Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polymer clay soap dishes?

Posted by Jamie_MT (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 03 at 18:53

Wow, I just posted on the craft forum, and then saw this link at the top of that site. Cool forum - you guys/gals should know the answer to this!

I make melt & pour soap, and I've been looking for an easy way to make soap dishes to sell with my soap. I need ridges or bumps in the bottom of the dishes (glycerin soap shouldn't sit in water), so I read about polymer clays, and I'm wondering if I could use Fimo or Sculpy to make some simple soap dishes out of. Do any of you know if these clays would work for that, if I waterproofed them with a varnish of some sort?

Any comments would be very helpful, as I haven't worked with the polymer clay before...and I need to know if I can't use it for that too. :-)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polymer clay soap dishes?

I had a poly clay dis in my bathroom for a while, with no bad effects.
I think you're right, it should probably be glazed. You could use Future floor finish or the Flecto varathane everyone uses. I think someone mentioned a boat varnish that would be good for waterproofing too.

FWIW, I would use something other than the Sculpey III since it tends to be brittle and break easily after baking.

Best wishes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clay and Ceramics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here