Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old clay

Posted by txbev (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 1, 06 at 12:05

Hi! Newby here. I "inherited" a LOT of Fimo & Sculpey clay that must be 10 yrs old. It's unopened & most feel soft. Is it still good? Sure would like to play with it. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old clay

Hi Newby, I think if it's soft... it's good. why don't you try making a few simple pieces, bake them, and see how they hold up. The only time I ever had a problem was when the old clay was hard. It didn't soften with kneading like it usually does. I put it through a pasta maker over and over again but it never became pliable enough to work with. What are you going to make?

o
RE: old clay

Please check out Polymer Clay Central. I have seen in there where people will put old clay in a sock and bash it to make it workable. I know from experience that you can get conditioners that soften up the hard stuff but it takes time a and work to get is pliable. Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Polymer Clay Central

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here