Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choose best value detergent - ASTM for the scientist - Hoping

Posted by gardurnit (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 6:17

How to determine cleaning value of detergent? ASTM Method online but not enough information: ASTM = American Society of Testing and Materials (scientists or methods)

I'm degreed in electronics, chemistry and optics. But I've not done any analysis for detergents.

I figure it's simple. Get some grease and find out how much can go into solution , in water, using a fixed
amount of detergent.

But that takes work. and well I suppose I could do it.

I'm just buying a lot, of detergent, because I'm moving into a new home and have the thought if I buy plenty of
detergent using coupons and finding the right product I can avoid buying it again for a few years. It won't
go bad and I have storage space.

My concern is how to ensure I get the best value.

First I need to specify what I need to have.

A. No dyes. No perfume. Clean and clear. Because I use it for everything. It works for my shampoo, my hand washing,
dish washing, clothes washing and degreasing of parts and car parts and anything else that it works for.

I even found , one summer, if I evaporate a pan of it I can get a very nice 'bar' .of detergent. It's a kind of very thick
firm rubbery material which goes slippery when you touch it with wet hands. Nice for some uses.

It's amazing how little one uses for washing hands. One or two drops. I've got dispensers I've made.

Take a plastic lidded container. Put a small hole in the top and using GOOP adhesive glue whatever kind(s)
of scrubbers you like to the lid. Rough it up with the $1.00 foot callous rubber from dollar Tree and it sticks
anything to the lid. I use a variety of roughness products and by keeping it tipped upside down the small hole
only allows a bit of detergent out to the scrubber when you want or need it. If there's a bit extra I pack it up and
wash my hands with the extra.

Anyway I'm pretty committed to it and without the free and clear I'd never use it. But now that I am I'd like to be
sure I'm getting my best value. I realize everyone has a favorite. My favorite is the one with best value.

All Free and Clear has $2 off coupons till 2-7 and my store has 50oz for $4.00 after coupon. Not the best price as
far as I think.

Maybe you can offer some other choices.

Remember many people read these posts not only the forum users but Google users, Yahoo and AoL users and 100's
more from many search engines. Keep the forum well fed and you'll be fed in return with good advice.

Thank you.
Andre.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choose best value detergent - ASTM for the scientist - Hoping

I use detergent for clothes and dishwashing. The criteria is how well it works. As for price I have a couple of favorites and they all go on sale sometimes and that's when I stock up. I use less than their recommended amount, and it works just as well.

I would hate to use detergent to wash my hair or hands. I have enough problems with dry skin. Detergent pollutes our water so I use it as little as possible

o

I buy whatever is on sale at my local grocery,then use HALF the recommended amount. A bottle of Dawn lasts forever, as does a box of Cascade and a bottle of Gain Laundry detergent. I'll hand wash a glass or coffee cup rather than load my dishwasher. This is as "green" as I get.

o

I buy coupons on ebay for laundry detergent, stock up while its on sale with the 20 coupons for a dollar off or whatever. But I have no earthly idea which one you could use to both degrease car parts and wash your hair with, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here