sink that started to look awful with white stains after trying normal cleaning which looked ok when wet but not when dried i mixed up a bowl of baking powder white vinegar and about 2 inch of toothpaste and rubbed this on sink with a little water washed off with hot water now back as new hope this helps as before looked awful aganst my galaxy granite worktops which look lovely together

• majordane
    6 years ago

Brilliant thanks David, I realise I should have followed manufacturer's advice re using Jif/Cif too on the sink and wiping it dry every time I used it !!! I do find a spray with the Avon body oil works a treat to spruce it up too. I am hoping your 'potion' will help clean off the limescale!

• neilbrich
    6 years ago
    Good morning. I bought a black granite sink in 2015 and was a bit concerned after hearing about issues other people had. My sink looks great,especially after using a little cooking oil on it. I will buy one again if needed.
  • David Orme
    6 years ago

margordane further to your reply my potion should have read baking soda NOT powder just to save any confusion the same baking soda /viinegar mix WITHOUT the toothpaste i use on my chrome haffele taps /extracter fan & induction hob also glass shower screen cleans these lovely after rinsing with hot after and drying with microfibre cloth i could never understand why people call stainless steel sinks stainless ?as far from it and a nightmare to keep clean never mind all the scratches they look like a train wreck in only a month or two give me granalite sinks any day they are great !! putting oil on dos not sound a good idea to me as fat ect will stick to this ?! mabee lemon juice will also be useful to clean must try sometime ? my sink is 2 years old and looks same as new !

regads david

• 4suzanne
    6 years ago

Just coming across this thread looking for solutions in getting my siligranite sink back to where it was. I have a brown sink and it definitely has that white hazy look to it. I took the Magic Eraser to it last night to clean it and the eraser has left white spots all over the sink! I keep wiping it off and it continues to come back! Help! Suggestions on how to get rid of the residue from the magic eraser as well as getting it back to its original colour would be appreciated.

• David Orme
    6 years ago

I find that the haze is caused by fatty deposits through washing up in lukewarm water or cold water as my Thai wife dos I have already put a suggestion on the forum using a mixture of white vinegar and some baking soda with a little bit of toothpaste mixed in this worked for me on a charcoal coloured sink I also now and again use washing powder which gets it back to that matt finish like when new with HOT WATER hope this helps you this works for me for you ? I think another reason for this white haze may be washing up liquid which may have salt in it just a theory i have ?

• zoebk
    6 years ago

I'm about to purchase a black Kraus granite sink. These post are interesting and helpful. Question, are you able to clean the sink with cleaners with bleach in them? Or does that destroy or damage the surface? I like to use these after working with meat or chicken in the sink. Thank you.

• bensiglinda
    5 years ago

I have the same problem and that is why I was reading the other responses. I did not have any baby oil but what I did have was coconut oil so I tried that. It worked, my sink is looking great and I do not have to worry about any residue since coconut oil is not harmful.

• suseyb
    5 years ago

I use coconut oil as well.

• Terri Burton
    5 years ago

loved the look of the sink for a week, then the white haze, the dullness looks terrible. i have done the oils and they last for a day. this sink is SO MUCH WORK. i have tried polishes, marine wax, polishing compound, other waxes, oils, CLR etc., ......i have also tried all of the blanco cleaners which don't work. i think the solution is change the sink......sadly... all i want is a shiny sink

• David Orme
    5 years ago

hi Terri i use baking soda on a damp sink if bad leave overnight before rinsing or about 1 hr if not too bad i have been renovating my bathroom and cleaned old tile adhesive in my sink left a grey stain i could not remove by normal cleaning & thought was permanent on advice from someone on this forum sprinkled baking soda on my damp sink overnight on rinsing with hot water following morning to my relief stain all has gone and like new again give it a try? i do not like idea of oils as i think attracts more grease and dirt and do not like my sink to look shiny as it was not when new and looks far better in a matt finish

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    5 years ago

I scrubbed my black sink with Dawn squirted onto a kitchen "scrubby" and it came right off.

• turquoise arrow old gringo
    5 years ago

Mr clean magic eraser worked miracle on my

• HU-21675877
    4 years ago

We have very hard water here and to remove the white haze, use any magic eraser and saturate the eraser with CLR brand (a calcium, lime and rust remover). Clean the sink with this and no hard scrubbing is needed. I go over the sink a second time right away. Rinse the sink and let dry. Be sure to use latex, vinyl or nitrile gloves. When the sink is dry it will look like it was when new.

• Carolyn Faye Blizzard Lanier
    4 years ago

My black sink started looking awful right after we put it in and started using it, I started reading articles about the white film on it from water, so I started using mineral oil about once a month and it looks great..

• Jo-Ann Mitchell
    3 years ago

Same as tklp’s message from a few years ago. My dark gray sink was installed yesterday ... today the tiler left his water bucket in the sink to wipe the backsplash and now we have a white ring and splashes. Anyone with any resolution?

• Candie S
    3 years ago

I cleaned my black granite with bar keepers friend and a magic eraser to clean calcium streaks and buildup then once it dried I polished in some castor oil. That's held up and maintained shine the best of anything I'd tried so far..

• HU-300220195
    2 years ago

I put some cooking oil in a container then immerse some kitchen roll in it. Squeeze the residue oil and rub it into the draining board. I tend to spread the roll out covering the board and leave it overnight. Repeat as necessary.