Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lia_sc

Teapot ornaments with glass ball and polyclay

Lia_SC
21 years ago

Got a question about this as seen on Carol Duvall (one of the holiday workshops) but it was just a featured ornament, they didn't explain the how-to's. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

I typed this up last night and the computer ate it. :-(

Sorry "V"!

So... let me try to describe it: You start with a clear glass ball Christmas tree ornament and make a teapot out of it by making a the handle and spout from snakes of clay. Then you put a disc on bottom and another circle of clay on top around that protrusion thingy :-D where the ornament hanger goes. Then bake. Then paint.

The question is: how to keep the handle and spout from sagging as they bake. Would a nest made of polyester fiber fill be a good way to support it?

Also: how to paint it? I saw a picture and they looked sooooo smooth. As if they were spray painted. But aren't the spray products bad with polymer clay? How else would you paint the glass ball?

I saw a pic and they are really, really cute (I can just see Mary Engelbreit-style designs painted on, or maybe cane slices on the sides)! "V" wants to make them as favors for a club Christmas party. If you have any ideas, please help us out here, 'cause now I want to try them, too! :-D

Comments (4)

• ArtsyCraftsy
    21 years ago

Lia is there a pic on the website? I must have missed this. I know people use loose batting to support objects without marring their finish. I don't know if there are other options. Maybe some spray products might be bad like enamel, but would spray acrylic work? Perhaps they had the paint on the inside, like the marbled balls? If it were a frosted glass ball it might give the illusion that the paint was on the outside. Or maybe they used a glass medium to get a smooth finish? Not much help...just musing.
    They sound wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing a picture when you are done, Hint, hint!

• Lia_SC
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Karen, I've emailed you; are you able to receive mail at your yahoo address?

There are spray acrylics? What product name? Or am I just drawing a blank?

There is no picture on the hgtv site; I think it must have been one of those ornaments someone sent in for the Holiday Workshop tree and it just got a passing glance, or maybe a brief mention.

I'll get to work on my version right away ;-) Uhhhh... as soon as I get some clear glass ball ornaments!

• ArtsyCraftsy
    21 years ago

Still having mail trouble, Lia. I did get the attachment saved but it did not preview any pics. I will try again tonite.
    Yes there are spray acrylics. I can't remember the name but the can was pink. I got it at Kmart & used it on my mesh patio umbrella.

• ArtsyCraftsy
    21 years ago

I finally got a good look at the ornaments last night. It looks to me like they clay and the ball were painted with glossy spray paint to make the whole thing look like ceramic, then the lid & base were painted in contrasting colors. or maybe it just looks glossy from a spray sealer. So in that case you could use balls of any color. But I thought like you that spray paints or sealers did not work well with poly clay.
    The spout & handle would not have to match. It would look cute to cane them in a strip or check and then pick that up on the lid & base, ala Mary Englebreit. Or they could be stamped with a patterned stamp, then the same stamp could go on tissue which could be decoupaged onto the ball after baking.

Karen

Sponsored