Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sasafrass_gw

How to clean SS interior of M/C oven?

sasafrass
15 years ago

This has to be a common problem to owners of microwave/convection and speed ovens. The interiors are largely stainless steel and when you cook or roast in them the splattering bakes on and becomes a nightmare to clean. Can anyone tell me how to clean this type of oven? Is it ok to use fumeless oven cleaner, and if not, what? Brillo is too harsh, the green scrubbers don't get it done. I'm lost.

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago

Boil a cup of water in the microwave, let it sit and steam for a couple of minutes to soften splatters, then wipe with a damp cloth. Might take a few times, but should work.
    Kathy G in MI

• sasafrass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually I have tried this, but still need to scrub hard to get the ss clean. I usually avoid using this oven for potentially messy cooking which is a shame because it does a great job using alot less energy than the big oven. Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated. If you've used oven cleaner please comment on this.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I would check with the manufacturer before using oven cleaner. My gut feeling is that oven cleaner is too caustic for stainless steel.

• massgirl
    15 years ago

Help, still haven't found a solution yet, thanks for the tip about oven cleaner

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

What about Barkeeper's Friend on a sponge after softening the baked-on stuff again with water/steam?

• sasafrass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes, looks like It's going to be back to the brillo, but even that doesn't get everything off and requires alot of elbow grease. Thanks.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

Magic Eraser after a steam clean as Kathy suggested. Also, Spray 9 works well to cut grease, but it does not have a pleasant odor, so cook something with cinnamon after you use it.
    Also, get a cheapie plastic cover that you can put on top of your food. This will minimize the splattering.

• lindac
    15 years ago

How about some vinegar in that water you boil in the microwave?
    I also wonder about ammonia in the boiling water? No idea if it would damage the surface....but I would rather damage than dirty!
    Linda c

• miscindy
    10 years ago

I have the same interior in my convection/microwave and have been frustrated as well. After reading these posts, I first boiled vinegar/water in the micro, then used Bon Ami on a rag dipped in the boiling vinegar water and to my amazement, it actually came pretty clean for the first time in 3 years!

• grhering
    7 years ago

Rock Oil Grill & BBQ cleaner sold only by Home Depot. I had heard it is a proprietary brand. Found in the cleaning supplies isle.

• cratcliff55
    6 years ago

I have tried non abrasive things for baked on grease. Vinegar, baking soda and the like. Only had success with Brillo pads, rinse water and TONS of elbow grease!

• Luc Doucet
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Oh no ! I just bought the same type of convection/microwave and having the same issue with cleaning ! :(

• je_carstens
    2 years ago

Steel Power from Hillmark is a liquid, heavy duty, non abrasive cleaner. I put some on a non-scrath kitchen spunge and apply a bit of ‘elbow grease’ - it works wonders! It is an Australian product

• Pamela Wessling
    11 months ago

First - prevention- yrs ago in a class (yes they had them in the 80s) on how to use a microwave oven my teacher taught us to cover what you are cooking with a loose sheet of wax paper - this really helps! I understand you can use foil on the convention only setting - but I haven't tried it.

Second - a micro-convection oven is a different animal and Whirlpool instructions are pathetic! The inside is only metal around the fan - the rest is some plastic/synthetic product.

A. Try not to let this project get too far ahead of you - the longer you wait the more the gunk gets baked on and is harder to remove.

B. Take out all the removal parts - turntable, shelves, etc. They can be easily washed in the sink.

C. Put a bowl of water with vinegar or lemon juice in for a couple of minutes to steam the interior. Then while the oven is still warm use a sponge with a scrubby back to wipe down and use some elbow grease on gunk.

D. Burnt on grease around the metal fan - Once I have cleaned as much as possible with dishsoap and scrubby, I use a Magic Eraser - these will get it clean but not like new. Be careful to get the fan openings clear - if magic eraser gets stuck on them - use a clean sponge with water to wipe them.

Please let me know if this helps anyone.

• Paul F.
    11 months ago

You really have to use a cover.

• Vicki Blackmon
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Steel Power from Hillmark is a liquid, heavy duty, non abrasive cleaner, does anyone know where I can purchase this product in the US?