Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clydeskid

About Fimo Clay

clydeskid
18 years ago

I have noticed some projects using it and they seem to really sfascinate me but, honestly how hard and how expensive is it? I would like to try it but not too sure.

Comments (5)

• butterflybush
    18 years ago

I have made faces with sculpey and hands and shoes and created Santa's with dowels and made clothes for them. It is fun to play with. I buy flesh colored for doll faces. Why not buy one package and play with it, bake it, and see if you like it. Enjoy yourself, let yourself create! In the link below you will see what people with lots of practice can make. Enjoy looking at it. I had such a laugh. The woman is very good. Here's my Santa with flesh colored sculpey and a life size daffodil with yellows mixed with translucent. BB

Here is a link that might be useful: Fimo and Sculpey dolls

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

BB you do extremely fine work. Congratulations. Back in the late 70's and early 80's when my oldest sister was still here she used Sculpey all the time. I don't think Fimo had been invented or marketed at that time.
    this photo is a clothespin doll she bought and gave me one Christmas. She gave me others - all made by someone up in Longwood Illinois. I can't find them but when I do I'll post them. Raggedy Ann, Girl Scout, the playboy bunnie (with tiny "cheeks" in the back with her puff tail!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• butterflybush
    18 years ago

Thank you. I am no pro. I just bought some and play with it now and then. I have made a few Christmas tree ornaments and a few santas and such. I like your clothes pin doll. I bet the playboy bunny is cute! What are they made for? Hanging on a tree? I was just trying to encourage Clydeskid to go get some clay and play (even if it isn't the real mud kind!) I bought some of the Crayola Model Magic and made some roses with it. It is self hardening. Just play with it. You may surprise yourself! ( I hope she hasn't given up hope, this IS a very barren forum!!) BB

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

Yes, that was an ornament. When my oldest sister was alive she would bring us a yearly surprise box of Christmas tree ornaments. The clothespin dolls she bought from someone in one of the craft shops in Longwood Illinois.

• sanfran41
    16 years ago

"I have noticed some projects using it and they seem to really sfascinate me but, honestly how hard and how expensive is it? I would like to try it but not too sure."

Fimo isn't hard to work with at all, and unlike regular ceramics doesn't require the use of a kiln, you can actually bake it yourself at home, there's a good article I put a link to in the link field that does a great job of covering the basics of how to make your own fimo beads, check that out if you're curious.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Make Your Own Fimo Beads

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH