Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of creating a pot

Posted by clay_in_my_hair (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 21, 06 at 19:05

Hi, I'd like to start a business selling wheel-thrown ceramic pots for plants. I need to create a business plan with a projected cost of producing 6" high-fire glazed pots with drip trays. Does anyone have any information, advice etc? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of creating a pot

The original cost of setting up a studio, which you probably already have, to begin with. the cost of the materials: clay, glaze materials,kiln and kiln shelves and furniture and the time it takes to order and organize them. The wheel and matenance and tools. Maintaining and organizing and cleaning the studio. The time comsuming things you tend forget about like wedging,stacking the kiln, fireing and dealing with the unsucessful pieces and then promoting and selling... I guess a way to do it is to keep pretty careful track of your time for a full cycle from the the beginning of the first day until you empty the kiln and pack up the stuff and devide it over all the pieces. I don't know a potter who doesn't find the priceing the most onerous task of all. I also don't know any who gotten rich thru their work. I also don't know many who wish they were doing something else.

Is that at all helpful? Good luck. Tache

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here