Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning car mats made of carpet backed with plastic

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 0:52

We ordered removable carpet mats for our new car. We got clear matting to put over that, but it was too lightweight and did not stay in place. In no time DD got the carpet mats very muddy. I bought new heavier clear vinyl mats that will not shift around (I hope), but need to clean the carpeting ones. I took them out assuming I could machine wash them like I did the ones in our old car, only to find they have a rigid plastic backing.

What do you use to clean something like that? Its not in the car care manual because they are not standard equipment, but an add-on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning car mats made of carpet backed with plastic

I've cleaned mine with the spray foam upholstery cleaner that comes in a can. Also I've used my bissle green mean machine with carpet shampoo.

Since we've moved to a milder climate I haven't had the problem your talking about. Just vacumn and spot clean them now. When we lived in Michigan I started removing them in the winter and using the heavier clear vinyl mats during the winter months.

o

I live in the Northeast, with harsh winters. I can't wash my car mats easily in winter. I remove them and shake them out about once a month. I go to a professional carwash rarely (like once or twice a year) where they thoroughly vacuum.

o

In the winter, I soak them in the bathtub in hot water and detergent and oxyclean, then scrub with a brush and spray rinse them. Then I prop them up on the sides of the tub so that the water drains off them and they slowly dry.

o

I always threw them in my TL, cloth side out, with some old towels and rags. I really works well, then lay them in the sun to dry.

o

I always laid them on the driveway, dampened them a bit with the hose, sprinkled on some laundry detergent (or dripped, if you prefer liquid), then scrubbed all over with a stiff brush, finally rinsing thoroughly with a power washer.

I've used this method for 20+ years and it works very, very, very well. After drying they look new (excepting the wear spots from my heels).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here