Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile Floors Everywhere... I'm Going Insane!

Posted by dana_b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 0:03

So, I have recently moved into a place with tile EVERYWHERE. I was kinda excited, thinking it would be much better with two small children. But... it's not. I never, ever seem to get them clean enough and it is driving me mad. I plan on putting my income tax refund to extremely good use and buying a steamer. However, I have scoured the internet for info and quite frankly, I'm overwhelmed.

If anyone can give me some advice on what has and/or hasn't worked for them, I'd be so very grateful. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile Floors Everywhere... I'm Going Insane!

You can find steam machines at all price levels. My suggestion is to avoid the steam mops because, in my opinion, they don't heat the water hot enough and don't have large enough water tanks for whole house cleaning. And many have a proprietary mop head cover, and they charge you a lot for extra ones.

The machines in the $400-$800 range have some things in common - stainless steel tank and a gauge that shows the temperature of the water in the tank and the tank pressure. Any of these machines should do a great job and last a long time. They generally have alligator clips on the mop head that clamp down on the cloth of your choice. I use microfiber cloths bought in bulk and change them out over and over again when I am cleaning a large, very dirty area.

I have the VaporClean TR6, bought used on Ebay. A friend of mine has another brand with a bigger tank - I can't remember the name of it. And the Ladybug is the well-known name in the industry.

I neither recommend nor not-recommend the machine I have because I have nothing to compare it to. No one seems to have done a comparison of their performance, maybe because the process of boiling water is so simple that they all will perform well. Once you get at the level of the stainless steel tank and the 2 or 3 liter size tank, you might then want to look at features such as the length of the electrical cord and ease of use of the handle.

My Vapor Clean TR-6 has two design flaws. The first is that you have to continuously hold down a button to get steam and your thumb get sore. Newer models have a better button system that stays on until you turn it off. It would cost me $80 to upgrade to that, so I use a rubber band to keep it on and spraying.

The other flaw is that it cannot be opened from the bottom. There is a drain hole and a nut, but the design of the machine doesn't give you room to get a tool down there to turn the nut. Maybe they have since redesigned it, but I have to turn the machine upside down in a sink to drain it. It is lightweight and not a problem, but still . . .

The 3-liter tank machine my friend has takes longer to heat up.

o
RE: Tile Floors Everywhere... I'm Going Insane!

You may also want to check into a Hoover Floormate. I have one that I use on my hardwood and tile floors, I love it. They have one that comes with attachments for grout and small spaces (great for behind the toilet, etc.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here