Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to clay, need help starting out!

Posted by jbubriski (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 10:30

Hiiiiiiiiii,
I'm not actually going to be the one using clay, but my girlfriend is. She originally wanted to go to art school, but her parents wouldn't let her. I want to get her a "clay setup" for christmas, but I don't know where to start!? I would like to get her some type of clay that isn't too messy, and wouldn't require a lot (or any) equipment. Something simple, but good for her to get started on. Also, what kind of tools (if any) are recommended, and if I would need a mat of some sort for her desk. Finally, where do I get this stuff! I think there is a "Michaels" nearby, so I'm guessing they would have whatever you guys suggest! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to clay, need help starting out!

Hi! Sorry there have been no replies to your request. I have worked with polymer clay but in no way am I an expert. I can, however, get you started.

There is polymer clay, which you need a dedicated table top oven to use, and air-dried clay which is self explanatory. The air-dried clay would be the best to start with since you need to keep costs down. DAS Pronto is a good clay to start with. It comes in terra cottta and white. I usually get the terra cotta and I dry it in my regular oven.

She would probably need a set of tools to help her sculpt with. They are inexpensive and can be bought at Michael's. Michael's has just about everything to work with clay with. If you want to go to the expense of buying a pasta maker, yep, a spaghetti machine, that would be nice, too, but absolutely not necessary to have. It depends on what kind of sculpting she wants to do. They have books, etc. Someone in that department should be able to help you with your selections. They also usually have a 40% coupon in the Sunday paper that you could use on the pasta machine if you want to buy it.

Hope this meager information helps you.

o
RE: New to clay, need help starting out!

If you are still looking for information, please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delica Treasures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here