Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have a kiln & do ceramics?

Posted by monica2001 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 02 at 19:09

Hi, I have a small kiln and have only had it about two years. I need advice from someone who has had a hobby ceramics kiln for years. Is anyone out there that I can ask questions? My first question: At the Senior Center I used to attend in TN, we would fire a small amount of greenware mixed in with the glaze. The firing cone would be for glaze. The greenware would not be anything that food would be kept in. I was recently told that "that cannot be done - it will explode!" What do you think? Monica in TX

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have a kiln & do ceramics?

Hi Monica! depends on the glazes and the clay bodies you are using. If you are using low fire glazes, like a cone 4-6 I don't see why it would be a problem to do greenware at the same time since there are plenty that fire cone 4-6. Just make sure your greenware & glazes are compatible.
I have not mixed items in a kiln myself, so there may be some other reason I'm unaware of.

Karen

o
one more thing....

If I was mixing I'd probably load the glazed pieces first, then greenware on top. That way if there was any fumes or moisture from the greenware it would rise and not effect the glaze.

Karen

o

Thanks Karen for your remarks. What surprised me was when I was told it might explode! I could understand that greenware should be fired to a higher cone to be used for food. I understand that the fumes could affect color, but explode? I once fired gold accidently on a non-overglaze compatible glaze. It sure looked funny, but never exploded. It is my understanding that if something is poured wrong and has an air bubble inside it will explode, but never glaze and greenware. By the way, your idea of having the glaze on the bottom because of fumes is excellent. My kiln is so small (11 x 14") that loading is a challenge. Thanks, MonicaTX

o

I always thought exploding was due to excess miosture in the clay. That an excessively high temp for the greenware could "solidify" the outside too soon while trapping moisture inside the piece- especially if it is thick. Heat would cause the moisture to turn to steam and the force would "explode" the piece. I have had this happen with some pieces my students did in art class. It can break other pieces in the kiln, too.
Your kiln is petite!...sounds like a jewelry kiln size. I'd like to get one that size for silver Artclay and glass fusing.

Karen

o

What they mean is that if the greenware has air bubbles or moisture in it, it can explode. If a piece of greenware does explode, sometimes pieces of it can stick to the glazed pieces. Also, sometimes the fumes from the greenware can effect the color of the glazes, especially reds and oranges.

Cones 4-6 are high fire. Cones 06-04 etc., are low fire. Probably just an oversite.

Cindy

o

Thanks Cindy!...I should have had the 0's.

o

Another reason not to mix greenware and glazed items is that a glost firing can be stepped up much faster than a bisque firing. When firing such a mixed batch, the needs of the greenware will have to be the prime concern as there are many important changes taking place.
Also, as others have said, be VERY sure that there is no residual moisture in the greenware (and I am using the word greenware in the sense of "raw unfired clay").

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here