Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you make your own molds?

Posted by Kathy_in_Delaware (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 02 at 13:08

I just started making my own molds for my polymer clay out of rubber stamps. I made one of a santa and and then made it into a magnet.
What types of molds have you made and out of what? What did you do with the final product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you make your own molds?

Hi Kathy -- I've made one mold using Super Sculpey. I needed to reproduce a horse bead. Below is the link to the directions I used. -- Michele :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Sided Mold

o

Hi Kathy!
I use Sculpey push molds- the head, hands & feet ones. I also use plastic candy molds for paper clay & tiolet paper casting. I have never created a mold from a rubber stamp but I do like to stamp into the raw clay.
Lots of people use buttons & jewelry pieces to make molds. Even statues and doll faces to get the face image for their poly clay creations. Poly clay is a great material for making molds!

o

I've made some molds out of polyclay. I like the results because you get the reverse effect of stamping into the clay (innies become outies and vice versa). :-D Some of my stamps just don't work stamping into the clay because the wrong area, like background e.g, will be raised or puffed out.
I came across a neat kind of tutorial the other day for using stamps with clay...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/stampclay1.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here