Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artsycraftsy_gw

those unfinished craft store ornaments?

ArtsyCraftsy
21 years ago

.....the unglazed clay ones that most people just paint? What kind of clay are they? If I wanted to buy some glaze to paint them, then get them fired, how do I choose what glazes to buy? I bought about 20 last year after christmas for less than .25 each

thanks,

Karen

Comments (9)

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    21 years ago

They are 'probably' a low fire earthenware. 'Usually,' but not necessarily all, inexpensive bisque from ceramic stores is low fire.

I would test one with some low fire glazes and see how it turns out. Or if you have a borken one, you could test fire that.

Cindy

• ArtsyCraftsy
    Original Author
    21 years ago

thanks, Cindy! That's what I was thinking. I do not have my own kiln, so I need to pay for kiln time & was hoping to do them all in one shot.

Karen

• monica2001
    21 years ago

Before you do all the work, I suggest you ask if a kiln owner will even fire them. I have never fired those, but have heard people talking - saying they might damage the kiln. I wonder if anyone out there has fired the Walmart type stuff? Anyone out there???

• minnie_tx
    21 years ago

I don't think you fire the Walmart type stuff. I think you can just use those new paints and bake in the oven. I just pulled out some things we poured and fired at a ceramicclass back in the 70's. I still have to finish my sister's bisque snowman punch bowl and her Christmas village. I wonder if I'll ever get around to it. 3 years ago I had the inside of the punchbowl and inside of the cups glazed and fired at the senior center. Artsy, you might check in your town to see if they have a kiln at a Senior Center. They might do it for you.

• minnie_tx
    21 years ago

Do you mean those flat ornaments? I think they might be plaster of paris based. They sell a card with paints to use on them in the same area.

• ArtsyCraftsy
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I do have some plaster ones, but these are completely dimensional hollow ceramic. What damage would happen? Would they shatter? I could check the senior center but I don't want to load a kiln with potential "shrappnel"!

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    21 years ago

If they've been fired once, they are not like to become shrapnel. That's usually only a risk when it's greenware.

Did you consider painting them? Or staining them? Just another idea.

Cindy

• ArtsyCraftsy
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I guess most people do paint them, but I really wanted that glossy ceramic finish with a crackle effect to it. Or maybe some of those cool retro glazes with the multi-colored blotches!

Karen

• minnie_tx
    21 years ago

I'm wondering if you couldn't use some of those new paints for glass that you "fire" in the oven. I bet you could get a nice glossy look that way.
    I remember painting bisque and then using a glossy spray finish on pieces.