Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
read only if you can tolerate newbie questions

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 19:35

I found a package of several pieces of different-colored modeling clay at the $ store and thought it might be a good alternative to salt dough. The only warning on the package was related to choking. It said it did not need baking, would not dry out.
QUESTIONS: If I WANTED to bake a sculpture, could I?
What kind of glue do you use to adhere one piece to another?
Can it be painted?
Thanks for your patience.
Chery2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: read only if you can tolerate newbie questions

Chery2: I have not used modeling clay and can only speak from my experience with polymer clay. IT can be painted and baked. I use Weldbond adhesive when adhering polymer clay. Could you e-mail the manufacturer with your question? If you decide to experiment, be careful of possible fumes when baking. I use a dedicated toaster oven. If you want to try baking the modeling clay I would suggest clipping two pans together so the fumes are contained and bake them at a low temp. Open the pans outside to disperse any fumes. Good luck. Hope someone more knowledgeable comes to your rescue.

o

The modeling clay I have doesn't get hard in the oven or by air. It's meant to be played with over and over... nothing permanent. I bought it for my grand kids. It's better than play doh because it doesn't crumble or dry out. I've had this stuff for several years and it's still pliable.

o

I would definitely contact the manufacturer to see if there are any chemical/toxic concerns with baking the clay. Its probably very safe if used as instructed, but when you start altering what you do with it, I'm concerned for your safety. Check to be sure. Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!

o

BTW, EVERYONE was a "newbie" at one time or another. Its only when we help each other graciously and greatly, that we all win. Thanks for posting! (I've been at GW since 1996, but this is the first time I'VE posted a this forum, too! Smiles.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here