Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceramic buisness

Posted by pondaholic (gpsax@sbcglobal.net) on
Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 8:45

We bought a ceramic buisness and have just now started firing. Does anyone here do ceramics and have some suggestions on which molds to buy and what slip recipe they use? Firing tips? We would like to eventually make this our day job. We also aquired a lot of glazes with this purchase and we prefer to use stains and painting, is there anything we could do with the glazes? We are talking lots of glazes. Thanks Norma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceramic buisness

Hi Norma... I wish you the best of luck with your new business.

You prefer stains and paint over glazes? Do you fire the pieces after they're stained and painted? Just curious. I've only used glaze.

This isn't a very active board... I'm always hoping a few experts will drop in to answer the posted questions.

You'll probably figure it all out within the first few weeks of working with the supplies you've purchased.

Hmmmmm...... then YOU will be the expert this forum needs :)

o

Norma, I don't make it into this board very often so you may have already figured out what to do with the glazes. You could try running an ad to see if anyone wanted to purchase them. I would just call a school to see if I could donate them if I were you.

o

Hi, Norma: I am a hobby ceramics person and I only use paints and glazes that can be fired. That said, the couple that own the business that I buy my greenware from get most of their business from the local schools and colleges.

You might want to invite some of the craft teachers over to see what you have already in the way of molds. Have a bisque sample ready for them to see. My friends get orders for 50 of this and 100 of that when the teachers call them each year. It would be a good steady outlet for you but you would have to charge a price they could afford.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here