Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you keep black appliances and sink looking good?

Posted by klw123 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 2:13

I just (FINALLY) got my kitchen remodeled. I picked black appliances and a black sink to go with my dark granite. HOW to you keep them looking nice? I am forever washing and rinsing and polishing and drying only to have them look hazy and streaked. What works to make them look nice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you keep black appliances and sink looking good?

oh my, i wish i had asked someone this question BEFORE i went out and purchased an all black stove. i didn't realize how much work it would involve in keeping it all nice and shiny. the man at the appliance store had recommended an orange cleaner to use on the stove, but it does leave streaks. i'm forever waking up in the morning to find little kitty footprints all over my stove. (i guess i know what my cat does while everyone in the house is asleep!) for me, the only way i've found to handle the smudges and smears is to use the orange cleaner to do the actual cleaning, then i use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to polish it up. i wipe it with a paper towel until it's completely dry and shiny, then look at the surface from all angles to make sure i've gotten all the streaks off. of course, after all of this, my cat goes on his nocturnal wanderings, so i still wake up to footprints, but i tell myself they are kind of cute and try to ignore them.

o

Well, except for you jiggreen the silence is deafening! Is everyone settling for streaky spotted appliances and sinks? I was hoping for a solution like waxing them or something. Guess I'll have to resign myself to a lifetime dedicated to polishing my stove sink dishwasher and refrig AGGGHHHHH

o

Hi, we have black GE appliances. To be honest, I haven't noticed any problems with streaking. Perhaps the light just doesn't hit at the right angle to see it. Also we have a glass flat top range and wall ovens rather than a stove, so maybe having less surface area makes streaking less noticeable. The fridge is really low maintenance.

For what it's worth, I used to use Windex w- vinegar. Recently (per tip on this forum) I've started using a combo of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in separate spray bottles. It works great. I used to have trouble with steaking when washing mirrors. I've found a glass cleaner called Hope's Perfect Glass at Home Depot which is wonderful. Maybe give that a try? It actually does result in perfect glass.

o

I read these forums with interest.
I think I will go to Harbor Freight and buy a pressureizeable can or two and fill these with the mixture of hydrogen peroxide (HD ??) and Vinegar (Walmart )...
Many of the heavily advertised home products are too watered down to be effective in use and cost effective..
Nothing like bleach, ammonia, peroxide, kerosene ,and steam for cleaning.
Our water causes water spot city, all surfaces must be wiped every time...

o

You can get hydrogen peroxide from Walmart as well. About .88 for a gallon of it, located next to the rubbing alcohol I believe. Also any grocery store will carry both.

o

klwl,
i came back to this posting in the hopes that someone had a magical solution to the streaking and smudges. i can't believe this black appliance issue isn't a hotter topic! when i was purchasing my stove, i deliberately avoided stainless because my mother kept telling me "oh it will show fingerprints horribly". i thought i was safe going for the black. i've lived and learned that's for sure! next time around i will go for the stainless (the appliance guy did tell me that the new stainless is fingerprint resistant). the other problem i have with my stove is dust, it shows dust horribly (as well as my 42 inch black range hood), so basically even if i wasnt constantly wiping off smudges, i'd still be having to dust those darned appliances!
i'm going to keep checking back on this thread to see if someone has the perfect solution to the smear/smudge problem. i'm thinking some sort of magical armor-all type product that will leave the surface shiny with a single swipe of the cloth!

o

I use soapy water as directed by the booklet that came with my range, then a wet washcloth,then a dry one. then I rub it with a MIRACLE cloth- gorgeous! I bought a bag of 50 white terry rags in the car dept at BJ's and use them like paper towels in the kitchen. You don't always need the soap-only if it's greasy.
You HAVE to get miracle cloths! They are a lifesaver! And don't use fabric softner when you wash them.
Patty

o

Rubbing alcohol may do the job....but next time remember...smooth and shiny shows everything, matte finish and patterened shows nothing.
Linda C

o

I'm having the same problem with my black glass top stove. I had been warned about this before I got it (and my black ceramic sink) but I really wanted black so I ignored it. However, after I used the "Ceram-top(?)" that came with the cooktop the other day (it goes on like silver cleaner - a whitish paste), I used a chamois cloth to polish it and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm still not sorry at all I didn't get stainless (especially since the stainless strip along the front of the cooktop is already scratched) but I will keep looking for that miracle cleaner for the black glass.

o

Microfiber cloths work well on everything including cleaning my eye glasses. I use them for my black and stainless appliances, granite, windows, mirrors etc. No streaking. You can buy them at Costco in the auto dept area or any auto department.

o
How to EFFECTIVELY clean your black stove top

Hi Ladies!

Want to keep your black topped stove looking like new? . . . dont use it, just eat out every night! lol

But seriously, I'm a remodeling contractor in Grand Rapids Michigan. Recently divorced, I bought a condo and remodeled the entire place . . . every square inch including the kitchen. I have a stainless refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher. My stove is black with a black top, black grates and stainless trim here and there. To make matters worse, I love to cook but Im a guy . . . and Im messy (imagine that!). I'm having the same problem as most ALL owners of black stoves have . . . how does one do a GOOD JOB cleaning a black stove top without using ten rolls of paper towel and consuming three hours to clean it?

To properly and effectively clean ANYTHING, you must analyze what it is you are trying to remove. Being a former college instructor in the sciences let me help you understand "dirty messes" and how to effectively attack them . . .

First you must determine if the mess you're trying to remove is an organic or inorganic material. Organic materials in this case would generally be food . . . spaghetti sauce, pancake batter, egg, pasta, fat of any kind, meat, veggies, etc. These are examples of "organic" materials.

Organic materials can ONLY be cleaned (thinned, broken down) with organic solvents. Examples of an organic solvent cleaners would be Simple Green, the "orange" type cleaners," Formula 409, Goof-Off, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc. Obviously, some of these may be harmful to the stove surface itself. Nevertheless, you must use an ORGANIC type cleaner to loosen, thin and remove these organic materials.

Inorganic materials would include table salt (sodium chloride) and lime (calcium carbonate). Both leave a white substance on the burner pan and top. The salt gets there when you miss the pan when salting or from a boilover. Lime is deposited on the stove top because it's in your tap water. In general, inorganic materials are water soluble. Plain tap water is effective in removing these materials, but HOT water WITH SOAP will work faster and help remove both the inorganic and organic materials at the same time. Unfortunately, soap is a VERY WEAK organic cleaner.

The biggest challenge encountered while cleaning the stove top is to remove the organic materials. These materials are "sticky", oily and, when under a hot burner, turn into charcoal and attach themselves to the grates and burner pans.

Now that you have analyzed your "mess", what should be your cleaning strategy?

First, if your grates are removable, take them off the stove. Fill the kitchen sink with HOT water and a little dish soap and soak the grates while youre cleaning the stove. Another strategy is to place the grates in the dishwasher. Use your regular dishwasher soap and the "hot water" cycle. Some dishwashers have a "pots and pans" cycle that is a bit more effective. Be sure to "air dry" the grates, not "power dry" them. In my experience, even the dishwasher wont be able to completely clean the grates. If you "air dry" the grates, theyll be easier to finish cleaning.

Next, wipe off (or vacuum) all the loose debris from the top. I use a little shop-vac I bought at Sears for $29.00 and keep in the kitchen. Great for "Rice Crispy" spills too!

Begin cleaning the remaining "mess" with an organic solvent based cleaner first. Spray or wipe it on the charred debris and let it sit for a few minutes. I use the time to take the little metal disks off the burners and clean them in the sink. I have a very stiff, short bristle, nylon kitchen brush that I keep just for cleaning the stove. After the burner disks have been cleaned, set them aside and use a mildly abrasive wipe (like a dry paper towel) to wipe the loosened "crud" off the stove top and burner pans. You may have to use several paper towels to remove this mess.

Take a critical look at the stove top and burner pans. If theyre clean, go on to the next step. If not, spray the parts of the stove that arent clean with the organic cleaner, wait a few minutes (I use the wait time to mix myself a martini!), then wipe again with dry paper towel.

On really stubborn debris, I find that it's helpful to saturate a cloth towel or paper towel with the organic cleaner, place the towel directly on the "mess" and leave there for 10 minutes or more. That way, the cleaner stays wet, penetrating the mess and loosening it without using "elbow grease". If you want to leave the cleaner on the "mess" for a prolonged time (perhaps a well deserved nap!), cover your paper towel with plastic and put something like a coffee mug on top of the plastic to seal the cloth or paper towel from the air. The purpose of the plastic is to prevent the cleaner solvents from evaporating, rendering the cleaner useless.

Once the organic materials are wiped from the surface, then attack the salt and lime. Use a rag or paper towel with a little dish soap and HOT water. This process will also remove any remaining organic materials along with the inorganic materials. Vinegar (acetic acid) and water does a good job removing lime. Plain hot water removes the salts.

Finally, its time to "buff and polish" everything. Take a clean cotton rag or towel, wet it with hot tap water ONLY, and wipe down the stove top and burner pans. If there is an area with remaining organic debris, you will see definite streaking as your rag picks up some of the debris and smears it downstream. If this happens, spot clean the area with your organic type cleaner.

For many, the final "buff and polish" stage is the most frustrating of all. Why? Its because of the persistent white streaks or "haze" thats left after the wet towel is used. Why does this happen? Where does this "haze" come from?

The cause of this haze is the presence of inorganic compounds in your tap water! The water evaporates, but the lime, iron, calcium, magnesium, etc. and salts stay on the surface. So, how do you prevent the "haze" and white streaks? Is there a solution? Well, of course there is!

The answer is . . . drum roll please . . . USE DISTILLED WATER TO DO THE FINAL WIPE DOWN! Distilled water is just water, good ol' H2O but without the salts and lime. If you've done a good job with the organic and inorganic material removal, you will get a shinny stove top using distilled water on your final wipe down.

When you are finished with the "aquata distilata" (Latin name for distilled water), take a dry paper towel and buff the top until it shines. Place your clean, dry grates back on the stove and you are officially finished. (Note: I take this time to make my second martini as I congratulate myself for the wonderful job done!)

And one last piece of information; Sears, the largest appliance manufacturer in the United States, has two cleaners for stove tops. One is for the grates, the other is for the stove top itself.

The grate cleaner comes in dry granular form. Three tablespoons of granules mixed with two gallons of HOT water is enough to clean 4 stove grates. Order Sears Gas Grate Cleaner, part #22-40080.

The stove top cleaner is a cream that is applied to the top and wiped off. I imagine the cream is composed of a mild abrasive with organic solvents. Order Sears Cooktop Cleaning Cream, part #22-40079. Any Sears appliance department should have a stock of these products. Ask for these items both by name and part number. You may also call Sears Service at 1(800)-366-7278 and ask for these products again by name and part number.

Good luck and as Julia used to say, "Bon appetite"!

Robb Blodgett BS, CR, CGR
Grand Rapids, Michigan
RobbBlodgett@Gmail.com

o

oh my, i think i'm in love........... a man who knows how to clean....i'm swooning here!!!!!!!

o

There's your answer ladies..if you have enough martinis it will look good no matter what you clean it with.LOL

I just wipe mine down with a soapy cloth, rinse, and grab a towel and start drying. Polishing as I dry. I can't do anything about kitty prints that happen at night either.

o

New to this forum--miracle cloths? Are they the things you get for cleaning laptop screens? Do they have nap? Where do you get them? I have a black stove and it always looks smeary and nasty.

o

This is how I clean my shiny black ceramic cooktop.

I get a papertowel damp and apply soft scrub or the other ceramic cleaner (about the size of a quarter) rub it in paying special attention to the spills on the cooktop.

Then I use a miracle cloth and buff it dry.

o

I agree. You definitely need microfiber cloths I clean houses part time so Im always looking for an easier way to clean stuff. I do stainless and black but they do take time.

One thing Ive learned is to dry clean before wet clean. Always dust before you wet anything. Liquid and dirt make mud.

Try easy first. Dont assume you have to drown everything in spray cleaner. The more stuff you put on the surface the more time you have to spend getting it off. The first thing I do is wipe everything down with a dry miracle cloth. If theres not a lot of grease you can use elbow grease to buff the stove shiny. If not step up to a dry rough terry wash cloth and/or a Mr Clean and use the microfiber cloth and elbow grease again. If you still have spots spray some cleaner on a rough terry wash cloth not the stove. Then rub the spot and buff again.

One thing that helps is to not let crud sit on the stove. Warm crud comes off easier than baked on crud. LOL. You dont have to completely clean it. Just wipe up spills immediately with a damp not wet cloth or paper towel.

o

After two years of wrestling this black stove problem, I finally found what works...! I was at the dollar store yesterday and found this new product called "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser." They come in a two-pack. Just wet the little sponge ( i already had a sink with soapy water and Dawn) and start wiping the stove down. Make sure you squeeze almost all of the water out. I used a regular kitchen towel to dry it afterwards...and VOILA! No streaks or residue. There is a GOD!! Good luck!

Wendy

o

You can buy the magic erasers in larger packs (I think 8) at Sam's or Costco. I use Miracle cloths (microfiber, the ones with with a terry-like texture), and my 13-year old black appliances look lke new.

o

I have a black stove with a black microwave over it. They both get really greasy and collet dust.
I have found the easiest way to clean is to use Lysol concentrared lemon scent (contains amonia) FULL strength. I saturate a spounge and wipe on mirocwave first (drips down on stove some), rinse sponge and wash off microwave with soggy spounge full of water, then dry with paper towels. I then do the same on stove top. It shines better than new! People asks if I just got a new stove!
It really cuts the grease with little effort. And No streaks!
Hope this helps!

o

I have a black glass top range, black dishwasher, black over the range microwave, and a black fridge. I just use glass cleaner (Zep foaming is my preference) to clean the front of the range, the microwave, the dishwasher, and the fridge. If there is something gunky on it, I use 409 first, then follow up with the glass cleaner. No streaks.

On the range top I use the Ceramabrite liquid that came with stove. I use it about once every 4-6 weeks. The rest of the time I use 409 to get the major spills up, then follow up with the glass cleaner. I, too, get kitty paw prints (and associated dust and dander) on the stovetop, so I just squirt a little glass cleaner on it every day and wipe off. No streaks. I keep the light on in the range hood all the time, so there is always a glare of some sort to show if I've left something on the stovetop.

I would take the tiny amount of extra work I have to do for my black stovetop over the messy looking stainless steel appliances any day!

o

Easy-off for glass top stoves is a great product. It isn't soapy and doesn't streak, so, you aren't rinsing and rinsing. It does a good job cleaning too.

o

I have to deal with the kitty paw prints too. So I finally went out and purchased SSScat Cat ("air" spray that is motion sensored and battery operated) to keep her off at night!

My stovetop is black, and I use really hot soapy water with a dish sponge. Don't use old icky dish water. I never get streaks. Problem is, I do have to dust it every day because it's black.

o

BLACK appliances! World Market (u can look it up on the web) sells a Stainless Steel Spray......they only have one brand it's in a spray can and it is white and blue. It works on all black appliances......you don't have to buff. Clean first with a sponge.just wipe off all grease and food off of stove....spray the Stainless Steel Spray, wipe. DONE.

o

wow, glad I stumbled on this discussion. We're building a new kitchen and are considering black textured formica counters and thought of black stove and sink (not ceramic--I thnk it looks like a corian type finish on ther sink.) Has anyone had experience with dark (but not shiny)countertops vs lighter ones for ease of cleaning and also any comments on keeping a dark sink clean vs. stainless would be very helpful. Great site!

o

From what I've read on the kitchens forum I gather that the shiny black countertops (polished black granite, for example) do show every smudge and fingerprint, but the matte or honed or textured black finishes are not so bad about that. You might do a search on that forum or post a question if you haven't already.

o

I also have a black glass top stove with a black microwave over it and here is what I do and it works well for me. About once a week I clean my stove top with Weiman Glass Stove Top cleaner. (Any glass cook top cleaner will do.) I just squirt a little on the stove especially on the places where I see evidence of spills, etc. and then I use a damp non-scratch pad to "scrub" it with. Then I rinse it with a wet paper towel and then dry/buff it with a dry paper towel. No streaks!! It takes a few minutes, but these types of cleaners help protect the surface from spills and make cleaning them up much, much easier.

The rest of the time I clean it with pure white vinegar (undiluted). I spray it on and wipe it off with a paper towel. Using commercial cleaners (Windex for sure) will result in a "rainbow effect" or streakiness. I too suffer with the kitty paws that "magically" appear overnight and also my litter box is close enough that the dust carries and easily settles onto the stove, so usually once a day I wipe it with a dry microfiber cloth.

I hope this helps. I can't say enough about pure white vingar and a good papertowel!!!

o

Use microfiber cloths to buff after regular cleaning

o

I have a (matte) black side by side Refrigerator with Ice and Water dispensers in the Freezer Door, All water is filtered by Refrigerator and Freezer filter.

I have white deposits from water and ice dispensers even with the filter in place.

What can I use to remove these white deposits. I have tried Vinegar both heated and unheated. I still cannot remove the white "crust" from dispenser area.

o

The best way to keep a black top range/stove clean is paint it white, LOL.

I used to have a black hotpoint glass top and never had a problem keeping it clean. When I got a gas solid black Whirlpool range, keeping it clean has been a real chore. Whirlpool has its own cleaner that they recommend you use on their appliances (of course Whirlpool will tell you anything like most manufacturers will to get you to think that only their product works) but I find it still leaves streaks and takes a lot of elbow grease to get it clean. I stumbled upon using "409 Glass & Surface Cleaner", and have found it does the best in keeping it streak and film free. Much better than Whirlpools spray. I would highly recommend that anyone who has a black range use this. It cuts the time down, it leaves it looking spanking brand new, and it costs a lot less and it doesn't have to be ordered on line. You can get it at most grocery stores, discount stores and at places like Lowes and Home Depot.

o

Talking from experience, if you are considering black, reconsider. I have had black counters for 15 years and recently got new ones in a light granite blend. What a difference! I could have dusted the black hourly and it still looked horrible. They show every single speck of dust, every smear, etc. Yes, the miracle clothes are wonderful, but until you can figure out a way to never again have dust in the house it is a losing battle. I can't believe the difference with my new ones, although I do wonder how actually clean they are sometimes now that they don't show anything. :) I guarantee if you get black, they will be clean because you will spend your life trying to get them to look decent. Never, ever again.

o

I have found that careing for my black appliances is not unlike careing for my black car. If you keep a good coat of wax on the paint, nothing will stick to it. Not water stains, scuff marks or fingerprints.
I used a high quality carnauba auto wax that is mainly for showing your car indoors, its a soft wax that doesnt last long out in the harsh wet road conditions. It's called P21-S, mainley available only online. It works PERFECT for all my black appliances. They are now very, very shiny and soft to the touch. Not shure yet how often I'll need to repeat the wax job, but what the heck. They are now absolutely gorgeous. One last thing. I wouldnt recommend useing this soft product on your stove top or oven door.

o

After trying every idea including the car wax, I found the answer. MICROFIBER!I now just wash the stove with hot soapy water, rinse with clear water and wipe with a microfiber cloth. It is magic, not a streak.

o

has anyone tried rain-x?

o

I have found a solution that works on my new Frigidaire Black and Stainless free standing kitchen range. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and picked up a pack of Microfiber towels and a bottle of Hope's Perfect Kitchen and it works like a charm.

o

My favorite cleaner is a spray called "Cinch". It comes in a red plastic spray bottle and is made by the same company that makes "Spic and Span". Costs only $2.49. I use it with two-sided miracle cloths, one side for scrubbing, the other side is soft. I clean everything except wood with it. Appliances, windows, counters, even spot-cleaning floors (except wood,haha). Also, if you see a lot of streeaks, your kichen may be TOO sunny. Consider curtains (even sheers) to block some of the sunlight. The streaks are really an optical illusion if you clean frequently. By the way , in my kitchen I have a black stove and range hood fan and almond dishwasher and refrigerator. My countertops are old-fashioned formica and the floor is Marmoleum/linoleu-cork. Talk about a retro combination. Black and almond.

o

If u use a wet micro fiber cloth to wipe down appliance & a dry micro fiber to dry it. Works great for me.

o

I moved into a new home this month. I was excited about having black appliances in the kitchen. Then I experienced the same problem of keeping them clean and dust free. I tried soap and water and rinsing-then drying. Still had streaks. Windex also left streaks. Thought maybe it was because the stove was hot-so the next time, I waited until it cooled down. It still left streaks-tried plain tap water and buffing-nope. Was going to try vinegar, but hadn't gotten around to it-but then I read some posts about vinegar helping-so I took a paper towel and poured some white vinegar directly on it-wiped the stove top and dried it with a clean paper towel. Voila-clean-streakfree stove top. Will find out in the morning how well it keeps the dust off. lol If that works-I am going to buy a spray bottle to put vinegar in. Might try cutting it with some distilled water-just a little at first-and try using a microfiber towel to dry instead of paper towels. I am afraid they will be too abraisive over the long haul. Will try to remember and repost my results-or let you know if I find something else that works better.

o

I acutally came in here looking for a how to for getting stains out of a black acrylic sink (yep, the do stain) sort of a grayish brown.
But I found I could actually help too. For the black stove top (glass and the stove body) The microwave (exterior) I keep a spray bottle of PURE rubbing alchohol right on the counter. This not only works great on the appliances, but on the clear plastic table cover I keep over my "permanently set" table of a lace table cloth and placemats.
I stole the plastic table cover over the mats idea from a student. Until then, I had given up on using mats because they look horrible after one or two uses and sometimes even worse after they have gone thru the wash :/
As far as the rubbing alchohol, I know someone who worked with acrylics and this was the best way to clean them and keep them from getting cloudy.
But, back to my dilema...is there a product to clean acrylic sinks besides the soft scrub line? They do not work on the stains and I would never use an abrassive.

o

I acutally came in here looking for a how to for getting stains out of a black acrylic sink (yep, the do stain) sort of a grayish brown.
But I found I could actually help too. For the black stove top (glass and the stove body) The microwave (exterior) I keep a spray bottle of PURE rubbing alchohol right on the counter. This not only works great on the appliances, but on the clear plastic table cover I keep over my "permanently set" table of a lace table cloth and placemats.
I stole the plastic table cover over the mats idea from a student. Until then, I had given up on using mats because they look horrible after one or two uses and sometimes even worse after they have gone thru the wash :/
As far as the rubbing alchohol, I know someone who worked with acrylics and this was the best way to clean them and keep them from getting cloudy.
But, back to my dilema...is there a product to clean acrylic sinks besides the soft scrub line? They do not work on the stains and I would never use an abrassive.

o

For smudging, you will need to keep microfiber towels on hand. Dry completely with one towel. Then follow up with a 2nd clean and dry microfiber towel to remove all smudges.

o

I wouldn't want to use rubbing alcohol around my gas stove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here