Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firing problem

Posted by Jesse_G (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 13:32

I'm having trouble with the outcome of my glaze firings. None of the pieces that I fire turn out to be the color they are supposed to be, they have pinholes and there are bubbles/blisters in the clay. I'm using Dick Blick Stoneware Clay cone 5-10 and Dick Blick Stoneware Glaze cone 4-7. I'm bisquing at 1940 degrees and glaze firing 2232 degrees. I'm ramping the glaze firing 180 degrees per hour for the first five hours, then 270 degrees per hour for the rest of the firing. If any more information is needed, let me know. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! Jesse

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firing problem

Hi, seems to me you appear to be firing backwards.Your bisque firing should be hotter than the glaze firing.
Gasses escape in the bisque firing,which is why you are getting blisters in the glaze.Stay 1-2 cones cooler than you did for the bisque.

o
RE: Firing problem

The original clay fire should be the hottest and the longest. The glaze needs to be fired much cooler. Check with whoever you get your firing cones from. Also, don't open the kiln until it is cool or your glaze will craze. Hope your having fun with your kiln. I love mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here