Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help my cat

Posted by ess1 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 9:23

I bought a cute ceramic cat, garage sale so you know it was cheap / but adorable. it has a few chips like the tip of one ear and so on. I used sanded grout to fill in the damaged areas but it keeps rubbing off , what product should I be using that will hold so I can paint the whole thing over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help my cat

Hi, I usually hang out in Garden Junk...just happened to see your post and was intrigued (we're "owned" by 8 cats/kittens).
Best thing I know of to do this type of repair is a product called Water Putty (you can get it at Home Depot, Lowe's and I would guess many other hardware type stores). I am assuming this will be an indoor piece. Water putty is a powder that's sort of a gold/amber color and is mixed with water, then hardens pretty quickly. Mix up an appropriate amount and mold it to the shape desired. When it is totally dry you can paint it with acrylic paint. (depending on the final color you want it might help to add that color to the WP before you add water, then stirr well and add the water).

Now, if it is going outdoors you can use the same product, BUT you have to completely seal the hardened WP before painting with acrylic. I haven't tried to use exterior latex paints or sealer, but the co that makes it says those products will seal it enough for outdoors.

HTH,
Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here