Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klw123_gw

How do you keep black appliances and sink looking good?

KLW123
18 years ago

I just (FINALLY) got my kitchen remodeled. I picked black appliances and a black sink to go with my dark granite. HOW to you keep them looking nice? I am forever washing and rinsing and polishing and drying only to have them look hazy and streaked. What works to make them look nice?

Comments (64)

• shaun
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is how I clean my shiny black ceramic cooktop.

I get a papertowel damp and apply soft scrub or the other ceramic cleaner (about the size of a quarter) rub it in paying special attention to the spills on the cooktop.

Then I use a miracle cloth and buff it dry.

• stanlie_gw
    18 years ago

I agree. You definitely need microfiber cloths I clean houses part time so Im always looking for an easier way to clean stuff. I do stainless and black but they do take time.

One thing Ive learned is to dry clean before wet clean. Always dust before you wet anything. Liquid and dirt make mud.

Try easy first. Dont assume you have to drown everything in spray cleaner. The more stuff you put on the surface the more time you have to spend getting it off. The first thing I do is wipe everything down with a dry miracle cloth. If theres not a lot of grease you can use elbow grease to buff the stove shiny. If not step up to a dry rough terry wash cloth and/or a Mr Clean and use the microfiber cloth and elbow grease again. If you still have spots spray some cleaner on a rough terry wash cloth not the stove. Then rub the spot and buff again.

One thing that helps is to not let crud sit on the stove. Warm crud comes off easier than baked on crud. LOL. You dont have to completely clean it. Just wipe up spills immediately with a damp not wet cloth or paper towel.

• wendyd
    17 years ago

After two years of wrestling this black stove problem, I finally found what works...! I was at the dollar store yesterday and found this new product called "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser." They come in a two-pack. Just wet the little sponge ( i already had a sink with soapy water and Dawn) and start wiping the stove down. Make sure you squeeze almost all of the water out. I used a regular kitchen towel to dry it afterwards...and VOILA! No streaks or residue. There is a GOD!! Good luck!

Wendy

• suse17
    17 years ago

You can buy the magic erasers in larger packs (I think 8) at Sam's or Costco. I use Miracle cloths (microfiber, the ones with with a terry-like texture), and my 13-year old black appliances look lke new.

• dotcom2000
    17 years ago

I have a black stove with a black microwave over it. They both get really greasy and collet dust.
    I have found the easiest way to clean is to use Lysol concentrared lemon scent (contains amonia) FULL strength. I saturate a spounge and wipe on mirocwave first (drips down on stove some), rinse sponge and wash off microwave with soggy spounge full of water, then dry with paper towels. I then do the same on stove top. It shines better than new! People asks if I just got a new stove!
    It really cuts the grease with little effort. And No streaks!
    Hope this helps!

• xine
    17 years ago

I have a black glass top range, black dishwasher, black over the range microwave, and a black fridge. I just use glass cleaner (Zep foaming is my preference) to clean the front of the range, the microwave, the dishwasher, and the fridge. If there is something gunky on it, I use 409 first, then follow up with the glass cleaner. No streaks.

On the range top I use the Ceramabrite liquid that came with stove. I use it about once every 4-6 weeks. The rest of the time I use 409 to get the major spills up, then follow up with the glass cleaner. I, too, get kitty paw prints (and associated dust and dander) on the stovetop, so I just squirt a little glass cleaner on it every day and wipe off. No streaks. I keep the light on in the range hood all the time, so there is always a glare of some sort to show if I've left something on the stovetop.

I would take the tiny amount of extra work I have to do for my black stovetop over the messy looking stainless steel appliances any day!

• sally_rn
    16 years ago

Easy-off for glass top stoves is a great product. It isn't soapy and doesn't streak, so, you aren't rinsing and rinsing. It does a good job cleaning too.

• kimcoco
    16 years ago

I have to deal with the kitty paw prints too. So I finally went out and purchased SSScat Cat ("air" spray that is motion sensored and battery operated) to keep her off at night!

My stovetop is black, and I use really hot soapy water with a dish sponge. Don't use old icky dish water. I never get streaks. Problem is, I do have to dust it every day because it's black.

• roxstar
    16 years ago

BLACK appliances! World Market (u can look it up on the web) sells a Stainless Steel Spray......they only have one brand it's in a spray can and it is white and blue. It works on all black appliances......you don't have to buff. Clean first with a sponge.just wipe off all grease and food off of stove....spray the Stainless Steel Spray, wipe. DONE.

• marshacarlin
    16 years ago

wow, glad I stumbled on this discussion. We're building a new kitchen and are considering black textured formica counters and thought of black stove and sink (not ceramic--I thnk it looks like a corian type finish on ther sink.) Has anyone had experience with dark (but not shiny)countertops vs lighter ones for ease of cleaning and also any comments on keeping a dark sink clean vs. stainless would be very helpful. Great site!

• catbird
    16 years ago

From what I've read on the kitchens forum I gather that the shiny black countertops (polished black granite, for example) do show every smudge and fingerprint, but the matte or honed or textured black finishes are not so bad about that. You might do a search on that forum or post a question if you haven't already.

• leanne-rn
    16 years ago

I also have a black glass top stove with a black microwave over it and here is what I do and it works well for me. About once a week I clean my stove top with Weiman Glass Stove Top cleaner. (Any glass cook top cleaner will do.) I just squirt a little on the stove especially on the places where I see evidence of spills, etc. and then I use a damp non-scratch pad to "scrub" it with. Then I rinse it with a wet paper towel and then dry/buff it with a dry paper towel. No streaks!! It takes a few minutes, but these types of cleaners help protect the surface from spills and make cleaning them up much, much easier.

The rest of the time I clean it with pure white vinegar (undiluted). I spray it on and wipe it off with a paper towel. Using commercial cleaners (Windex for sure) will result in a "rainbow effect" or streakiness. I too suffer with the kitty paws that "magically" appear overnight and also my litter box is close enough that the dust carries and easily settles onto the stove, so usually once a day I wipe it with a dry microfiber cloth.

I hope this helps. I can't say enough about pure white vingar and a good papertowel!!!

• hazmom
    16 years ago

Use microfiber cloths to buff after regular cleaning

• anne1929
    15 years ago

I have a (matte) black side by side Refrigerator with Ice and Water dispensers in the Freezer Door, All water is filtered by Refrigerator and Freezer filter.

I have white deposits from water and ice dispensers even with the filter in place.

What can I use to remove these white deposits. I have tried Vinegar both heated and unheated. I still cannot remove the white "crust" from dispenser area.

• minuspa
    15 years ago

The best way to keep a black top range/stove clean is paint it white, LOL.

I used to have a black hotpoint glass top and never had a problem keeping it clean. When I got a gas solid black Whirlpool range, keeping it clean has been a real chore. Whirlpool has its own cleaner that they recommend you use on their appliances (of course Whirlpool will tell you anything like most manufacturers will to get you to think that only their product works) but I find it still leaves streaks and takes a lot of elbow grease to get it clean. I stumbled upon using "409 Glass & Surface Cleaner", and have found it does the best in keeping it streak and film free. Much better than Whirlpools spray. I would highly recommend that anyone who has a black range use this. It cuts the time down, it leaves it looking spanking brand new, and it costs a lot less and it doesn't have to be ordered on line. You can get it at most grocery stores, discount stores and at places like Lowes and Home Depot.

• wiredgirl
    15 years ago

Talking from experience, if you are considering black, reconsider. I have had black counters for 15 years and recently got new ones in a light granite blend. What a difference! I could have dusted the black hourly and it still looked horrible. They show every single speck of dust, every smear, etc. Yes, the miracle clothes are wonderful, but until you can figure out a way to never again have dust in the house it is a losing battle. I can't believe the difference with my new ones, although I do wonder how actually clean they are sometimes now that they don't show anything. :) I guarantee if you get black, they will be clean because you will spend your life trying to get them to look decent. Never, ever again.

• steven_who_frontier_com
    13 years ago

I have found that careing for my black appliances is not unlike careing for my black car. If you keep a good coat of wax on the paint, nothing will stick to it. Not water stains, scuff marks or fingerprints.
    I used a high quality carnauba auto wax that is mainly for showing your car indoors, its a soft wax that doesnt last long out in the harsh wet road conditions. It's called P21-S, mainley available only online. It works PERFECT for all my black appliances. They are now very, very shiny and soft to the touch. Not shure yet how often I'll need to repeat the wax job, but what the heck. They are now absolutely gorgeous. One last thing. I wouldnt recommend useing this soft product on your stove top or oven door.

• johnbear55_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

After trying every idea including the car wax, I found the answer. MICROFIBER!I now just wash the stove with hot soapy water, rinse with clear water and wipe with a microfiber cloth. It is magic, not a streak.

• shon21shon_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

has anyone tried rain-x?

• Newfey
    12 years ago

I have found a solution that works on my new Frigidaire Black and Stainless free standing kitchen range. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and picked up a pack of Microfiber towels and a bottle of Hope's Perfect Kitchen and it works like a charm.

• jannie
    12 years ago

My favorite cleaner is a spray called "Cinch". It comes in a red plastic spray bottle and is made by the same company that makes "Spic and Span". Costs only $2.49. I use it with two-sided miracle cloths, one side for scrubbing, the other side is soft. I clean everything except wood with it. Appliances, windows, counters, even spot-cleaning floors (except wood,haha). Also, if you see a lot of streeaks, your kichen may be TOO sunny. Consider curtains (even sheers) to block some of the sunlight. The streaks are really an optical illusion if you clean frequently. By the way , in my kitchen I have a black stove and range hood fan and almond dishwasher and refrigerator. My countertops are old-fashioned formica and the floor is Marmoleum/linoleu-cork. Talk about a retro combination. Black and almond.

• cmf10
    11 years ago

If u use a wet micro fiber cloth to wipe down appliance & a dry micro fiber to dry it. Works great for me.

• brguest
    10 years ago

I moved into a new home this month. I was excited about having black appliances in the kitchen. Then I experienced the same problem of keeping them clean and dust free. I tried soap and water and rinsing-then drying. Still had streaks. Windex also left streaks. Thought maybe it was because the stove was hot-so the next time, I waited until it cooled down. It still left streaks-tried plain tap water and buffing-nope. Was going to try vinegar, but hadn't gotten around to it-but then I read some posts about vinegar helping-so I took a paper towel and poured some white vinegar directly on it-wiped the stove top and dried it with a clean paper towel. Voila-clean-streakfree stove top. Will find out in the morning how well it keeps the dust off. lol If that works-I am going to buy a spray bottle to put vinegar in. Might try cutting it with some distilled water-just a little at first-and try using a microfiber towel to dry instead of paper towels. I am afraid they will be too abraisive over the long haul. Will try to remember and repost my results-or let you know if I find something else that works better.

• AUBRURNHAIR54
    10 years ago

I acutally came in here looking for a how to for getting stains out of a black acrylic sink (yep, the do stain) sort of a grayish brown.
    But I found I could actually help too. For the black stove top (glass and the stove body) The microwave (exterior) I keep a spray bottle of PURE rubbing alchohol right on the counter. This not only works great on the appliances, but on the clear plastic table cover I keep over my "permanently set" table of a lace table cloth and placemats.
    I stole the plastic table cover over the mats idea from a student. Until then, I had given up on using mats because they look horrible after one or two uses and sometimes even worse after they have gone thru the wash :/
    As far as the rubbing alchohol, I know someone who worked with acrylics and this was the best way to clean them and keep them from getting cloudy.
    But, back to my dilema...is there a product to clean acrylic sinks besides the soft scrub line? They do not work on the stains and I would never use an abrassive.

• AUBRURNHAIR54
    10 years ago

I acutally came in here looking for a how to for getting stains out of a black acrylic sink (yep, the do stain) sort of a grayish brown.
    But I found I could actually help too. For the black stove top (glass and the stove body) The microwave (exterior) I keep a spray bottle of PURE rubbing alchohol right on the counter. This not only works great on the appliances, but on the clear plastic table cover I keep over my "permanently set" table of a lace table cloth and placemats.
    I stole the plastic table cover over the mats idea from a student. Until then, I had given up on using mats because they look horrible after one or two uses and sometimes even worse after they have gone thru the wash :/
    As far as the rubbing alchohol, I know someone who worked with acrylics and this was the best way to clean them and keep them from getting cloudy.
    But, back to my dilema...is there a product to clean acrylic sinks besides the soft scrub line? They do not work on the stains and I would never use an abrassive.

• Krissi13
    10 years ago

For smudging, you will need to keep microfiber towels on hand. Dry completely with one towel. Then follow up with a 2nd clean and dry microfiber towel to remove all smudges.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I wouldn't want to use rubbing alcohol around my gas stove.

• RosalieL
    9 years ago

Although there were some great ideas offered on how to clean black appliances I don't recall seeing anything about black sinks. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep a black sink looking good and get rid of stains (they are brownish in color on a black sink). Any help will be appreciated!

• ddhds70
    8 years ago

I just used a damp Mr Clean Magic Eraser followed by a terry cloth dish towel and it took all of the streaks and greasy look off. Works Great!!! Thanks for all of the above comments and ideas.

• ctchambers22
    8 years ago

I couldn't get smudge marks off my handles of my black refrigerator. I tried glass cleaner, rubbing alcohol, a special glass cleaner who h used to take it off but recently it didn't remove those smudges. I called kitchen aide and they said to only use Affresh but I couldn't find it in a spray (only in a pod form to clean out a washer.). But in desperation I used a product called "goof-off" (Not goo-gone) and it took it right off. Totally surprised me but the refrigerator looks brand new. It didn't leave a streak but I used a soft cloth. Kitchen aid said NO PAPER TPWELS BC THEY SCRATCH. I hope this is helpful.

• maggie200
    8 years ago

Where do people buy the best microfiber cloths. A friend gave me a thick, ribbed one that was wonderful. Can't get him to confess where he got it. Some say car supply places. That didn't work. Grocery stores - no. Online users are conflicted which is good. also I have found that the products that come with many appliances aren't the best. Just another way to upsell.

I have a glasstop stove and a black sink. Barkeepers Friend is excellent but will take two steps because when it dries it shows white powder and you go around wiping it down again.

The trend these days is baking soda mixed with vinegar and a bit of water for glass top anything. Just beautiful results with that little bit of soda grit that makes it. Last longer too. Wear sunglasses when you look at it.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

I knew better than to get a shiny black cooktop...but did it anyway. I could clean it and come back an hour later to find dust settling on it. Long story short, KA agreed to exchange the top of the stove with a speckled version. I had a speckled top on a different KA stove top and knew it showed virtually nothing. The way I keep it and all the other black appliances in my kitchen is a 50/50 mix of alcohol/water and a microfiber cloth. If needed, Barkeeper's Friend or the cream for glass cooktops will get the grungy stuff off but always followup with the alcohol/water and microfiber combo. Buff to a glossy shine. No smudges, no streaks :) I also use this on my granite.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

I knew better than to get a shiny black cooktop...but did it anyway. I could clean it and come back an hour later to find dust settling on it. Long story short, KA agreed to exchange the top of the stove with a speckled version. I had a speckled top on a different KA stove top and knew it showed virtually nothing. The way I keep it and all the other black appliances in my kitchen is a 50/50 mix of alcohol/water and a microfiber cloth. If needed, Barkeeper's Friend or the cream for glass cooktops will get the grungy stuff off but always followup with the alcohol/water and microfiber combo. Buff to a glossy shine. No smudges, no streaks :) I also use this on my granite.

• PRO
    KrystalHouseKeeping
    8 years ago

For black appliances, I found that the following process works best, mixing equal parts white vinegar and hot water and pouring onto the black crud. Let soak for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with baking soda and scrub with a micro fiber cloth, I had to use a razor blade for the worst spots, but the prior process worked for the most of it.

This process worked well for the sinks and oven as well.

• catbird
    8 years ago

For good microfiber cloths at reasonable prices, try the automotive supply department at a big box store. Buy a lot of them so you can wash a load of just microfiber so they won't pick up lint in the wash. Don't use fabric softener on them.

• maggie200
    8 years ago

Thanks catbird. Many people wanted to know where to buy the micro cloth that was best but I have never gotten an answer even in other posts.

• societykillsme
    8 years ago

Omg thank u jiggreen I was scrubbing the stove for like thirty minutes trying to get rid of the streaks and thirty seconds of scrubbing with water and vinegar and they are gone.

• Denise Reneé
    8 years ago

I just cleaned my black stove top for the first time. First I wiped it with a damp rag with some Dawn dish soap to get the spills and drips then I shined it up with a paper towel and aerosol glass cleaner.

• Maryscott O'Connor
    7 years ago

Hate hate HATE my black stovetop. Came new with this house, and I'm too cheap to replace a brand new stove... But boy oh boy am I secretly counting the months and years till I can get a stainless.

My last stove was white, and even THAT was preferable to this; at least with white I could see the problem clearly and deal with it. Black seems to attract greasy smears and innumerable crumbs of all sorts. I literally have a clean stove top for the hour or so after a thorough cleaning... Then it returns to attracting dust, fur (yes, cats), crumbs, and prints.

HAAAAAATE it.

• maggie200
    7 years ago

Read the above from Denise Renee. Do the same for black sinks. There is no reason why you can't keep it up. If it shows grease etc. then that is something you can see and get off. Dawn Blue dishwashing liquid and on a warm dish cloth takes care of it all. Cat hairs you can just wipe off. It is fast cleaning and sparkles like no other color.

• Maryscott O'Connor
    7 years ago

Maggie, maybe she and I have stoves made of different material; I've tried what she suggested. I've also tried virtually every solution known to humankind... Nothing works. Especially vis a vis the rapid accumulation of crumbs et al. I suspect that happens with wry stove -- it's simply that black tends to show EVERYTHING.

I've even considered painting it, with a Giani-type system. I used their stainless steel paint system on my dishwasher and on the oven hood with great success; the reason I didn't try it with the stove top had more to do with numerous reviews noting the rapid deterioration of the paint around the burners. Naturally, that's to be expected -- high heat and constant use with the dragging of pots and pans would result in a far less pristine surface that the dishwasher, which has remained perfect. I figured, why bother, it'll only need re-doing every 6 months... But now, having tolerated this black stovetop's weaknesses, I'm leaning closer and closer to painting it anyway and just DEALING with the need to repaint...

• maggie200
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Of course it can be so. I can't imagine what the difference in surfaces is. Mine is glass and is 30 years old. My sink is the same age and shines up with Dawn soap and water. No Microsoft cloth needed but I like them on the sink and stove.

If you paint it Maryscott O'Connor I would like to see what it looks like. Good luck.

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

I just clean the black stovetop with vinegar and water... or windex on occasion, ha. Sponge and soap if it's really dirty prior. Never had issies wtih streaking unless I happened to fry something, then it does take some soap to get all the grease off.

• Jaya Jaya
    7 years ago

The only thing that keeps black stuff good is a tiny TINY spray of coconut oil on a microfibre cloth. Especially those bluddy sinks.

For everything else, a tiny smidge of coconut oil, polished in, so that the microfibre takes most of it off. Then polish again with a clean microfibre. The coconut oil never goes rancid and it dissolves/loosens all the dirt in the first pass. The final polish lifts off the last traces leaving a streak free surface.

I use this on stainless steel as well as my black things. If you do it properly, there is NOT, I repeat NOT, any greasy film left. And dust doesn't stick to it either - but the key is getting it off on the last polish - hence a second clean and dry microfibre cloth.

• kjziebell
    7 years ago

I have black granite counters and a black stove top. I clean the counters with SCI Clean Counters which I purchased at Home Depot. That stuff works great, no problem. The black stove top is a giant pain! Never again. I'm going to try the suggestion of the coconut oil. I've been using Windex or 409 and a microfiber cloth but that lasts for about 10 minutes. Thanks for the coconut oil suggestion. Also, for stainless someone on some house discussion recommended the CLR Stainless Cleaner. That stuff rocks.

• yoomee34
    6 years ago

I have a black stove and I need help to clean the back where you turn the burners on, no matter what I use it is smeared or takes the black finish off( I am thinking about taking the black all of).

• lsynadinos
    6 years ago

I clean with Barkeeper's Friend Multi-Purpose Cooktop Cleaner. I do a light scraping with a razor blade for cooked on crud that won't scrub off, rinse with water and dry, spritz with white vinegar and dry then wipe down with a coat of Pledge for dust repellent and shine. Works on stainless and black surfaces.

• Jaya Jaya
    6 years ago

I still prefer the coconut oil... all these cleaners that are commercially produced don't seem food safe to me, no matter WHAT the companies say. They aren't in it for your health!

• eileen_clifford83
    6 years ago

I use a Clorox Disinfecting Wipe first then a quick rubdown with my kitchen towel.

• momjk
    6 years ago

Perhaps some of the problems are from using all the cleansers? Have had black Kenmore stove (not a smooth top), fridge, and Fisher Peykel dishwasher drawers for about 7+ years now. The ONLY thing I use on them is my dishcloth after doing dishes! Wipe with one hand and dry with tea/hand towel with other as I go. If anything is cooked on, I just leave wet cloth on for awhile, come back and maybe scrub a bit. Haven't had problems keeping them looking new.

I only use cotton for cleaning cloths. Will NOT use microfibres for ANY cleaning as there is mounting evidence concerning amount of minute plastic particles in our water from items such as these.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry