Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arizonarose_gw

laminate flooring

arizonarose
16 years ago

Just curious, how do you clean your laminate floor? I've been using a microfiber mop, and windex. I spritz and mop over it. This is the only way I have found that I can clean it without leaving streaks.

I'd like to hear how others care for theirs...thanks :)

Comments (30)

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I bought a Bissell Flip It. It's a wet/dry cleaning vac with suction on the bottom so it sucks the water back up. It's the only thing I've been able to find that doesn't leave streaks or water spots and I've tried every mop out there. I always ended up drying the floor with towels. Be careful with the windex, it could dull the finish or make it slippery. When we got our floor the instructions said to use just plain water to clean it. I only use natural cleaners so with the Bissell I just put a bit of vinegar in the water tank and it does a great job.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried the OrangeGlo cleaning system? It's made by Bona, the Swedish company. I'm very tempted to buy it.

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

You have to be very careful with what you use on laminate. It gets slippery very easily and you can ruin the finish. Pergo makes a laminate floor cleaner but I didn't care for it.

• groomingal
    16 years ago

Jannie- I used the OrangeGlo on my hardwoods and did not like it. I do like the microfiber "mop" they include with it but that is it. I use the Hoover Floormate- I love it. My old one died and I upgraded to the new wide path model. Definitely worth the money.

• bonelady
    16 years ago

I have used the Orage Glo and the Boona hard surface cleaner and I like them both on my laminate. I love the Orage Glo fluffy pad for sweeping.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not familiar with the Orange Glo product...I'll have to check into that. Actually it's not Windex that I'm using it's *Glass Plus* and it states it doesn't contain any amonia so I don't see how that would dull the finish. I don't notice any dullness since I have been using it. I tried my steammop one time and it was just awful...streaky and I had to towel dry it..yuk. I also like the micro fiber mop-...I got it at walmart, and got some replacement pads for it so I always have a clean one. I love that!

Anyway, thanks for the imput!

• cupajoe
    16 years ago

Use a steamer.It is the best and only streak free method for laminate or high gloss marble.Second method would be a cuban mop(looks like an upside down T with a semi wet towel.)

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Like I said, I tried my steam mop & it didn't work good @ all...it was a streaky mess.

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

Same here with the steam mop. I had to go back over the floor with a towel to keep it from streaking and leaving water marks. As I said before, the Flip It is the only thing that works for me. I think it's because it sucks the water up and doesn't have time to streak.

• texaswoman
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm confused. I was told to never use water to clean my wood laminate floors. I've been using the cleaning solution that is for hardwood and laminate floors but it does streak like crazy and leaves a film on the floor so I'm definitely not happy with it.
    I would love to use something else. I use vinegar and water on my tile floor.
    My laminate is v-grooved so will this make a difference in using water on it?
    I've only had the laminate since December so I'm new to this.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

There is concern about leaving puddles of water on laminate flooring, but damp mopping with a water/vinegar solution is fine.

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

My laminate floor is 10 years old so maybe the manufacturer's suggestions have changed. When we got our floor we were told to vacuum and then damp mop it (not soak the floor) with water only. We weren't supposed to use any cleaners. Then they came out with the laminate floor cleaner but I agree, it streaks and seems to dull the finish. I've been using the vinegar/water on mine for a couple of years now with no problems. I used 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon of hot water when I used a regular mop. Now that I use the Flip It I just put a little bit of vinegar in the clean tank and fill it with water.

• catiecupcake
    16 years ago

I just use water or water/vinegar. I have had no problem with it...

• maydincanada
    16 years ago

I use the vinegar and water mixture as well and it works very well!

• saturnsgirl2003_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

WINDEX. WINDEX. WINDEX. Spray it on the floor and mop with dry microfiber cloth. I have tried it ALL in the past few months and nothing worked, if anything it made it worse! I just finished the entire floor, a tiny section at a time and it looks BRAND NEW. I am beyond excited; this is the best they have looked since we moved in! It even took away the scuff marks! I wanted to post this asap because I know how hard I have struggled with trying to clean my laminate floors and I finally found a solution!!!

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's what I mean....only I'm using Glass Plus ( it doesn't contain the amonia. I'm using the O cedar mop w/micro fiber pads. My neighbor used pledge wax on hers and it is a smudgey mess!!

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

arizonarose
    you need to use your steam mop a few times to get all the spray cleaners you have been using for a long time off..steam is just a form of water and there is nothing in it to make it 'smeary'. You are activating the Glass Plus and that is what is causing the smeary look. It will take a while to get all the glass plus off. I am only writing this beacause I have been through it.

Long ago, I bought the Oreck Orbiter ..very expensive..(500 bucks) I mainly have hardwood flooring and our kitchen and breakfast room are prefinished I was using the Oreck hardwood floor cleaner to go with the orbiter. I was actually cleaning them all the time because it was a new "toy". One day I took my steam mop out as I havenÂt used it since my new Oreck came, and let me tell you.. my floors were gross!!!!! Smeary was not the word.. never looked like that ever, I had to go over my floors for weeks to get the Oreck cleaner off.. Talk about film.. ! I have never used the orbiter or their cleaner again, and my floors were finally clean again.
    Ree

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi reeree,

My floors aren't smeary...they are new. I use glass plus and they look nice. I was just curious how others cleaned theirs. I tried the steamer on them and it was bad...streaky. I was talking about my neighbor who put the pledge wax on her floor and that made a mess.

Just wanted to clarify.....

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi arizonarose
    I was referring to you saying your steam mop made a streaky mess I really wonder why it streaks your floors if you didnÂt have a chemical build up.. ?? I am sorry it doesnÂt work well for you! I am going to try something new.. did you read the post about the Lotus system? I looked up the web site and it seems interesting. .thatÂs my next venture .. I like the way the all purpose cleaning system sounds, then maybe I will buy the mop (smile) Maybe this will be a good solution for different types of flooring and cleaning needsÂ?? It will be really great if it does work as they claim..?? Maybe worth a try! If you want to see the mop, go to products, then click on accessories...
    Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotus Sanitizing System

• Donna-37
    16 years ago

reeree, I might note that in order for the Lotus mop to work you have to have the base. You will want it anyways! LOL the mop has a bottle that sits on the base to "charge" then is inserted into the mop. I have a friend that has the system and is waiting on her mop. She is going to notify me when she tries it. I'll keep you posted.
    I did find my system locally. ;0)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

dashmo37
    yes..I did write on your post that I got it down pat now! (smile) At first I didn't 'get' it..but when I went through the entire web site I saw how it worked. Very interesting! I see they sell it in a few local places ..Target, Linen & Things..so I will see if anyone has them in stock... Are you "amazed" how it works? Have you tried it on other things since you cleaned your stove area? I read the blogs and it seems people are having problems with the F1-F4, priming the unit etc..did you experience any of these problems? The company seems helpful enough..so it's worth checking it out.
    I am always willing to try anything natural/organic.. I have to put everything through the "Ree test" lol!
    Thanks for introducing it here..
    Ree

• Donna-37
    16 years ago

Reeree;
    Never had any error problems.
    I am lovin this thing!
    I thought I would throw a hard test at it and all I can say is "Wow"!
    I have one of those shower enclosure things that is next to impossible to clean. You know the kind, texture everywhere, UGH! I have tried everything on the market to clean it. Mr Bubbles, magic erasers, vinegar, orange cleaners and the list goes on and on. Nothing cleans it to my satisfaction. I made a fresh bottle of this super charged water and went for it.
    Sprayed it all over the place. Shower head, sides and bottom. I guess I could mention that I had some black scuff marks in the bottom from scraping my venation blinds from the night before. [before I bought the system].
    Left it to do it's magic for 15 minutes or so and when I went back I took a fresh bottle of water with me. I used the microfiber cloth and just wiped the tub surround down. No real elbow grease involved. Even on the scuffs. I gotta tell ya, I have been keeping house for 30+ years and never had such a useful "tool". The uses are endless for sure. I am totally sold.
    "wink,wink" I found mine on clearance at Tar*et! No such luck finding the mop there too though. :0(
    I have got to have it too! The more I use it the more I love it. I called customer service to find out if the cartridges were available locally and they were so friendly and helpful. Looks like Linen and things have those so no shipping there! Yea!
    I know I sound like I work for them but I don't. LOL
    I am just so thrilled to find something that does what they say it does. I have a cabinet full of stuff with empty promises.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

dashmo37
    Thanks for the time to write and tell me about it.. your enthusiasm sounds just like me when I love something (smile) I am definitely going to buy the system and give it a try. .it really sparked an interest! (canÂt wait to try it) I have been natural cleaning for years so when something new comes out and sounds promising , I have to try it. Showers are a hard job to keep sparkling, you always have to be on top of them, so it sounds like a winner!
    Thanks so much for sharing..keep me posted on your other cleaning jobs!
    Ree

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi again reeree,

I don't know why the steamer streaks my laminate floors, but it does. I love using it on my tile floors. I looked @ that link about the Lotus system and I'm not sure about that...it looks like something new to spend our $ on...

• Donna-37
    16 years ago

I agree with new and improved stuff. Like I have said before, I have a cabinet full of "empty promises". I was able to buy the system at my local store that has a very good return policy so I thought, why not? So far I am loving it. I also got it for less than online.
    If you can find it at your local store and return it if it is not your cup-of-tea I say "Go for it"! What have you got to loose? I love new "toys" especially when they make my life easier.

• lulundave
    16 years ago

Majority of my house is laminate. I use a vileda mop wrung out well and hot water with 1-2 drops of dish soap. Cleans great, cheap,no streaking. This is the same thing I use on my ceramic tile floor with Mocha grout. (was told that vinegar and water can harm dark colored grout).

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

I tried the commercial cleaner and a steam mop and both left streaks. I now use equal amounts of water, vinegar and rubbing alcohol (with a microfiber cloth, getting the floor fairly wet). The alcohol dries the solution fast - no streaks!! I've been using this solution for about 5 years now and wouldn't use anything else.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lydia, that sounds similar to how I do mine with the Glass plus. I think your solution is probably more economical than mine....think I'll give it a try!

• Honey Richardson
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas! After reading the comments, I mixed 1/3 water; 1/3 vinegar & 1/3 Jet Dry in a spray bottle & used a clean, dry dust mop. My floors are STREAK FREE and that�s a first in 4 years! I think you could substitute rubbing alcohol for the Jet Dry & it would do a good job too. I�m going to get a better microfiber mop head but this is such an improvement! I have tried every laminate floor cleaner on the market & they all streak. Thanks again for the ideas!

• dogfaustus
    12 years ago

I have noticed that many comments reference using water based cleaners, even vaporizers, while others say stay clear of water on laminate. Are some brands of laminate more susceptible to water than others? I have installed Timeless Design and find that misting and using a micro fibre cloth has caused some bubbling at the edge of many of the boards. Also dogs coming in with water on their paws has caused damage. This is a 12mm laminate so I expected better.